Anybody have favorite guitars that arent PRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as long as we are talking alternatives to PRS.....Take black limba for a neck and chambered body....Light weight and a great tonal combination. Unfortunately, Ron Thorn has just taken a different job, so I do not foresee more of these......
Stunning! The few times I’ve tried Korina/Limba I found it a bit harsh, but other factors could have been at work. That’s a wonderful Thorn, love the tubular quilt and the purfling.

So you think he won’t build a model like this at Fender? Probably would be at 2x the price if they were ok with the design.

I actually built the Rhoads myself hence the "Fullmoon" name, i actually built 3 - 2 black with white dots and 1 white with black dots. the picture is the first one the inlays are a bit naff (first try at doing them) the other 2 turned out nicer but didn't sound as nice. The 2nd black one I gave to my son and the white one was auctioned at our local pub for charity. All 3 played beautifully and sound great but number 1 just has the edge. it can nail all of Randy's tones when hooked up to my Marshall G-100R CD with 4x12 & 4x10 cabs stacked.

Here's my last build (built a couple of years ago for a friends 40th) inspired by the ESP Custom that michael wilton was given.

you should out my full collection (116 Guitars)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/76319442@N04/albums/72157632741036277/with/13694635574/

My attempt to show my S.O. that I didn't have THAT many guitars by showing her your collection, wasn't as successful as I had hoped :-D

You have some unique guitars there sir. The LesPauls are killer as is your McCarty, love that "antique" violin finish color. The backwards Strat is hysterical, how is that to play?

I think this is my favourite non-PRS : 1968 LP Goldtop. I have a nice R9 50th anniversary and a firebird that are great to play. Also have a few old Gretsch, Rickenbacker and National guitars that are more favourites to look at than to play;-)
i6GcvVT.jpg

My attempt to show my S.O. that I didn't have THAT many guitars by showing her your collection, wasn't as successful as I had hoped :-D

You have some unique guitars there sir. The LesPauls are killer as is your McCarty, love that "antique" violin finish color. The backwards Strat is hysterical, how is that to play?

It's actually a lot easier to play than it looks, sitting down the body curve works about the same as a SG or firebird and standing you don't notice it, either way you have about the fret access as a ES-150 or something that shape. If I use this for a gig I usually try to keep it covered till the last song of the set (nothing like watching a group of people who've drunk to much trying to work out what's wrong with the guitar)

You should show the S.O. this folder of how they are stored.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/76319442@N04/albums/72157651133901146

Last edited:
My top 3 guitars right now are my CE24, an Epi Sheraton, and a Sterling Valentine. My CE24 is definitely my number one Humbucker guitar, and if I could afford it, the Sheraton would likely be replaced by an HBII Piezo. Not gonna lie though, the Sterling Valentine is something else. For being a Korean made guitar, the fit and finish is probably just as good as my CE24. The neck pickup could be a little better (I'll likely replace it eventually), but the bridge pickup sounds just like a slightly hot tele bridge should. Not to mention, the roasted maple feels awesome.

Vanilla boring, but it's my 07 MiM Arctic white strat with rose board and Van Zandt Vintage blues in all three holes. It just plays the dream and since I had Van Zandts in my 95 strat, I replaced the ceramics. Not too shabby for pickups made in a barn in Exotic Combine, Texas...They sound a bit different in this guitar as opposed to the 95, enough to be interesting.

Stunning! The few times I’ve tried Korina/Limba I found it a bit harsh, but other factors could have been at work. That’s a wonderful Thorn, love the tubular quilt and the purfling.

So you think he won’t build a model like this at Fender? Probably would be at 2x the price if they were ok with the design.

Well, since we are in the same time zone, IF you get this far south, you are welcome to try one out......Maybe more than one by later in 2018....I am a big believer in the korina/limba package, with certain "other options" (like an ebony board). The right pickups make a difference too.

