Any HVAC folks here?

A necessary building block of life in most of the USA.

I hate it though. It’s alright when it gets unbearably swampy but I think we use it too much.

My elderly neighbors turn that sh!t on in spring as soon as it hits 60 degrees. If I don’t hear it running I go over there to check on them and make sure they’re not dead.

Ugh. Yeah. We just had ours cleaned and juiced up. Ours was still cooling fine but would begin to freeze up after extended use. My guy said we are running on bonus time as it's close to 20 years old. They're also trying to phase out the type of freon in the older units and it's a lot more expensive than the stuff they use now. Everything in homes is pretty much built to last 10-15 years. I figure when I do replace our AC, by the time I need to add freon to the new unit, they'll be phasing out that type and it will be stupid expensive. It's the money making cycle.

My Private Stock:

vbtu6eh.jpg

NwxKvD0.jpg

I figure that considering what we spent, I should be able to brag about this f@cking thing someplace.

I am having to do the same this week. A shot of refrigerant and it will run nice for a few days then it slowly drops off. The unit is 17 years old and so it is time. I am looking at about 5k to replace the AC and Furnace.

Also my dog broke his leg ( 2 year old Italian Greyhound ) and needed 2 surgeries.

42955342122_d12931c1d1_z.jpg

That was another 7k.....needless to say I didn't make it to EXP'18 because I am broke and it would have been torture!

Good luck!

I am having to do the same this week. A shot of refrigerant and it will run nice for a few days then it slowly drops off. The unit is 17 years old and so it is time. I am looking at about 5k to replace the AC and Furnace.

Also my dog broke his leg ( 2 year old Italian Greyhound ) and needed 2 surgeries.

That was another 7k.....needless to say I didn't make it to EXP'18 because I am broke and it would have been torture!

Good luck!

Damn, that sucks. I hope your dog is feeling better soon!

Good luck!
Poor puppy, hope he’s better now.

LOL. Nice top on that condenser. Mine is pretty similar. My thermostat can change colors to suit my mood or decor. I'll have to go in the crawl space to grab a pic of my kickass 5" media filter.

Whoa! Changes color?!? I wonder if mine does that. The installation dude was a little too excited when he was setting up our wifi for our thermostat, just like our garage door guy... seriously, when the hell am I ever gonna use that sh!t?

But yeah, I figure if we all post some pics of our AC units Shawn might feel better when he buys one.

I hate it though. It’s alright when it gets unbearably swampy but I think we use it too much.

My elderly neighbors turn that sh!t on in spring as soon as it hits 60 degrees. If I don’t hear it running I go over there to check on them and make sure they’re not dead.

We've become like your neighbors. Although, the wife has allergies, bad. So, when the mold count goes up, the windows get closed.

Whoa! Changes color?!? I wonder if mine does that. The installation dude was a little too excited when he was setting up our wifi for our thermostat, just like our garage door guy... seriously, when the hell am I ever gonna use that sh!t?

But yeah, I figure if we all post some pics of our AC units Shawn might feel better when he buys one.

Thermostat pr0n:

LhwEX6b.jpg

I'd share a pic of the ginormous new condenser, but it's storming outside.

I use the AC 12 months out of the year here in Tx. The last time my AC went out, we spent the night at a hotel.

I can hardly wait until October when we start comparing firewood piles.

Having no cooling when it is humid outside is miserable, and I hope you get it fixed soon.

Living in a burnt adobe brick house in southern AZ teaches you that heat pump maintenance is cheap insurance.

I was watching a video today where a guy in England was complaining it was so hot: 78 deg, maybe 80 deg F. And all he had was a fan, he was so warm, etc. I was all confuzzled. :confused:

We keep our AC at 79 deg upstairs, and begrudgingly at 77 deg downstairs because a bandmate (who, as he puts it, shops at "Mr Freaky Big"), finds it too warm otherwise, and he is over fairly often. Although the electrostatic wine coolers work more efficiently at that room temp.

We'd keep the house at 80/78 otherwise.

Anyway, back to @Shawn@PRS and his AC: yeah, might be "just" a coil replacement vs the whole unit to get it working again, but you might want to look into what a whole new unit costs, and what your current AC costs might be. Though frankly, since you live in MD, compared to my FL heat I think I'd just have the windows open most of the non-winter seasons, which is what I did when I lived in Canada (southern-ish Ontario): AC was on for maybe two months, July and August.

Back