Any Tips? About to take the Nut off the SE.

MichaelS

I'm here for the free kool-aid...
I've done many mods myself and also built 5 guitars (from scratch, not kits. We're talking raw lumber...) anyways, I digress.

This is the first time I am replacing a nut.
US PRS nut is going on the SE.
Anything to watch out for in a Custom 22 SE?
I figure, score the edge to separate the finish. Then pop it off with a wood block parallel direction of the neck towards the headstock.

Any other tips, tricks, things to watch out for?

I figure TRC comes off or could it provide leverage when popping?

Should be fairly easy. Your third sentence is exactly the way to do it, just be careful not to scratch anything. Let us know how it goes, but I'd bet it comes off with very little effort.

Take the TRC cover off. Banging the nut against it puts stress on the screw enlarging the hole and risking a crack...

Take the TRC cover off. Banging the nut against it puts stress on the screw enlarging the hole and risking a crack...
I figured too. Was throwing out a wild idea to fish for other out of the box things.

Should be fairly easy. Your third sentence is exactly the way to do it, just be careful not to scratch anything. Let us know how it goes, but I'd bet it comes off with very little effort.
Parts just shipped today. it'll be next week by the time they're across the country and installed, but I'll post something.

And Glue?
- Super Glue?
- Epoxy?
- Wood Glue?

Superglue is generally used for nuts.

On a previous woodworking project, the wood glue was actually stronger than Northwest alder. Thought I would be able to break a joint apart, but needed to stop as the wood started breaking rather than the glue.

So if you plan on never replacing the nut, wood glue might work, but I prefer using superglue.

My guy literally popped off the nut of my McCarty an hour ago. He removed the truss cover and struck it once lightly with a rubber hammer and it came off effortlessly, a 14yr old nut at that. It shouldn't be that difficult to remove it gently. Now watching this happen made my heart skip a beat but it was easy.

Back