Anybody have favorite guitars that arent PRS?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by TRJC24PRS, May 10, 2018.

1. WA Paul

WA Paul New Member

Stunning! The few times I’ve tried Korina/Limba I found it a bit harsh, but other factors could have been at work. That’s a wonderful Thorn, love the tubular quilt and the purfling.

So you think he won’t build a model like this at Fender? Probably would be at 2x the price if they were ok with the design.

2. jep1210

jep1210 New Member

My attempt to show my S.O. that I didn't have THAT many guitars by showing her your collection, wasn't as successful as I had hoped :-D

You have some unique guitars there sir. The LesPauls are killer as is your McCarty, love that "antique" violin finish color. The backwards Strat is hysterical, how is that to play?

Fullmoon 1971 likes this.
  3. Mark Barton

Mark Barton New Member

I think this is my favourite non-PRS : 1968 LP Goldtop. I have a nice R9 50th anniversary and a firebird that are great to play. Also have a few old Gretsch, Rickenbacker and National guitars that are more favourites to look at than to play;-)
    [​IMG]

WA Paul, Ironwolf, grausch and 4 others like this.
  4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc The pullout king.

I’m stealing all of your pictures and making “For Trade” threads on TGP for PRS.

WA Paul, strat63, Alnus Rubra and 6 others like this.
  5. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

[​IMG]

It's actually a lot easier to play than it looks, sitting down the body curve works about the same as a SG or firebird and standing you don't notice it, either way you have about the fret access as a ES-150 or something that shape. If I use this for a gig I usually try to keep it covered till the last song of the set (nothing like watching a group of people who've drunk to much trying to work out what's wrong with the guitar)

You should show the S.O. this folder of how they are stored.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/76319442@N04/albums/72157651133901146

#105 Fullmoon 1971, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

My top 3 guitars right now are my CE24, an Epi Sheraton, and a Sterling Valentine. My CE24 is definitely my number one Humbucker guitar, and if I could afford it, the Sheraton would likely be replaced by an HBII Piezo. Not gonna lie though, the Sterling Valentine is something else. For being a Korean made guitar, the fit and finish is probably just as good as my CE24. The neck pickup could be a little better (I'll likely replace it eventually), but the bridge pickup sounds just like a slightly hot tele bridge should. Not to mention, the roasted maple feels awesome.

7. Parralax view

Parralax view New Member

Vanilla boring, but it's my 07 MiM Arctic white strat with rose board and Van Zandt Vintage blues in all three holes. It just plays the dream and since I had Van Zandts in my 95 strat, I replaced the ceramics. Not too shabby for pickups made in a barn in Exotic Combine, Texas...They sound a bit different in this guitar as opposed to the 95, enough to be interesting.

8. django49

django49 New Member

Well, since we are in the same time zone, IF you get this far south, you are welcome to try one out......Maybe more than one by later in 2018....I am a big believer in the korina/limba package, with certain "other options" (like an ebony board). The right pickups make a difference too.

Good thing for me that PRS has not come out with a 594 variant with a chambered korina body, korina neck, ebony board, piezo, etc. I might be a goner. But then, lately, I would prefer a longer scale, so maybe that would make it a 5.550(?) rather than implied (4).594.......

WA Paul likes this.
  9. shimmilou

shimmilou New Member

I keep a Taylor acoustic handy, and play it more than most any other guitar.

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  10. TRJC24PRS

TRJC24PRS Kiesel sucks

You sir have a very large amount of guitars lol. Hope you have a good security system.. I might go and snag that explorer haha. Im just messing with you, but whats the story on the Rebel America shape guitar?

11. rnodern

rnodern Just one more.....

I have an American Deluxe Tele that I love. I actually was inspired to buy this after a PRS 305 opened my eyes to single coil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

I always loved the Gibson map guitar and then later the Epiphone but have never found one for sale. Then a while ago my son said that I should just biuld one, so I said that he should build it so we found an old neck and I had some mahogany that was for a different project but was sacrificed for the cause and we built this together, as his first project it turned rather well (he wants to reshape the headstock like a tele though). we're looking making a thru neck version over the summer once his exams are over. sometimes gets used at gigs but only for southern rock, anything else just wouldn't be right

merciful-evans likes this.
  13. RaySachs

RaySachs New Member

Man, that's a sweet tele. To me, Fenders play like nothing else plays. Not necessarily better or worse (although sometimes, either or both), but different. Before the Silver Sky, PRS necks just felt like somewhat better versions of various Gibson and Epi and Ibanez necks, but nothing felt like a Fender except folks who were copping Fender designs. Now the Silver Sky has built a PRS version of a Fender neck and I'm sure it's awesome. But to me, a great feeling Fender neck is something that might on rare occasion be equalled but never improved on. Some Fender necks I love and some I don't, but the ones I do just feel like an extension of me - my hand wraps around them more naturally than anything else I've ever played. Unlike a lot of Fender players, I don't feel much difference between a tele and a strat - I HEAR a pretty notable difference with that big bright tele bridge pup and the strat in-between positions and neck pickup. But they feel pretty much the same to me. I think I'll always have to own at least one Fender as long as I can play a guitar...

-Ray

14. Big Mard

Big Mard Little Gassy Here

I haven't taken the time to find a replacement for a new photo hosting service.. So I just posted the link to the builders site.

I met the Mike Delaney at a Blues festival in Daytona Beach Florida a few years ago.. So I saw this guitar and fell in Love with it.
    I have the actual guitar that he uses on his website. I have couple of Godins but this one is the only one besides PRSi that get's any
    Attention.

http://delaneyguitars.com/LaGrange.html

15. TRJC24PRS

TRJC24PRS Kiesel sucks

Im sure dimebag would get a kick out of it if he was still alive.

16. Grapeshot

Grapeshot Awesomely Outrageous

Johnny Marr Jag

TRJC24PRS likes this.
  17. Rich5150

Rich5150 New Member

I have a couple of ESP's that i will not part with thats about it though.

18. Buildermike

Buildermike Can you have too many?

A Thorn Deluxe 90 has been one of my favorite non PRS guitars. Black limba body topped front and back with figure Koa. Matched with Ron's GT90's. It kicks some serious butt.

[​IMG]

19. Mark Barton

Mark Barton New Member

That is very classy!

WA Paul likes this.
  20. Casi1

Casi1 New Member

I’m gonna go with my Fendr ‘strat’. I love that thing. I’ve finally accepted that I LOVE the sound of a good strat single coil (maple neck/board, lightweight alder body) and I love it above everything else. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have room in my lil heart for my PRS guitars.... I do but it’s a different kinda love for a different kind of mood.

It took me this long to find a Fendr neck and a Fendr body that fit me. Now that I found this beast, it has definitely completed my collection. My ‘strat’ plus a basic clean tube amp with a touch of reverb is like heaven to my ears while any of my PRS guitars are like heaven to my hands. It’s weird but it’s true.

:D

WA Paul and Alnus Rubra like this.