American Idol

Peet

I just cut my grass for the first time this year and had a couple (4) wheat beers, and I'm posting under the influence or I'd never admit this. I enjoy watching American Idol :) I just watched (speed watched) a few hours of AI and was curious if any other adults watch or will admit they watch this program. Some of these kids are phenomenal. The last show I watched had a 13 or 14 year old girl that I wanted to hear belt out some Janis Joplin. If I could sing half as good as these kids,= I'd be happy to sit in my living room and crank out music for the few years I have left :)

My wife enjoys watching this show...I personally don't care for it just from (in my opinion) the over-saturation of singing competitions and talent shows. I will say, I did notice a couple seasons ago there was A LOT of PRS content on that show. If I remember correctly, the backing band had a couple in them and a couple contestants even played them on stage. For that reason alone, I would watch those performances.

I'll usually tune in for the beginning rounds of this, and the Voice, if I'm not into something else. I like hearing talented people. I enjoy it now more than when they always showed the goof balls.

I occasionally go on binges of watching The Voice and/or .......'s Got Talent.

American Idol I don't think I've seen since season 1 or 2.

I have watched AI a few times and noticed prs on stage too. I don't watch a lot of TV, mostly when I go to bed. Set sleep timer and BOOM zzźzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Because I’ve seen the contract they use with artists who agree to go on that show, I’ll simply say that it’s not artist-friendly. The producers tie the performers’ hands.

I’m sure it’s a good vehicle for the fame part, but not necessarily for the deal part.

I like the Voice and AGT, but American Idol is #2 on my list of TV Reboots that were completely unnecessary.

I do speed watch and skip the banter. I'm not actually watching American Idol, I just appreciate the talent.

Kelly Clarkson will always be THE American Idol. My interest in the show waned after the first couple of seasons, although I did watch a little when they had Harry Connick, Jr. and Nikki Minaj as judges for the amusement factor.

Because I’ve seen the contract they use with artists who agree to go on that show, I’ll simply say that it’s not artist-friendly. The producers tie the performers’ hands.

I’m sure it’s a good vehicle for the fame part, but not necessarily for the deal part.

Kelly Clarkson won Idol in 2002. She released her seventh and final album on the deal in 2015. When she was on Jimmy Fallon supporting her eighth record in 2017 (with a new label and a new deal), she mentioned that this was the first time she had control.

I don’t do Idol, but I’ll admit to having binge watched the Queer Eye reboot. The first episode is a tear jerker.

Kelly Clarkson will always be THE American Idol. My interest in the show waned after the first couple of seasons, although I did watch a little when they had Harry Connick, Jr. and Nikki Minaj as judges for the amusement factor.

Kelly Clarkson won Idol in 2002. She released her seventh and final album on the deal in 2015. When she was on Jimmy Fallon supporting her eighth record in 2017 (with a new label and a new deal), she mentioned that this was the first time she had control.
Holy crap!! 7 records from the American Idol deal?? I'd almost rather be runner-up. Many of the accolades, but presumably without the strings attached??

Kevin

I’m aware of a similar scenario with shows in the UK, where the participants are expected to sign over a large percentage of their life’s income gathered from performing/recording.

I’m aware of a similar scenario with shows in the UK, where the participants are expected to sign over a large percentage of their life’s income gathered from performing/recording.

It’s not that onerous here. But there are strings attached that surprised me.

My wife enjoys watching this show...I personally don't care for it just from (in my opinion) the over-saturation of singing competitions and talent shows. I will say, I did notice a couple seasons ago there was A LOT of PRS content on that show. If I remember correctly, the backing band had a couple in them and a couple contestants even played them on stage. For that reason alone, I would watch those performances.

Didn't see this particular episode, but saw a picture on Yahoo and figured I post it here...
04a89270aa9243e5ab2c3831f7922e3a

PRS website has a link to video. The female guitar player in the band also pulls out a PRS on some songs.

Last edited:
Admitted “guilty pleasure”. I think this has been the best Idol yet, and the top ten talent had some really good ones. On the other hand, I’ve found this season’s Voice to be really disappointing.

Holy crap!! 7 records from the American Idol deal?? I'd almost rather be runner-up. Many of the accolades, but presumably without the strings attached??

Kevin

Actually, the producers get options on all the contestants. Doesn’t matter if they win.

Back