Am I an alien? - What's wrong with me?

jfb

Plank Owner
When I play guitar. This happens. Regardless of fretboard lumber and string brand.

What's wrong with me? :confused:

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

Acidic sweat causing string corrosion is the only answer I have come across that makes any amount of sense. And even this doesn't really seem like the case unless I should be in X-Men. Fine by me cause mutants rule and Mystique is hot sauce.

Afraid you are not an alien just another case of cheap chinese strings :laugh:

"We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

574816-borg2.jpg

Borg1.jpg

At lease it's not this Borg...

6a00e39826b2898833012876079956970c-800wi

Last edited:
Right. And who is it again that's the only guy trying to be proactive about the threat to our planet from blue guitars?!

PissedOffSmall_zps35bc9bb1.jpg

That's it, the trip to Chicago is definitely CANCELLED!!

;)

That doesn't happen to me, but my finger sweat does corrode strings fairly quickly. After a two hour gig, even brand new strings are toast.

When I play one of Alan's guitars, he sets a timer! :D

really ???

Yeah that was after about 2 hours of playing #4080 strung with Elixir's. I seem to remember other strings doing it too. I'm going to switch brands and see if that helps. I've played Elixir's so long I can't remember if other strings are as bad. Regardless, warm water easily washes it off my hands and I clean my guitars thoroughly after each use.

;)

That doesn't happen to me, but my finger sweat does corrode strings fairly quickly. After a two hour gig, even brand new strings are toast.

Dude. Chicago is happening. LOL.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;59052 said:
My fingers look like that after playing too. But it only happens with nickel strings.

I've seen it to a degree with some strings, but I didn't care enough to pay attention to which ones. Seems like good odds it was nickel though, which I don't use very much.

To quote Frank Zappa, "Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?" Do you ever clean your fretboard?

Or, maybe, do you oil the fretboard a lot? Could be the board is too moist and gathers a lot of dust and dirt. My suggestion is, next time you change strings, clean the fretboard really well with naptha. If that still happens with a clean board and fresh strings, then you are indeed an alien.

Ha, literally laughing out loud here!! :D

You know you want to chunk on Cherry Cola! :rofl:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;59052 said:
My fingers look like that after playing too. But it only happens with nickel strings.

I have read Elixir's are a steel core with nickel wrap.

To quote Frank Zappa, "Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?".

Some.

Never seen anything like that dude, what are your superpowers?

My voice.

;)

Your sweat also corrodes nitro on the back of the neck. Definitely have to wipe it down after Pete gets his mitts on it.:) As of now, I don't own a gloss nitro neck so that how I'm solving the problem.

The only time I tend to see that kind if stuff on my fingers is if there is still some filler left in the fretboard (on a new guitar) or if I use Gorgamite on a fretboard and didn't get all of it off.

I dunno. It only happens to me when I play Markie's guitars. He oils the fretboards once a year (I think). Otherwise, I've never had it happen anywhere.

Back