acoustic case or no case?

eveyprs

question guys, what is best for my acoustic when not in use at home, in its case or on a stand? i have been told on a stand is best?
regards

Dave

Bob Taylor has written a lot about keeping an acoustic cased when not in use. I've posted often about it as well.

A case buffers the guitar from the constant temperature and humidity changes that occur during a 24 hour period in any house or building. It's the changes in temp and humidity that cause guitars to crack, have tops do funny things, etc., etc. Regardless of climate, a case is the safest place for the guitar when it's not being played.

And of course, if you live somewhere temperate, where you have winter, or in a dry environment , it's important to humidify the guitar when the RH regularly dips below about 40%.

Whoever told you that a stand is best simply doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

No contest here at all! Keep that puppy cased. Humidity control for acoustics is essential - just ask my Taylor 355-12 :(

Any acoustic that is worth more than $500 here lives in its case with a humidifier.

No contest here at all! Keep that puppy cased. Humidity control for acoustics is essential - just ask my Taylor 355-12 :(

Any acoustic that is worth more than $500 here lives in its case with a humidifier.

Agreed. I have a couple of expensive acoustics and they live in their cases with humidifier (as needed) when not being played. I have some lesser expensive acoustics that I keep out for easy access to play when I only have a few minutes or when friends and family come by and want to play (especially those who don't really know how to treat a good instrument ... :) ) Also, if you have pets or children, you proably would already know the answer to the question. Even electrics are in grave danger with small kids running around ...

I installed a whole house humidifier in my ventilation system, mainly for my guitars... but the acoustics stay cased most of the time, regardless.

I keep my acoustic on the wall. My reasoning is that if it's not out, I'm not going to play it, and that defeats the purpose of owning it. :). That said, I live in FL, and the house has AC, so temp and humidity are pretty constant.

Even electrics are in grave danger with small kids running around ...

Got that right! Recently, I'm sitting on the stool playing guitar. In marches my 5 year old daughter holding her 1/2 size acoustic with the headstock hanging all the way out to the left. Before I can react, she heads straight by my full five guitar rack stand. I start yelling "NO!" at the top of my lungs as she passes within an inch of whacking her headstock on all five guitar neckss, then proceeds to turn around, swinging the headstock back about an inch away from the top of my HBII.

I felt bad because of course I made her cry, and all she was doing was coming in to jam with Daddy. She's normally really good about the guitars. So we had a lesson on how to carry a guitar and drafted a new rule stating one does not proceed into the guitar area without permission.

In the case is obviously the safest place. :cool:

Got that right! Recently, I'm sitting on the stool playing guitar. In marches my 5 year old daughter holding her 1/2 size acoustic with the headstock hanging all the way out to the left. Before I can react, she heads straight by my full five guitar rack stand. I start yelling "NO!" at the top of my lungs as she passes within an inch of whacking her headstock on all five guitar neckss, then proceeds to turn around, swinging the headstock back about an inch away from the top of my HBII.

I felt bad because of course I made her cry, and all she was doing was coming in to jam with Daddy. She's normally really good about the guitars. So we had a lesson on how to carry a guitar and drafted a new rule stating one does not proceed into the guitar area without permission.

In the case is obviously the safest place. :cool:

Been there.

One reason I keep 'em cased, though my kids are now grown. You just never love those little accidents that happen.

Back