Advice needed: Prs Standard 22 v/s S2 CU22 v/s S2 standard 22(satin)

Cris_mas

Amateur Extraordinaire
Hello guys!
I'm Cris, from Chile and i have been playing guitar for around 18 years, and i'm looking for getting better gear, in this case the guitar. Currently i own an SE Singlecut that is nice but i'm starting to feel the lack of "something". So i started to investigate about "afordable" US made models and i've found 3 choices that can fit my eventual budget (aprox $1100 us dollars); one is the prs standard 22, tremolo equiped, that i happened to love at first sight, specially the faded finished ones made me think of a perfect guitar with it's mahogany body (i'm not crazy about maple tops, since i prefer a darker tone) and the build quality, apart of all US made components. Then i've found the S2 series,of which i've tested both the custom 24 and the standard 22 on gold finish, and i must say i wasn't that impressed. The neck of the 24 was too long for me Lol! The S2 Standard 22 was hard to play (i felt it needed new strings and an adjustment) funny thing because i knew they put 009 from factory (i use 10's ) and read a lot of mixed comments about the S2 series has left me thinking is better to go for a used all US made one. Maybe i'm biased or i just played a "regular" one. So i'm not sure to what i should aim and i can't make a desicion for now based on my raw experience. Could you guys recomend me one of the three (i haven't tested the S2 Cu22, i guess is something similiar to the 24, but more comfy) and what to do since i'm planning on buy it in the States, but i will have to carry it to Chile.
Any advice is welcome, thanks!

If you've decided to buy a used core, you have many more options than the ones you mention. In the $1100 price range you could also look at Mira's, CE's, and the Standards. Even a few McCarty's. Shipping to Chile would be rough but maybe that is why you are flying to the states. When you fly back, just ask them to place it in the coat closet. Works best for me.

Thank you guys for pointing some ideas the truth is i've never tried a standard, but i fell in love with prs in a jam session in a bar and an amazing guy lent me his Mcarty...the action was way too high but i can swear it was one of the most amazing guitars Ive ever played. That night i felt like a king and sounded amazing so i expect no less in a standard. My small problem is my budget is not considering a travel to the states so i will "trust" in a postal service (at the same time that keeps my budget in place) and maybe a friend can help me there. So i've been thinking in the S2 as well but new they are expensive as hell...even with the postal service and customs fee a used PRS is way cheaper than a new S2 so go figure. What should i take care to avoid scams ir fake Prs's?

Last edited:
Well, i've found out that the S2 series has the usa nut (unnobatanium?) And i have only this one in Chile to look at:
OaLPq01.jpg

Not bad at all. The scratchplate isn't pretty but well... If it's functional i can deal with it, and Ive heard sound samples and to me sounds better than the S2 cu24/22 so i will narrow my search to the standards only (core/S2); my grips on buying this is the stupid price they ask for it here new. Mmm dilemma!!

I have one of those and it's one of my all time favorites!!
Thats great!! can you please tell me how has been your experience in general, have you replaced any component? Tuning stabillity? Any downsides?

:) Sure!!

I did, and had to do, NOTHING to the guitar. I took it out of the shipping box, tuned it up, and rocked. It was perfect. Eventually I tweaked the set-up (just the action) to my tastes, but didn't adjust anything else. Tuning stability is great. It is just a really awesome rock-n-roll guitar. Here's a video demo/review I did of it:

The video covers ONE mod I ended up doing for personal tastes, but still NO component has been changed.

:) Sure!!

I did, and had to do, NOTHING to the guitar. I took it out of the shipping box, tuned it up, and rocked. It was perfect. Eventually I tweaked the set-up (just the action) to my tastes, but didn't adjust anything else. Tuning stability is great. It is just a really awesome rock-n-roll guitar. Here's a video demo/review I did of it:

The video covers ONE mod I ended up doing for personal tastes, but still NO component has been changed.
Wow! great demo without doubt!
I've been checking Reverb.com and i have to say i i'm now considering the CE22 as well...i'll be damned, they are such beauties...but i have doubts about the maple necks. Does it change too much the feel/sound to it? And i've found some standard 24 ones too...nice axes but they are not in faded and solid color seem the most they go away are the silver and black ones. No love for them?

