Added an Archon 100 and Stealth Cab to the arsenal but....

I just got a 100 watt Archon head. Loving it so far. I haven't had too many issues with the loop but I did notice when I had my Decimator G String pedal sitting on top of the head it hummed. Moved it to the floor and problem solved. I do notice a little RFI noise from the pedal on the clean channel but it's still very useable. Overall I love the tone of the head and the build quality. I will probably do the effects loop mod since it's quick and easy though. Very happy with this amp!
P.S. what's up Vchizzle??

Moving my delay off the top of the amp worked for me too. The engagement "pop" remains, but the loop is quite usable now. I wish I had tried this sooner!

I read over the thread so I don't think this is a repeat.

I recently bought a 50 watt Archon EL34 combo (Jan 6). I haven't experienced ANY of the loop problems you guys are describing. I'm only running a Strymon BigSky in the loop and there is absolutely ZERO noise. So either they fixed the problems or i have one of the pedals that works correctly. I havent tried any other pedals though.

Just thought I would share

I know that friedman amps has the best fx loop out there. I would only use day Rev through the loop rack mount through the loop pedals in the front. Get the FX8 from fractal

So, I've been playing more with effects in the loop in general and recently rotated the Archon back into the gig rig. I have a TC Flashback, a boss chorus, a fulltone univibe and a B9 organ pedal in the loop (though I only use the B9 when on the clean channel.) I gotta say... There is absolutely no noise added whatsoever... I mean nada....when I engage the loop. Not sure it's relevant but I run a voodoo pedal power thingy to power the devices in the loop and that's separate from the one-shot used to power the pedals in front of the amp. And all pedals are on the same board well removed from the amp itself. The amp is S/N 47, so it was before any presumed mods to the loop... Very curious because I don't doubt the reports of loop noise, but mine is so transparent.

So regarding the effect loop issue, here is another statement from a PRS tech that I wanted to share with you...

"...as far as compatability with effects are concerned, we are slowly developing a clearer picture of what works and what doesn't. For instance we have a customer who uses TC Electronics and TRex effects; the TC Electronics gear works silently but the Trex (reverb) is very noisy. It is not that there is anything wrong with the Trex, it is just that its impedance is mismatched to the impedance of the Archon FX loop. I am hoping to clarify what specifications will match the loop so that it becomes easier to predict what will work and what won't but it is clear that some effects will work silently with the Archon and some will produce hiss."

So this would explain why people like aristotle have no problems at all and some like me have a bunch of hiss going on...

So regarding the effect loop issue, here is another statement from a PRS tech that I wanted to share with you...

"...as far as compatability with effects are concerned, we are slowly developing a clearer picture of what works and what doesn't. For instance we have a customer who uses TC Electronics and TRex effects; the TC Electronics gear works silently but the Trex (reverb) is very noisy. It is not that there is anything wrong with the Trex, it is just that its impedance is mismatched to the impedance of the Archon FX loop. I am hoping to clarify what specifications will match the loop so that it becomes easier to predict what will work and what won't but it is clear that some effects will work silently with the Archon and some will produce hiss."

So this would explain why people like aristotle have no problems at all and some like me have a bunch of hiss going on...

Hmmm.... gonna have to give some others effects a go then.

This makes logical sense since impedance matching is an issue with all amps...at the input or loop. Some pedals just don't mesh with certain amps in certain applications. That's not a design flaw.

Hate to resurrect this thread, but I have an Archon 100 manufactured in March 2015, which supposedly has the mod and I still get noise out of the loop. Wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat or if anyone has tried something else that has worked like the Klein-ulator?

thanks

Back