85/15's in a CE-24 - Opinions

Jmango

So I just scored a brand new pair of 85/15's from a dealer and they should arrive this week. I have no experience with them, but based on the great reviews I am reading, they are the PU to try...

Anyhow, I love my 2002 CE-24, as a guitar. Fit, feel, playability is stellar, but frankly I cannot really take the HFS /VB PU's anymore... I just don't like them and they sound dated to my ear; hence, I don't play this otherwise awesome guitar.... I got these 85/15's as a stroke of luck and don't really have a guitar to put them into and it occurred to me that they should be destined for the CE-24 since I already don't like the incumbent pickups installed.

Wanted to see if anyone else out there has done this or has these PU's in a maple neck PRS...

Whaddaya got to lose? Put 'em and turn it up! I'll be doing similar soon with a CE24 and 59/09's.

I have 5708 squabbins in my Ce24. I'm totally happy with it. I thought the guitar would be brighter with the maple neck but it isn't.

If I get the chance to snag 8515s I will do it. So far I have 5909s, 5708s, Ms, drag 1s and drag 2s covered.

Whaddaya got to lose? Put 'em and turn it up! I'll be doing similar soon with a CE24 and 59/09's.

I have a custom 24 with 5909s and they can be bright sounding with the vol rolled back. Let us know how they work in your ce.

I'm really looking forward to this experiment. I just put 59/09's in my SC250 and ho - lee - **** did it make that guitar sing! Made me realize how much I didn't like the stock PU's, which I never bonded with...

I have a tracking number for both a 3-way drop in as well as the 85/15's... Hopefully I'll get this all delivered and wired up this week...!

Last edited:
Hey guys!
Man I totally agree with what's being said about the stock pickups in a ce24, way to bright. I have the Hfs and bass and I usually have to turn the tone knob down a bit to make it playable.

I find this very interesting bcs I remember putting in a evh pickup into a custom 24 and it did not work well. I'm wondering if it would in an Ce or mby trying a seymour duncan evh.

I'm still on the hunt!
Good luck guys.

I just got a CU24 30th with a maple neck (albeit an African Blackwood fretboard) and I love the sound of the 85/15s. They have a little clearer top end than 57/08s (which I have in my P22) but not harsh. I say go for it.

Tom

Resurrecting and old thread because i am about to receive some 85/15 pups and i may put them in my 2003 ce 24. Any more thoughts or experiences with this since it has been a while since they came out?

Back