All knobs are set to 11 today in Stevensville.....

Just saw this post on FB with some of Mark's amps for sale.

http://store.fret12.com/Mark-Tremonti-Bogner-Uberschall-p/f12_rsgmt-uber.htm

The Uberschall for sale makes me wonder if the Archon is actually replacing it vs the Mesa in his back line. I know he used to blend the mesa with the Bogner for his main rhythm tone live.

I saw this too and thought the same thing. Not that I know Mr. Tremonti very well, but I dont see him replacing the Boogies with anything. The Boogies always seem to be a core part of his rig. Other amps come and go, but a Recto is always in there.

NOT MINE! I wish…
These are from Rig Talk…

You can hear the speaker"suck" in that 2nd clip…..FFFUUUUUUUU! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
NOT MINE! I wish…
These are from Rig Talk…

You can hear the speaker"suck" in that 2nd clip…..FFFUUUUUUUU! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cool stuff. Can't wait to hear more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting those clips, sounds good (for a phone recording.)
Mine should arrive tomorrow, I will be "working" from home. Can't wait! :rock:

That lower gain tone sounds promising. A lot of high gainers don't sound all that great with the gain that low. Guess I'll find out more on Monday.

That lower gain tone sounds promising. A lot of high gainers don't sound all that great with the gain that low. Guess I'll find out more on Monday.
Agreed. Sounds pretty good to me! These are also at pretty low volume I think - you can hear the pick hitting the strings.

Has anyone who has ordered an Archon gone about changing tubes? I'm seriously considering getting one, but I'm concerned about biasing. My tube amp experience is limited to Mesa/Boogie and their fixed bias amps. I've never done it before so it's a bit of a concern. I see the external bias jacks to measure voltage. Is there an adjustable pot in the chassis that can be tweaked? I like trying different tubes and would hate to have to send my amp away for something as trivial as a tube change.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably inexpensive multimeter? It's been ages since I've used one. The last time was 25 years ago when I was in the Air Force.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably inexpensive multimeter? It's been ages since I've used one. The last time was 25 years ago when I was in the Air Force.

Got a Harbor Freight around you? They have some pretty cheap ones. Granted, you won't be getting state-of-the-art industry standards, but you should get something capable for the job.

Has anyone who has ordered an Archon gone about changing tubes? I'm seriously considering getting one, but I'm concerned about biasing. My tube amp experience is limited to Mesa/Boogie and their fixed bias amps. I've never done it before so it's a bit of a concern. I see the external bias jacks to measure voltage. Is there an adjustable pot in the chassis that can be tweaked? I like trying different tubes and would hate to have to send my amp away for something as trivial as a tube change.

I haven't swapped yet or even looked for the trim pot yet. I did however request a tube chart from PRS customer service so I know which pre affects what.
On a side note, I haven't gotten to play my Archon in over a week and am itching for it bad. Still trying to figure out if I can use my Voodoo Lab control switcher to change channels via midi in my rig. Hopefully with NAMM over with I can get some solid answers. I'm leary of just plugging the thing in with a regular 5 pin din cable without wiring a cable specific to the amp functions and the switcher. Emails into both Voodoo and PRS on using the 2 together. Really want to put this amp in my rig.

I haven't swapped yet or even looked for the trim pot yet. I did however request a tube chart from PRS customer service so I know which pre affects what.
On a side note, I haven't gotten to play my Archon in over a week and am itching for it bad. Still trying to figure out if I can use my Voodoo Lab control switcher to change channels via midi in my rig. Hopefully with NAMM over with I can get some solid answers. I'm leary of just plugging the thing in with a regular 5 pin din cable without wiring a cable specific to the amp functions and the switcher. Emails into both Voodoo and PRS on using the 2 together. Really want to put this amp in my rig.

I'm interested in hearing how this turns out. MIDI has become something I'm looking for with an amp...

Here is my honest and unbiased review. Well I am slightly biased as I love PRS.

I loved the video that PRS did for this amp. Loved it so much I ordered one and got it in the other day. Was boxed really well and I was excited to get it out and put it with my other amps, (I have 6 other amps) and rock out. Plugged it in, started at it, and wow, this amp sounded AWFUL. I hated it. Sounded so thin, no saturation, no layers, was my bayck in the box, back to Musicians Friend. I clouldn't be more disappointed, but at least these funds will now be going towards a Bogner.

Sorry guys, this amp is not that good at all and I googled I archon amp sounds bad and found a lot of stories similar to mine.

My advice, don't buy! YMMV

Here is my honest and unbiased review. Well I am slightly biased as I love PRS.

I loved the video that PRS did for this amp. Loved it so much I ordered one and got it in the other day. Was boxed really well and I was excited to get it out and put it with my other amps, (I have 6 other amps) and rock out. Plugged it in, started at it, and wow, this amp sounded AWFUL. I hated it. Sounded so thin, no saturation, no layers, was my bayck in the box, back to Musicians Friend. I clouldn't be more disappointed, but at least these funds will now be going towards a Bogner.

Sorry guys, this amp is not that good at all and I googled I archon amp sounds bad and found a lot of stories similar to mine.

My advice, don't buy! YMMV

M advice? Don't listen to Mr 'I've got 6 other amps therefore I know all there is to know'!

Sounds to me like the amp had issues. Why not see if it could be sorted before declaring it a poor amp and telling the world not to buy it.

And if.... IF it is a simple case of you not liking the tone then that is not a reason to tell people not to buy it.

Back