Another Eternal Question. Amp or Guitar?

So...back to the topic, maybe...

We all have pedals we like with specific amps, and maybe, not so much with other amps. What are your choices? I have mine, and will get into them later.

I’m kinda tryin’ to step away from pedals, especially dirt pedals.

I do have a Zoom MS50G in the loop of my MkIV for delay though. I tried the H9 but, the loop hates that pedal for some reason. :(

I’m kinda tryin’ to step away from pedals, especially dirt pedals.

I do have a Zoom MS50G in the loop of my MkIV for delay though. I tried the H9 but, the loop hates that pedal for some reason. :(

You know how I feel about loops. They're the most f#%ked up things ever created when it comes to guitar amplification. I'd rather record dry and add delay at the console or DAW than use a loop, if I feel the need for a clean delay.

However, assuming everything's well-grounded, the H9 works well in a loop if you set the H9's input and output levels properly. Saying that for a friend who has a couple of Mesas and likes to occasionally experiment... ;)

What a great thread……
You guys are amazing.
So earlier in the thread it seems evident that not only the amp, but the speakers themselves are a huge deal. Since I’m a noob…. And eventually will be getting an amp/ cab setup….. can I get some advice?
I’m thinking PRS Archon 50 over 2X12 prs cab….. but should I consider using other speakers?

“tone is in the ear of the beholder”

“Why would you care much if you play at home”

You know how I feel about loops. They're the most f#%ked up things ever created when it comes to guitar amplification. I'd rather record dry and add delay at the console or DAW than use a loop, if I feel the need for a clean delay.

However, assuming everything's well-grounded, the H9 works well in a loop if you set the H9's input and output levels properly. Saying that for a friend who has a couple of Mesas and likes to occasionally experiment... ;)

Ehhh… I feel ya, the loop was one of the reasons I ditched my Mark V. For some reason the Mark IV’s loop works great. I dunno, I’m not questioning it, just going with it. :p

I’m thinking PRS Archon 50 over 2X12 prs cab….. but should I consider using other speakers?

My humble opinion. If you find the speakers that you really like, every amp you try will be closer to what you want. So say for example, you know you want a classic Marshall crunch and lead tone that you heard back in the 70s or 80s. If you find the speakers that are the closest to the tones you prefer, every M style amp you try is better. If you have the best M style amp for exactly what you want, but the wrong speakers, you may not even like the amp.... when it's not really the amp that's the issue.

Speakers are all different and all over the place. I've come to accept that I don't like greenbacks unless there are 4 of them. In 1x and even 2x, they can be fizzy and lack bottom. Put them in a 4x and get more bottom and all those killer mids. I've also come to know that I don't like all V30s in a cab. A V30 mixed with something else though, can be great. Too spikey for me with all V30s though. And, I know that the other manufacturers V30s types are more tolerable for me because they all tame the spike some. Head to head, I like my Governor and the Warehouse better than actual Celestions, when it's all V30 types in a cab.

I've also discovered that I like "high powered greenback types" better than greenbacks. My Warehouse ET65 sounds great. The Creamback 65 I heard did as well. Less fizz, more and tighter bottom, same great mids.

So find your amp type (Archon is a great one) but don't be afraid to try various speakers til you find what you love. THEN you'll really be happy with your tone. I know many people who feel the speakers/cab is more important than the amp. Meaning, if you find the perfect speakers/cab, many amps that are like your type will be great, where with the perfect amp and wrong cab it won't. Back when I had 8 heads and 8 cabs, switching speakers/cabs around while playing one amp showed just how true that can be. I can take my favorite cab/speaker and it sounds different for sure, but very good with every amp I throw at it. Back when I had 2xV30s in two different cabs, they were NEVER my favorite cabs with any amp I tried. Now that I've swapped one V30 out of each cab for something else, they are much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great thread……
You guys are amazing.
So earlier in the thread it seems evident that not only the amp, but the speakers themselves are a huge deal. Since I’m a noob…. And eventually will be getting an amp/ cab setup….. can I get some advice?

