85/15 vs 57/08 vs 59/09

I just recorded a demo of my 57/08 pups vs 59/09s in the neck-mid position (clean) to listen out for the quack and which sounds better.

https://soundcloud.com/tommysixstring/prs-5708-uncovered-5909-covered-comparison-neck-mid

The first part wasn't really amplified enough so you hear more of the guitar than the pick-ups through the amp.
Last two sections I turn the amp up.

To me, the 59/09s (covered) sound somewhat muffled (almost like the tone is turned down) - I think they have quack but not as much as the 57/08. I've decided I like that they're hotter output but I don't like the muffled sound.
--> Maybe I could get somebody to take the covers off an "unpot" them?

57/08 has a tighter & punchier low-end and perhaps more treble/mids. There is something just very satisfying about them. Have more quack and just enough nasal sound. Better definition, longer sustain, sounds like they have a natural reverb.

If you have a listen, please let me know what you think!

I think that covered vs uncovered is not a fair competition. I know you can't do nothing about it, but a reliable comparison should be covered vs covered or uncovered vs uncovered.
Thanx for the recording anyway, and congrats for your playing, stunning.

With your covered pickup try running them as close to the strings as you can ( fret the last note on the guitar and run the pickup to almost touching to start " Bridge pickup" and run the neck pickup just above the pickup ring )
Covers do take a bit of high end out of a given pickup ( IMHO )
Potting is just wax if you uncover the pickups the extra wax will just rub off the top of the pickups ( BUT ) enough people would want covered 59/09s that I bet you could trade for a uncovered set

Yes, I'd love to hear 59/09 covered vs uncovered.
Thanks for the suggestion - will try that!

I have to be honest - I am also considering getting some boutique hand-wound pickups fitted, custom-order to my exact specifications.

I wish my picking stood up to my legato playing :(

I usually like uncovered pickups better too so I get what you're saying. Try some of the suggestions above and it will at least help a little bit. Otherwise trade them for uncovered.

what about upgrading a PRS SE Bernie Mardsen? SC245 or 59/09 or BeastBuckers?

Lots of other options in that general tonal vicinity, too. Everything from Tonerider Alnico IV Classics (my own choice) to Suhr Thornbuckers and BK Mules...

I'm puzzled by the new pups Bernie is sponsoring (beastbucker, quite too expensive I'ld say) which are a replica of the '59LP "Beast" pups he owns...

Last edited:
I'm puzzled by the new pups Bernie is sponsoring (beastbucker, quite too expensive I'ld say) which are a replica of the '59LP "Beast" pups he owns...

Yeah, I was curious about those myself until I saw the price tag. I've seen interviews with Bernie where he seems to imply that the pickups in The Beast are a bit hotter/louder than regular PAFs, but the specs of the CrazyParts BeastBuckers are pretty standard PAF values: 7.4k neck, 8.3k bridge, "custom" Alnico magnets (A4?).

yes their values are quite normal - the stock BM pup has a quite higher value for the bridge one - but as far I know he himself put them on a couple of LPs, while kept the BM SE stock pups...

Last edited:
BM SE pups are quite fine (especially the neck).. and the gap with the american PRS quality is not huge

I'ld like to upgrade my BM to get it closer to US quality sound .. so it seems to me that - apart SD, DiMarzio, Tonerider etc.. PAF-like pups - the most correct choices for upgrading it to a US quality would be:

- a US PRS pups set, but the only available online that can fit the BM are IMO SC245 or, possibly, the 59/09 - which are among the best they make, but I guess those have never been used in a 24.5 gear;
- the Beast Bucker standard set (the "cheapest" version which is the one that fits the BM) that are Bernie's choice, and being the BM his budget version of The Beast I think those can be the most correct upgrade

both solutions are quite expensive however

Skipping right to the end... I have two Custom 24's and the very same three sets of pickups you mentioned in the original post. The 57/09's are for sale and the 57/08's and 58/15's are installed and in service in those two guitars because I love both of those sets of pickups above every other pickup PRS has ever made. The end.

After a lot more time (the last few months) playing both, I can definitely say there is something magical about 57/08s.
85/15 are definitely great but there is just something animalistic about 57/08s.
If I EVER see a matching blue fade 2013 Experience model with 57/08s to match my orange one, I'm buying it:

13120310382458f.jpg

By the way, what's going on with 57/08s... it seems 85/15s have completely taken over.
They've got this machine that winds the best PAFs out there and they seem to have put a halt on it.
More 57/08s guitars, please!

By the way, what's going on with 57/08s... it seems 85/15s have completely taken over.
They've got this machine that winds the best PAFs out there and they seem to have put a halt on it.
More 57/08s guitars, please!
That magic machine is also making the 85/15's (and the 58/15's for that matter). They are the latest incarnation of the 57/08 species.

Back