Good thing for me that PRS has not come out with a 594 variant with a chambered korina body, korina neck, ebony board, piezo, etc. I might be a goner. But then, lately, I would prefer a longer scale, so maybe that would make it a 5.550(?) rather than implied (4).594.......

It's actually a lot easier to play than it looks, sitting down the body curve works about the same as a SG or firebird and standing you don't notice it, either way you have about the fret access as a ES-150 or something that shape. If I use this for a gig I usually try to keep it covered till the last song of the set (nothing like watching a group of people who've drunk to much trying to work out what's wrong with the guitar)

You should show the S.O. this folder of how they are stored.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/76319442@N04/albums/72157651133901146

You sir have a very large amount of guitars lol. Hope you have a good security system.. I might go and snag that explorer haha. Im just messing with you, but whats the story on the Rebel America shape guitar?

You sir have a very large amount of guitars lol. Hope you have a good security system.. I might go and snag that explorer haha. Im just messing with you, but whats the story on the Rebel America shape guitar?

I always loved the Gibson map guitar and then later the Epiphone but have never found one for sale. Then a while ago my son said that I should just biuld one, so I said that he should build it so we found an old neck and I had some mahogany that was for a different project but was sacrificed for the cause and we built this together, as his first project it turned rather well (he wants to reshape the headstock like a tele though). we're looking making a thru neck version over the summer once his exams are over. sometimes gets used at gigs but only for southern rock, anything else just wouldn't be right

I have an American Deluxe Tele that I love. I actually was inspired to buy this after a PRS 305 opened my eyes to single coil
rlhbDt3.jpg

IjwiMTr.jpg

bq7KEtm.jpg
Man, that's a sweet tele. To me, Fenders play like nothing else plays. Not necessarily better or worse (although sometimes, either or both), but different. Before the Silver Sky, PRS necks just felt like somewhat better versions of various Gibson and Epi and Ibanez necks, but nothing felt like a Fender except folks who were copping Fender designs. Now the Silver Sky has built a PRS version of a Fender neck and I'm sure it's awesome. But to me, a great feeling Fender neck is something that might on rare occasion be equalled but never improved on. Some Fender necks I love and some I don't, but the ones I do just feel like an extension of me - my hand wraps around them more naturally than anything else I've ever played. Unlike a lot of Fender players, I don't feel much difference between a tele and a strat - I HEAR a pretty notable difference with that big bright tele bridge pup and the strat in-between positions and neck pickup. But they feel pretty much the same to me. I think I'll always have to own at least one Fender as long as I can play a guitar...

-Ray

I haven't taken the time to find a replacement for a new photo hosting service.. So I just posted the link to the builders site.

I met the Mike Delaney at a Blues festival in Daytona Beach Florida a few years ago.. So I saw this guitar and fell in Love with it.
I have the actual guitar that he uses on his website. I have couple of Godins but this one is the only one besides PRSi that get's any
Attention.

http://delaneyguitars.com/LaGrange.html

I always loved the Gibson map guitar and then later the Epiphone but have never found one for sale. Then a while ago my son said that I should just biuld one, so I said that he should build it so we found an old neck and I had some mahogany that was for a different project but was sacrificed for the cause and we built this together, as his first project it turned rather well (he wants to reshape the headstock like a tele though). we're looking making a thru neck version over the summer once his exams are over. sometimes gets used at gigs but only for southern rock, anything else just wouldn't be right
Im sure dimebag would get a kick out of it if he was still alive.

I’m gonna go with my Fendr ‘strat’. I love that thing. I’ve finally accepted that I LOVE the sound of a good strat single coil (maple neck/board, lightweight alder body) and I love it above everything else. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have room in my lil heart for my PRS guitars.... I do but it’s a different kinda love for a different kind of mood.

It took me this long to find a Fendr neck and a Fendr body that fit me. Now that I found this beast, it has definitely completed my collection. My ‘strat’ plus a basic clean tube amp with a touch of reverb is like heaven to my ears while any of my PRS guitars are like heaven to my hands. It’s weird but it’s true.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back