“tone is in the ear of the beholder”

“Why would you care much if you play at home”

Breaking it down, the speakers in the cabinet, and the cabinet design and materials, have two separate roles, and each affects the tone quite a bit.

The only way to know what will give you the sound you want is to play through each cabinet with your amp. I realize this seems like a total PITA, but it's the only advice that actually will guarantee you'll get a sound you like.

For example, when I got my Mesa Fillmore amp head, I got the head first, installed the NOS tubes I wanted, and then played through a bunch of cabinets. Instead of the Fillmore cabinet and speakers, I ordered a California Tweed cabinet and speakers from Mesa, because that's the sound I prefer.

I use PRS cabs with the original speakers for my HXDA and DG30 amps. I think they were well-chosen/spec'd, and they sound 'right' to me.

I'm not 100% into the speakers that came with my Mesa Lone Star combo, but I haven't changed them out yet out of sheer laziness. Hey, it's only been 6 years!! :p

And heck yeah you'd care if you play at home -- if you're into the tone and it matters to you.

I should add...

If you can't find stuff to play through locally, before taking anyone's advice on what speakers/cab/amp to buy - even if they're a great player - listen to them play through their rig, or to their recordings. The great caveat here is that even with the very same rig, we all sound different.

Even the best players have playing styles, tastes, favorite sounds, etc., that may or may not be what you want to hear with your own rig, and as per the above paragraph, you can still sound different.

Last edited:
Breaking it down, the speakers in the cabinet, and the cabinet design and materials, have two separate roles, and each affects the tone quite a bit.

The only way to know what will give you the sound you want is to play through each cabinet with your amp. I realize this seems like a total PITA, but it's the only advice that actually will guarantee you'll get a sound you like.

For example, when I got my Mesa Fillmore amp head, I got the head first, installed the NOS tubes I wanted, and then played through a bunch of cabinets. Instead of the Fillmore cabinet and speakers, I ordered a California Tweed cabinet and speakers from Mesa, because that's the sound I prefer.

I use PRS cabs with the original speakers for my HXDA and DG30 amps. I think they were well-chosen/spec'd, and they sound 'right' to me.

I'm not 100% into the speakers that came with my Mesa Lone Star combo, but I haven't changed them out yet out of sheer laziness. Hey, it's only been 6 years!! :p

And heck yeah you'd care if you play at home -- if you're into the tone and it matters to you.

I should add...

If you can't find stuff to play through locally, before taking anyone's advice on what speakers/cab/amp to buy - even if they're a great player - listen to them play through their rig, or to their recordings. The great caveat here is that even with the very same rig, we all sound different.

Even the best players have playing styles, tastes, favorite sounds, etc., that may or may not be what you want to hear with your own rig, and as per the above paragraph, you can still sound different.
PiTA is correct man.
Having to lug your amp to the guitar store would be much else but….

however, all other points taken!
Again, very much appreciated!
Cheers.

PiTA is correct man.
Having to lug your amp to the guitar store would be much else but….

however, all other points taken!
Again, very much appreciated!
Cheers.

I know, lugging the amp is really a pain. I've done it.

At this point, I have enough cabs to generally be able to get the tone I want, no matter the amp, but...

If I'm going to spend close to a grand on a cab and a pair of speakers (I like 2 x 12s), I want to know how it's going to sound before I write the check. So I think it's a worthwhile endeavor. Often I'll use a friend's studio to check out a sound, not a store. I have a lot of friends with great studios. That makes it a little more palatable, and it's a nice way to hang out with them.

Harder to do in Covid times, for sure.

I know, lugging the amp is really a pain. I've done it.

At this point, I have enough cabs to generally be able to get the tone I want, no matter the amp, but...

If I'm going to spend close to a grand on a cab and a pair of speakers (I like 2 x 12s), I want to know how it's going to sound before I write the check. So I think it's a worthwhile endeavor. Often I'll use a friend's studio to check out a sound, not a store. I have a lot of friends with great studios. That makes it a little more palatable, and it's a nice way to hang out with them.

Harder to do in Covid times, for sure.
Note to self:

[_] acquire friends with

Back