A guy can change his mind, right? NGD

8-)

Lsat week I was going to purchase the Lifeson as soon as it became available. The week before I was going to get the Angelus Standard. The week before that, it was the Custom. Before that, who knows, I just know it was going to be a PRS acoustic.

i ended up pulling the trigger on the Custom. Don't ask why, I'm not even sure. I will just say that I am very, very happy. Haven't had much time to play it yet, that will come. So just so you know it's real, here's the picture. Not a very good picture, but you all have seen perfect pictures of the Custom already.

7243703F-ACAC-40D3-AA25-86761AA5B8E7_zpshaoqpozb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyway, if my playing was 1% of the quality of this guitar, I would be a very happy guy!

Yeah baby! I was in the same spot as you - looking at the Lifeson, but somehow the Angelus Custom seemed so appealing.

One of my bandmates played mine at practice last night. He really liked it, even if the fretboard is narrower than the Taylors and Martins he usually plays, but did comment it was brighter (less mid-rangy or less warm) than he is used to - so he is considering an Angelus Standard, which might be more like what he is used to due to the mahogany body.

I like the brightness, I need it to cut through during solos (I'm the lead guitarist and backup rhythm guitarist, he's the rhythm guy), so if he got a Standard it might be a nice pairing.

Enjoy! And post a pic or two of the back and sides - they all look a little different...

Thanks for the kind words! I've been having a great time playing away (well, for me, more like banging away) on it.

I will try to get a decent picture of the back, but the back is very dark, so i doubt I will be successful. The back of Shinksma's Custom is gorgeous, mine doesn't compare.

A newbie question for anyone that can help: Are new acoustic strings tougher on the fingers until they get some playing time?

In my experience, acoustic strings are tougher on your fingers, period - they are a larger gauge, and the bronze or bronze-phosphor winding seems to be tougher on fingers than the nickel-plated steel of electric guitar strings. But you'll build up strength and callouses, as long as you play it regularly (every couple of days or so).

In my experience, acoustic strings are tougher on your fingers, period - they are a larger gauge, and the bronze or bronze-phosphor winding seems to be tougher on fingers than the nickel-plated steel of electric guitar strings. But you'll build up strength and callouses, as long as you play it regularly (every couple of days or so).
Thanks, that is good to know. I have been playing every day and feeling the fingers get tougher. Before I got the Angelus I had been playing my sons old Peavey acoustic with ancient strings, and while it was tough going to the Peavey from the electric PRS Tremonti, the Angelus added another (small) level of roughness to the strings. But after a few hours of playing it seems better - maybe just mind over matter, or maybe just an adjustment to a new guitar.

I'm really enjoying the Angelus!!!

And thanks for your help Shinksma, it is appreciated.

Lowered the action on mine this week. It plays like butter now and a lot easier on the fingers too. I actually love playing barre chords now.

Hmm, is there any disadvantage to doing this? (I wouldn't do it myself, there is a local luthier that is very good.). Easier barre chords would make me very happy...

Congrats1 And welcome to Club SE Angelus - Custom Memebership! Wonderful guitars.

Had it done professionally. I did it myself on a previous guitar and never got it low enough for my liking. My luthier got it right the first time. Huge difference on the barre chords. I recommend it highly.

Hmm, is there any disadvantage to doing this? (I wouldn't do it myself, there is a local luthier that is very good.). Easier barre chords would make me very happy...

The only possible negative bout lowering the action is a bit of (or a bit more) fret buzz. Usually only you will hear that in performance, if not severe.

I am comfortable with the action on my SE Angelus Custom, but I can see some folks wanting it lower.

Back