Any HVAC folks here?

Shawn@PRS

yogi
One of my Air Conditioner condenser units called it quits and I need to replace it. Is there any way to do this economically, or should I just suck it up and start writing the check?

This is an AC unit only, not a heater. Any guidance is appreciated.

Without physically laying hands on the unit, its hard to diagnose. Could be as simple as a loose wire, or as complicated as a cooked compressor. You can try looking on eBay for a matching or similar sized unit to replace the existing one, but, I'm thinking you may still need the local HVAC tech to do the install.

The unit is from 2005, so its at the end of its life. It will run all day long, but it won't cool. I had a shot of coolant put in it recently but that only worked for a short while. I think it needs to be replaced.

When my central air went, it did the same thing. Wasn't the condenser, it was the evaporator coil. It was 20 years old, so I did the evaporater coil and condenser. IIRC, I got a quote for $600 parts, plus labor, for the evap coil only. That was 4 years ago.

Sounds like a leak if it works for a while with a shot of Freon. The coils can get porous over time,especially if they are cleaned with a harsh acid based cleaner. Being end of life I would bit the bullet and change the system out, both condenser and evaporator/blower. Done right with no recurring headaches, or chasing an issue.

You’re asking us? Why, do you want to sue your HVAC guy or did you knock his teeth out already? :rolleyes:

Genuine gut laugh with tears bro! Thanks, I so needed that!

Sorry about the AC Shawn, that blows...well, it did...just not anymore..I always grabbed my handy toolbox when this sort of thing happened in the past...some people call it a wallet, I call it a toolbox..mmm hmm...

The unit is from 2005, so its at the end of its life. It will run all day long, but it won't cool. I had a shot of coolant put in it recently but that only worked for a short while. I think it needs to be replaced.

Yup...probably what Wedge said...Coils old and leaking.
Also, for those interested...If your refrigerator has its coils underneath (like most do), consider cleaning them a couple times a year...this will help your fridge run better, longer, and colder.
I usually dampen some paper towels and run them gently through the coils, hooked in a shish-kabob skewer. First swipe and I get a hairball the size of our dog...ok, or a Swamp...LOL

I just put in a combination heat pump/gas furnace. My favorite part of the experience was being told that while efficiency is much better, materials were much cheaper. I was told to expect to repeat the ordeal in about 12 years, even with top of the line. :eek::(

I just put in a combination heat pump/gas furnace. My favorite part of the experience was being told that while efficiency is much better, materials were much cheaper. I was told to expect to repeat the ordeal in about 12 years, even with top of the line. :eek::(

Our house is almost years old. My wife said, "Why does all of the new stuff breaks down, but the 100 year old stuff is still solid as a rock?" :(

I wish you the best Shawn. I just replaced the AC and furnace for my main level, and I could've bought a nice private stock for what it cost. It was 16 years old, had been repaired a couple times and barely limped through last winter, so it was time. They get like old cars where you have to decide if you want to keep throwing money at the old thing or spend the bucks on a new, trouble-free one.

My 26 year old furnace quit while we were on vacation this winter. It was -16 outside when we got home and pretty chill in the house. It was 3-4 days to get a new one. I was surprised how expensive the replacement one was.

When my a/c had issues, it turned out to be a motor run capacitor. This only cost less than $100. You might just call a pro to inspect the unite. They might charge you $60 to $70 to give you a complete estimate.

When my a/c had issues, it turned out to be a motor run capacitor. This only cost less than $100. You might just call a pro to inspect the unite. They might charge you $60 to $70 to give you a complete estimate.
I had the EXACT same thing happen this year. Just a capacitor only mine was more like $180 as I remember.

My 26 year old furnace quit while we were on vacation this winter. It was -16 outside when we got home and pretty chill in the house. It was 3-4 days to get a new one. I was surprised how expensive the replacement one was.

...glad you didn't come home to busted pipes!

Back