Wow! great demo without doubt!
I've been checking Reverb.com and i have to say i i'm now considering the CE22 as well...i'll be damned, they are such beauties...but i have doubts about the maple necks. Does it change too much the feel/sound to it?

In my opinion, YES, the neck changes the tone a lot. First PRS I bought in my latest attempt at the brand was a CE22. It had an annoying frequency that my subsequent all Mahogany guitars don't have. Can't explain it more than that. Even my wife noticed when we played a CU22 back-to-back with the CE22....

My #1 is my swamp ash special, with a maple board and neck. My #2 is an old CE 24 with a male neck and a rosewood board. Personally, I prefer maple necks, even on my older non`PRS archtops. Gtr #3 is all hog.

Hey guys, well some troubles has left me out of my search for a while, but anyway i've found interesting things. I was really impressed to find Mcarty models with tremolo bridge what happened to be damn sexy....but the research has left more questions than answers...any PRS user could please illuminate me more on this ones? Mcarty's are surelly sexy (but i preffer the older ones, not the ones that look like LP's -no offense intended- )

There have been "McTrem's" in the past. I believe David Grissom played one before he got his signature model.

My 2 cents on the guitars you're considering...

You almost can't go wrong! The only things I would caution you to consider are whether you want a maple neck, and a trem. Maple necks have a faster, sharper attack, and feel brighter, more treble-y. Trem bridges take some of the low end thickness out of some guitars.

I have a couple of S2 22's (satin standard, semi hollow), they're fantastic. I don't think they're going to feel any different in terms of playability from a core, once they're set up. But the neck will be slightly smaller than a wide-fat, so it's all in your preference. I like the S2 neck because I have small hands, but like all other PRS profiles as well.

So, I suppose consider the specs you want between neck woods and carve and bridge types, and then just go for whichever guitar tugs on your heart strings. There's not a wrong answer, if I were you I'd be happy with any one!

thanks guys, i really appreciate your help. I'am only missing the testimonials of an owner of a Standard 22 core...i want to know if somenone has or had one, if it's better/worse/equal/different world to a CU22 (to consider buying it used) and i must say my finalists on budget and quality/love are:
-Standard 22/24 (yes, i included the 24 cause i see the 22 are a bit scarse and more expensive than 24's! )
-S2 Standard 22 satin (love the charcoal satin finish!)
-Custom 22 (used of course)
-S2 Custom 22 (i have something with the finish and the details with this particular one that made me put it last on the list)

My point is versatilty (i'm writing progressive rock stuff), comfort when playing and a resonant piece of wood (love that thing when you play and the vibration of that wood comes to your body) and tuning stability, which are the reasons why i want to retire my SE SC.

Cheers & thanks!!

thanks guys, i really appreciate your help. I'am only missing the testimonials of an owner of a Standard 22 core...i want to know if somenone has or had one, if it's better/worse/equal/different world to a CU22

Better/worse - depends. Equal/different - yes. I personally prefer to have a maple top on a humbucker guitar. I find it adds some top end that balances the tone out, while I find all-mahogany guitars to have more of a midrange focus. But another player may have the exact opposite opinion as I do. Both are equally great, depending on what you like, tone-wise.

Last edited:
Better/worse - depends. Equal/different - yes. I personally prefer to have a maple top on a humbucker guitar. I find it adds some top end that balances the tone out, while I find all-mahogany guitars to have more of a midrange focus. But another player may have the exact opinion as I do. Both are equally great, depending on what you like, tone-wise.
I agree with you, and I'm that other guy. I do hear more highs with a maple top, and I prefer the all hog midrange. I like them both, I play both, but my favorite tone with a male top has the tone knob on 6 - 8 and with hog it's on 8 - 10.

Standard 22 (or 24 if you must)

Also still available from dealers are CE24 Standards. Satin finish, mahogany body, maple neck. You might get a discount if you ask nicely. I did upgrade the bridge to MannMade NOS though.

While an S2 is made in USA and will feel great, you'll still have "S" Pickups and Trem. Not that they're bad, but personally I replaced all that on my SE.

Back