Alternate wiring for five way blade Custom 22 & Custom 24

garrett

Since buying an S2 Singlecut Standard a couple years ago, I've been totally hooked on having separate coil splits with the PRS resistor wiring. I vowed that it's a must have feature for me going forward.

Then a couple weeks ago I fell for a great Custom 22 with the blade switch. Positions 1, 3, and 5 were great, but I wasn't crazy about positions 2 and 4. I also really missed having split bridge or split neck alone. I had to get that eight sound wiring!

So I did some studying and some experimenting and devised the below wiring scheme. I'm sharing for any like minded pickers. Turn your Custom into an eight tone monster!

The wiring uses the existing volume pot and blade switch. You'll just need a push/pull pot and a couple of resistors. I went with the CTS single pole push/pull from StewMac. Great quality and I find it a bit easier to pull up than the stock PRS. Rotation is stiffer however.

Alternatively, you can skip the push/pull and tape off the red bridge pickup wire to have a modified version of the stock wiring. No replacement parts needed.

jV17UOr.jpg

Necro’ing this just to say thanks. Did this mod to my rusty old P22 just for grins and am loving the results of a few new sounds.

Interesting!

I too was always a fan of position 2 and 4 on the 5 way rotary switch, and didn't like the newer combinations as much. I changed the standard 5 way selector blade for a Schaller Megaswitch P to get me there on 2 guitars, which now sound awsome. Simple job for my tech

Since buying an S2 Singlecut Standard a couple years ago, I've been totally hooked on having separate coil splits with the PRS resistor wiring. I vowed that it's a must have feature for me going forward.

Then a couple weeks ago I fell for a great Custom 22 with the blade switch. Positions 1, 3, and 5 were great, but I wasn't crazy about positions 2 and 4. I also really missed having split bridge or split neck alone. I had to get that eight sound wiring!

So I did some studying and some experimenting and devised the below wiring scheme. I'm sharing for any like minded pickers. Turn your Custom into an eight tone monster!

The wiring uses the existing volume pot and blade switch. You'll just need a push/pull pot and a couple of resistors. I went with the CTS single pole push/pull from StewMac. Great quality and I find it a bit easier to pull up than the stock PRS. Rotation is stiffer however.

Alternatively, you can skip the push/pull and tape off the red bridge pickup wire to have a modified version of the stock wiring. No replacement parts needed.

jV17UOr.jpg

Hi! I'm new to the forum and to the wiring things too. I've been looking for a way to get something like this but with a super switch. I own a SE C24 and I'd like to have the core switching options plus the possibility to split the humbuckers in any position with a push/pull pot (that I already have).
If that is possible it would be awesome, but I find a little confusing to compare the super switch vs the PRS 5 way switch

Thanks in advance!

jV17UOr.jpg
Thank you for this and I think it's the way I'll head. Guitar arrived yesterday and apart from a pretty average setup (I think the store and I had different opinions of a low action + the trem sat a little higher from the body than I'd normally like - easy fixes) I'm really digging the guitar. I think your diagram gives me more useable electrickery than a series/parallel switch.

I've already got a push/pull split in there so I'll sort out a 5 way blade this week. Are the screw holes for the switch the same spacing as a Fender switch?

Hello. I have a PRS 22 custom guitar, I would love to use your innovation, but I don't know what type of 5 way switch I should use. Please help me.

Back