Another Conversation With My Acoustic

László

Too Many Notes
I knew I was in for it. I'd bought Tony McManus' new album Mysterious Boundaries, classical stuff played on his PRS acoustic, and had been listening to it for several days. I took a breath and opened my guitar case. The Blonde guitar immediately started giving me a hard time.

"You haven't played me in days. Don't you love me any more?"

"Yes, of course I still love you. I've just been busy." I didn't want to tell her that listening to McManus play made me want to crawl into a cave and never play guitar again.

"He's so much better than you are, you know," referring to McManus. I played dumb.

"Who is?"

"You know exactly who I'm talking about. Well I'm going to tell you something, Mr. L. My top was supposed to go to McManus, and instead you wound up with it. You'd better start practicing me again if you know what's good for you."

"I'll bet I'm better than he is on piano," I replied.

"Wouldn't count on it," she said.

"Would you rather be his than mine?" I asked, rather dolefully.

"Ever hear of the Fifth Amendment?"

I nodded.

"I'm taking it. But life being what it is, I came to your studio instead of his. So get busy! Find me some Bach!"

And with that, I went and dug up my old Well Tempered Clavier sheet music. She's going to be really sorry that she made that demand...

Last edited:
I wish I could click on a "like" button somewhere. I enjoyed reading your story. We should all be inspired to be the best we can be and more importantly enjoy. In other words, "Be Yourself-
Everyone Else is Taken"
-Oscar Wilde :laugh:

You are so right re: the inspiration and trying to do our best!

Love the quote, too.

I feel the same way often. Lately it's Martin Simpson. Most of the metal stuff that motivates me I can play. Acoustic anything is another story.

Damn temperamental women… never satisfied with what they have. Always needing more attention than anyone could humanly supply in a lifetime. Just when you think you might have done something right… nope! Broken string! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Time to start all over again.

It really is a sad state of affairs. Even worse if you have no strings...

My flamenco guitar laughs at me when I play along to Friday Night in San Francisco... it tells me to return my frilly shirt, but I refuse.

If I saw this video when I was 14-18 or so, I would have sold my guitar and never played again. Now, it inspires me to be the best me that I can. I always liked this song too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk

Yow!

Note to self: Do not watch this within earshot of my guitar...

Hey I can play like that, as long as it's only one note played slowly for the entire time.

Les, I didn't post that to discourage you. I posted it to inspire you. I'm debating about seeing Tommy live in January. Why am I debating? It's in the seedy part of town, not sure if I want to chance going there.

Les, I didn't post that to discourage you. I posted it to inspire you.

Oh I know, I was kidding around.

But really, I can play it that fast on piano or accordion... ;)

I just posted another non-guitar composition in the Studio etc. section. I've decided to share my work until people shout me down!

Last edited:
Oh I know, I was kidding around.

But really, I can play it that fast on piano or accordion... ;)

I just posted another non-guitar composition in the Studio etc. section. I've decided to share my work until people shout me down!
I knew that.:wink:

If I saw this video when I was 14-18 or so, I would have sold my guitar and never played again. Now, it inspires me to be the best me that I can. I always liked this song too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk

I used to play that when I was much younger (not nearly as well, though).

If you can see Tommy live, do it. It is truly an experience. The guy has the showmanship gene in spades, but more than enough talent to back it up.

I'd love to pull off his version of "Somehwere Over The Rainbow". And I love the humor he puts into "Guitar Boogie".

But his Beatles medley astounds me - "Daytripper" seriously sounds like two guitarists in a way that I'll never pull off.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was great, Alan. Thanks for sharing. I am going to see how many I can get to join me to see his show. I'll have to put in for the night off from work. I know it will be worth it.

I have some Bach duets for guitar that I tried recently. A few more passes and I might consider trying to record one of the parts to play with. I have a feeling McManus might just play them both at the same time.

I have some Bach duets for guitar that I tried recently. A few more passes and I might consider trying to record one of the parts to play with. I have a feeling McManus might just play them both at the same time.

Ha! He can probably play quartets at the same time!

"I see you've been inspired," my guitar said. "You've been playing me a lot, and even using a metronome. Very good!"

"Timing is everything, hence the metronome," I replied. "I'm very, very far from where I need to be, though. I've been listening to some of my old recordings, and my hands don't have as much facility now as they used to. Being old sucks."

" Hey, most of me is a tree. And I got mature after hundreds of years standing in the forest, and these weird guys cut me down. So quit complaining."

"Yes, but you're beautiful now," I said.

"Not as beautiful as I was in the forest," she quickly answered. "Now get to work on some new music."

You're not getting older, you're getting better.

Oh, if only! I dug out an old recording I made in the 90s, nice composition, with a solo I did on my old Artist II. I was stunned. I haven't done anything that good on guitar in a long time!

I had a stronger sense of harmony/melody and worried far less about technique. I just played. The result was better.

Back