Anybody have favorite guitars that arent PRS?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by TRJC24PRS, May 10, 2018.

1. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

Killer Ibby! I had an early '80s Artist and Musician with the same Super '58 pickups. I sold them after I got into PRS 'cause they were too heavy. Super '58 pickups are very similar in tone to 57/08s. Great pickups!

2. jep1210

jep1210 New Member

Thank you sir. My RS is actually lighter than my SE. Those early 80s Artists were great looking instruments...never got a chance to play one.

3. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 New Member

Thank you, it definitely is a keeper to me. I actually replaced the pickups with Wolfetone Marshallheads which I've been very happy with. I bought it used in 2014 so I'm not sure if it's ever had a refret but I don't think so because then the nibs would be gone from my understanding.

The top on your Les Paul looks awesome too! I love the new contoured heel as well and I think that fixes one of my main complaints with Les Paul's in general.

Ironwolf likes this.
  4. merciful-evans

merciful-evans New Member

As stated elsewhere, favourites change all the time. For 6 weeks now it’s been the Ric 650. The penalty for that 24th fret to body join is a heavy (and diving) neck. You could play cricket with it all day and gig it the same evening. Its best feature is its tone. The mini HBs are very articulate and expressive.

The SE C24 is the most practical and best all rounder. I successfully auditioned for a jazz band with it. I have also used it for solos on several recordings.

The ES-339 is the least versatile and least practical. For some crazy reason I cant understand, its the most satisfying to play.

Note: the acoustics & nylons are not working guitars and completely different animals. The Fylde is my oldest guitar and the most valuable. I bought it from Roger Bucknall (the maker) in early 70s.

[​IMG]

Elliot, grausch and RaySachs like this.
  5. jep1210

jep1210 New Member

Sweet collection, love that Squire.

merciful-evans likes this.
  6. markie

markie 11Top's personal Chauffeur

Not really!

veinbuster and sergiodeblanc like this.
  7. Jimi D

Jimi D New Member

See my sig... besides a passel of PRSs, I have these:

[​IMG]

8. Elliot

Elliot Still a New Member

I like Les Pauls a lot. I tried to fill the void with PRS but it didn't exactly work.

I developed a real love for PRS and my Ted but I still craved, nay, yearned for an LP.

Luckily, I found absolutely exactly what I wanted in an LP nearby on craigslist. Talked the seller down 400 bucks. She is mine now. Just FYI, in terms of playability and comfort, my Ted blows the LP out of the water. It made me appreciate my PRS even more.

[​IMG]

Also this thread could use more PRSi.

[​IMG]

#68 Elliot, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    dogrocketp, WA Paul, Ironwolf and 6 others like this.
  9. Fullmoon 1971

Fullmoon 1971 New Member

I love my PRSi - a 2006 CE-24 Mahogany & 2015 Mccarty. however these are a few of my other go to guitars (in no particular order).

2013 Epiphone Ltd Ed 50th Anniversary 1962 Sheraton
    [​IMG]

1990 Yamaha Image Standard
    [​IMG]

2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    [​IMG]

2016 Epiphone Joe Bonamassa “Treasure” Firebird 1
    [​IMG]

2009 Gretsch G5120 Jimmy C pinstripe (Modded with Chet Atkins arm and TV Jones Super'Tron Pickups)
    [​IMG]

2008 Gibson Explorer
    [​IMG]

2001 Maverick SF-3
    [​IMG]

2008 Fullmoon Randy Rhoads Polka Dot V
    [​IMG]

1982 Gibson Spirit
    [​IMG]

1990 Washburn HB-50
    [​IMG]

10. Eddie kim

Eddie kim New Member

Randy Rhoads polka dot Flying V is sooooo cool.

grausch likes this.
  11. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Archon owning member

This is a good point. I took it to mean favorite non-PRS guitars. No question, my PRS guitars are my favorite.

12. fender1punk

fender1punk Certified Guitar Hoarder

50th anniversary American Standard Strat, Baja Tele, and my SG Standard that somehow ended up being almost bulletproof in construction. Seriously no neck dive, it’s been dropped, banged around, and thrashed, and still looks new. And I got it for the same price (new) as a new Epiphone one. Gotta love blowouts.

RaySachs likes this.
  13. Moose6

Moose6 New Member

Like fender1punk above, I too have a 50th anniversary strat. It's sunburst with rosewood finger board. I replaced the pickups with EMGs and presence control. I can dial in strat to humbucker sounds, and anything in between. It is perfect for any style of music. I love it.

RaySachs likes this.
  14. JimmyDee

JimmyDee New Member

Since I bought my PRS guitars... my other two (Ibanez Prestige and Jackson Soloist) have both sat in their cases, untouched.
    Just this past week, I brought them down to the music store and traded them both in, on a pair of Line 6 Stagesource L3T speakers.

dogrocketp and veinbuster like this.
  15. horax

horax New Member

I have a lot of guitars.
    Apart from my new s2, I love my 66 sg jr and two teles. One is a USA with bigsby, the other is the brad paisley model theybreleased last year.

16. merciful-evans

merciful-evans New Member

I like your taste in guitars. These in particular.
    I have a liking for Sheratons too.

Fullmoon 1971 likes this.
  17. RiverRat

RiverRat Enjoying the Arizona Desert

1997 Taylor 914c

18. Guitpicky

Guitpicky New Member

I was going to say I "only" have four guitars in capitulation to the Joneses I can never keep up with, but to be honest I feel lucky to own any one of them. I don't have a single favorite tho, they're all my favorite for different reasons. The first and last ones pictured were perfect gas killers for me. I feel both are about as nice as you can get without throwing money at over extravagant bling. Wanting more or better guitars at this point seems like a lack of appreciation for the blessings already bestowed upon me by the God of Stuff :)

PRS McCarty 594 Wood Library
    [​IMG]

2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T Limited Edition Mahogany Top
    [​IMG]

Takamine TSF40C "Santa Fe"
    [​IMG]

Takamine EF75M-TT
    [​IMG]

19. TRJC24PRS

TRJC24PRS Kiesel sucks

Duude! How does the Rhoads sound? Ive been looking at many for years now

20. RaySachs

RaySachs New Member

Man I LOVE the Baja tele. I'm more of a strat guy and I've never been able to find uses for BOTH a strat and a tele. When I've had just a tele, I've loved them, but when I've had a strat AND a tele, I never end up reaching for the tele. So I don't own a tele and probably won't (unless it's some kind of non-tele tele with P90s or humbuckers or something). But I had a Baja for a while and that may be my favorite guitar neck ever. I saw one in a shop within the past few weeks and picked it up and played it unplugged for a little while. And, my god, that neck just felt soooo sublime. I love the neck on my Cray strat, but there's a side of me that would love to do a little surgery and stick a Baja tele neck on that strat. Probably never happen, but that could be a marriage made in heaven...

-Ray