All knobs are set to 11 today in Stevensville.....

The transformer look nice and big from the little you can see on the pic of the back of the head. Bigger is better.

Dammit! Just when I had my hands full deciding between a new Mesa, Bogner, or an Engl… I see this video and hear this delicious yumminess. Crap… what can I sell?

Dammit! Just when I had my hands full deciding between a new Mesa, Bogner, or an Engl… I see this video and hear this delicious yumminess. Crap… what can I sell?

Kidney? First born? Just saying :biggrin:

Thanks guys, I would really like to see a video of this amp turned down to bedroom volumes and see if it still sounds good.

Maybe Shawn could get us a demo?
If it works good, my dealer will be getting a call.

Noted.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but there are soundclips now on the Archon product page.

Tossed an e-mail at my local dealer today just to check on these.

I'm frigging doomed...

I think I need to check with my dealer to see when they have some coming in...

I LOVE my low-wattage MIDI amp, but this could pull me away from it.

Thanks guys, I would really like to see a video of this amp turned down to bedroom volumes and see if it still sounds good.

I'm in this camp. This is totally in my genre and style of playing, but considering my mini rectifier (25 watts, switchable to 10) never gets turned past 9 o'clock in the bedroom, I would be worried it wouldn't be worth the money for me. I mean, in reality, I don't need it. But man do I want it.

I'm in this camp. This is totally in my genre and style of playing, but considering my mini rectifier (25 watts, switchable to 10) never gets turned past 9 o'clock in the bedroom, I would be worried it wouldn't be worth the money for me. I mean, in reality, I don't need it. But man do I want it.

I think many people are in this camp these days. 36 watts is about as big as I can conceive actually playing with. The gig I was at this weekend saw a Two Rock 22 watt'er as the "loud" amp on the stage. I'm personally going back and forth between an 18 watt (with power soak options of 18, 5, 1, off) and 36 watt amps...

I think many people are in this camp these days. 36 watts is about as big as I can conceive actually playing with. The gig I was at this weekend saw a Two Rock 22 watt'er as the "loud" amp on the stage. I'm personally going back and forth between an 18 watt (with power soak options of 18, 5, 1, off) and 36 watt amps...
Just wondering on a high gainer like this with a good master volume, would 14 watts really make that much difference going from 36-50 watts? That's only about a 1-2 db difference isn't it? My Uberschall is rated at 150 watts but I can get a better TV volume tone from it than my 20 watt Friedman Pink Taco. I've found it varies greatly from one amp to the other but I'd assume it would be closer to the other high gainers in that regard, Boger, Mesa, etc.

Just wondering on a high gainer like this with a good master volume, would 14 watts really make that much difference going from 36-50 watts? That's only about a 1-2 db difference isn't it? My Uberschall is rated at 150 watts but I can get a better TV volume tone from it than my 20 watt Friedman Pink Taco. I've found it varies greatly from one amp to the other but I'd assume it would be closer to the other high gainers in that regard, Boger, Mesa, etc.

Yeah I think It really depends on the amp. My Diezel is 180Watts and sounds nothing like its supposed to unless its cranked and the tubes are hot. When I first got it I almost swore I hated it but decided to give it another run at a louder volume and it turned into a totally different amp.

I think this is the big question. For me, 36 has been my limit -- and it's typically played at a lower wattage with the power soak.

And to be clear, I'm happy this is 50 watts and not 100+. I think it has a lot of potential for having the clean headroom lower wattage amps seem to lack. I'm excited for the potential.

Whenever mine arrives I might toss something up, if I do so I'll try to put something together at bedroom volume for you. :)

And to be clear, I'm happy this is 50 watts and not 100+. I think it has a lot of potential for having the clean headroom lower wattage amps seem to lack. I'm excited for the potential.

Well just to be clear as it has been stated previously, it IS a 100 watt head, it just has a 50w switch which takes two of the power tubes out of the power section. While that will certainly have an effect on the overall tone, the volume difference is not going to be significantly different there. Looking at the calculator 100w = 50db, whereas 50w = 46.9897db, so while there is a slight difference in volume, it likely won't be as dramatic as you think. Really, it comes down to whether or not the amp has a good master volume if you're looking for that sweet spot for achieving great tone at bedroom volume.

In all honesty, the PRS amps really do seem to have a pretty darn good master volume from my experience with the two I've owned (PRS Original Sewell 50w and the customized "Gain Monster" 100w 2-channel H), but if you're looking for whisper volume with great metal tone out of a 100w high gain amp, I'm not entirely sure that's the most realistic hope to hold. :laugh:

All of that being said, I'll be jamming mine in a basement so I'm hoping the master volume is as good as I've seen on Doug's other amps. If that's the case, it should definitely be getting a lot of use at home, but likely when the neighbors/wife aren't home since the 100w 2-Channel H I had was pretty loud for the high gain side when things started to sound "better" on channel 2, FWIW. :top:

I'm also hoping to try my hand at profiling the amp at volume at a buddy's house with my Kemper so I could run the Kemper through my CLR at lower volumes while still getting that same tone when I'm at home and the wifey and pooch are around... :flute: Even with the profiles, I'll still be keeping the Archon around as while I love the Kemper, I still feel there is that little something extra you get from tube amps (besides hearing loss haha) that is hard to replicate without going 100w tube amp into a 4x12 guitar cab! :rock:

Last edited:
Back