A survey - would you buy...?

Would you buy a "used" PRS Core priced between $1250 & $1,800 with...

• Total voters

Charlie

All, I'm trying to determine what's important to all you PRS owners when you shop for a used PRS. Please let us know what you think.

Last edited:
That price range can get you any number of variants from mint to roached. Varies greatly by model, as well. If you're going to play it, then nothing in your list would be a dealer breaker. If you're collecting, they all would have some value of importance.

I wouldn't let anything get in the way if it was something I have been looking for. The biggest hang up, for me, would be fret condition. For example, last year a Swamp Ash 513 with a maple neck popped up on Reverb. Those things don't last long. Hours. Maybe a day. It was pretty beat up. Honest road wear, and all cosmetic. It fell in the price range you listed above. It was something I really wanted, so I pounced. No regrets. Plays great, sounds mean!

I agree with the above sentiments...fretwear would be the only thing to deter me if it was something that I really wanted, or thought was a good deal to add something different to the collection.

For me anytime a PRS falls below 2K ( 1800 is killer ) I start to get weak.
I have a few that were colors I was not sure of that I have grown to love !!!!

Depending on model fret wear might be the only thing to make me think a bit.

Lately I have picked up a killer Core Mira with finish issues and bumps and bruises
A DGT with different pickups and finish issues also some honest use.
A SCT with different bridge pickup and a sanded ( deglossed neck )

At least one of these will see PTC down the line :)

$1800 has to be pretty sweet cosmetically - UNLESS it is just a magical piece where it is transcendental in the hands. $1250 can be "loved" a lot more, but still needs to play and feel righteous. The case needs to be original and work no matter what.

Haha gold hardware is funny. I really don’t like it but that’s just me. I’d still own a guitar with it, if I dug the rest.

I’ll echo, any core below 2k is a sweet deal

The first thing I usually look for, in a used PRS, in no order...major fret wear in lower 3-5 frets, does the truss rod still function, and do electronics work. All a little wear n tear does is help get the price down. I loved shopping used.

Side note: as far as the truss rod...this is only mentioned because I have encountered various guitars where someone other than someone qualified had made an attempt to adjust , and damaged it in the process...

Last edited:
Back