any mastodon fans? ( + incidental Ghost discussion because this is the internet)

Kabukiman

Entry level PRS owner
Well I think both of them have used PRS axes at some stage? So it counts? ;)
brent-hinds-3.jpg

Mastodon are one of those bands that I credit with really getting me into heavier music. I've been following them for so many years and I was really excited to hear the new record for the first time today. I was always a fan on the songwriting and the intricate guitar parts, especially on records like Crack The Skye.

Anyone had a listen yet?

I feel the vocals on this one are over-produced and very poppy compared to all the other records, but the guitar parts on every song are delicious. Or really, really disgusting, but in a good way. Huge riffs. Some strange dissonant stuff. Some real grooves too. The track with Scott Kelly from neurosis is great.

I have this coming later today. Have not heard anything from it yet.

I first heard them in 2009 on the tour with Dethklok, when they did the whole Crack The Skye album. Great presentation and performance, and I've grabbed everything since. They're one of those bands that never seem to get into heavy rotation for me, but every time I listen to them, I wonder why. I'm looking forward to hearing this, and I may get to see them again on tour - I saw them with Opeth and Ghost as well.

damn you. I started listening to ghost a week after they toured here (2013 I think) and they haven't been back since. :(

I have been lucky enough to see mastodon a handful of times with Baroness supporting, which is great because they are a fantastic match and both top notch acts.

This new album has a baroness vibe to it actually. Although it does descend into some great proggy depths if you are patient.

I've seen Ghost every time they were here except one - I hesitated because the venue isn't the most convenient and it sold out. The first time, I'd heard of them but had never seen a picture or heard a note of music. When they walked out, I was pretty much hooked. I looked them up on Wikipedia during the set, and it said something like "a satanic band from Europe". I looked at the band, then the phone, then the band, then the phone, and said, "Someone takes this seriously?" But they had me from the get-go. I'd love to see them on this tour w/Iron Maiden, but I don't think it's going to happen.

I've got your back, Alan. I'll fill you in!

I haven't given up yet, but what looked to be my best chance may not work out. It's a four-hour drive, plus I have to be back to referee soccer the next day, and I have Olivia Newton-John that night.

I haven't given up yet, but what looked to be my best chance may not work out. It's a four-hour drive, plus I have to be back to referee soccer the next day, and I have Olivia Newton-John that night.

Thursday, June 15th, in Chicago (far south burbs, actually). It's just under 7 hours!

I've seen Ghost every time they were here except one - I hesitated because the venue isn't the most convenient and it sold out. The first time, I'd heard of them but had never seen a picture or heard a note of music. When they walked out, I was pretty much hooked. I looked them up on Wikipedia during the set, and it said something like "a satanic band from Europe". I looked at the band, then the phone, then the band, then the phone, and said, "Someone takes this seriously?" But they had me from the get-go. I'd love to see them on this tour w/Iron Maiden, but I don't think it's going to happen.
I think as long as you go into it knowing it's a tongue in cheek throwback the rest just falls into place. Some very tasty music on every album. Real old school heavy metal vibes (all these people seem to hate on them for not being "heavy" but they don't realise metal wasn't always chugga chugga breakdown scream)

Im waiting for them to come back to australia but i read the whole band has changed members last month.... not sure what to think because the musicians were ace

I did not know they have a new one, but I bought the one that came out a year or so back, and I like it.
That record was a cracker. Asleep in the deep and halloween were killer songs. And same deal with the token scott kelly track at the end.

I think as long as you go into it knowing it's a tongue in cheek throwback the rest just falls into place. Some very tasty music on every album. Real old school heavy metal vibes (all these people seem to hate on them for not being "heavy" but they don't realise metal wasn't always chugga chugga breakdown scream)

Im waiting for them to come back to australia but i read the whole band has changed members last month.... not sure what to think because the musicians were ace

I've stayed away from reading too much about them because I kind of dig the anonymity. My favorite story, I think, they asked one of the guitarists if the costumes ever made things confusing. He said one time, backstage, when they were in costume, he picked up the other guy's guitar and it took them 15 minutes to figure out who was who.

Real old school heavy metal vibes (all these people seem to hate on them for not being "heavy" but they don't realise metal wasn't always chugga chugga breakdown scream)

Totally agree with this! First time Iheard them I immediately thought Blue Oyster Cult.

I've stayed away from reading too much about them because I kind of dig the anonymity. My favorite story, I think, they asked one of the guitarists if the costumes ever made things confusing. He said one time, backstage, when they were in costume, he picked up the other guy's guitar and it took them 15 minutes to figure out who was who.
me too. I avoid the articles about the identites etc because I like to play along, I think it makes the music more enjoyable if you indulge their characters

Although recently I saw on youtube the musicians were all different with different gear I was like huh. Internetz speculation is papa is the only remaining original member. Not sure how to feel because I have yet to see them live, and all the quality youtube footage leads me to believe the two previous guitarist were really great and the drummer was really tight, keys too.

This has turned into a ghost thread

I will change the title

I've never got into Ghost, I got their first album and wasn't really sold on it. Maybe should give some of their newer stuff a go.

Mastodon on the other hand I am a huge fan! I got into them just before they release Leviathan. I've seen them live quite a few times, including some seriously small venues when there was only a small railing between the band and us, the bassist even punched my mate in the face by accident.

However I'm not feeling the new album that much, The first 2 tracks are class and there are some really decent riffs on it but its just not clicking with me. maybe I need to give it a few more listens to really get into it.

I've never got into Ghost, I got their first album and wasn't really sold on it. Maybe should give some of their newer stuff a go.

Mastodon on the other hand I am a huge fan! I got into them just before they release Leviathan. I've seen them live quite a few times, including some seriously small venues when there was only a small railing between the band and us, the bassist even punched my mate in the face by accident.

However I'm not feeling the new album that much, The first 2 tracks are class and there are some really decent riffs on it but its just not clicking with me. maybe I need to give it a few more listens to really get into it.

haha I loved the first album! It's my favourite of the lot

You are very lucky. I have seen them nearly every time they have come here (beocme a bit of a tradition for me and the lady to go see them when they tour), but always at medium/larger venues, and sadly with shitty crowds.

TBH I wasn't digging the album either, but after a good three to five listens through start to finish I am picking up on a lot of stuff I glossed over the first times. At times it sounds really simple, but there is a lot going on and it needs time, just like CTS did when it came out for me.

It gets really proggy, I love it. If I took part in writing an album like this I'd be pretty proud of it

I apologize - I found out about this on Monday about 6 PM and never got around to posting.

Mastodon was on Kimmel, performing "Show Yourself". There are fan videos of another song or two, but this is the only one posted by Kimmel's people.

yeah man

the amateur video of mother puncher sounds fucking great. If they're playing a mix of new and really old I'd love to see them on tour again. I always liked it when they'd feature songs off a new album but there would be a couple in there from remission.

Back