clearer
louder
crunch
vintage vibe
bite
heavenly
smooth
silky

Look a few posts back…..he realized he mis-posted. He meant that the 85/15's and 58/15's are the same except for the cover.

I remember when I made a mistake once too, but it was long, long ago…. ; - )

Not me, I'm perfect....lol. A perfect ass. Thanks for the correction, maybe I should read the whole post before responding. Ha think? =]

I've decided I'm being silly.
My orange Cu24 with 57/08s is amazing - fave guitar.
My purple with 59/09s is still great. They're a little hotter and I DO prefer the 85/15s (the guitar I tried in the shop was on par if not better than the orange one) BUT it's not worth selling the purple one for a big loss and then whacking more cash on top for that new model.
A bummer, but hey.

On another note.... I have practically two of the same guitar. How many of the same model do you have?

On another note.... I have practically two of the same guitar. How many of the same model do you have?

At one time I had four McCartys; one with mahogany neck and humbuckers, one with mahogany neck and P-90s, one with RW neck and humbuckers, and the last with RW neck and P-90s.

I'm sure my thinking was to have each of the versions, but for me it was overkill. That was about ten years ago, about the time I realized that my workflow wasn't helped by having to decide, for example, whether I wanted to play a RW neck humbucker on a track, or a mahogany neck version of the same guitar. So I reduced my choices down to a few guitars, and sold off several.

Of course, as I sit here with one of the new McCartys with a maple neck, I am lusting after a second one with a mahogany neck! The more things change...;)

Anyway, right now I have no two of the same model.

I've decided I'm being silly.
My orange Cu24 with 57/08s is amazing - fave guitar.
My purple with 59/09s is still great. They're a little hotter and I DO prefer the 85/15s (the guitar I tried in the shop was on par if not better than the orange one) BUT it's not worth selling the purple one for a big loss and then whacking more cash on top for that new model.
A bummer, but hey.

Two Starlas, but very different woods - one is a Private Stock with a maple top and an ebony fretboard, the other is a Core but with a solid rosewood neck.

I have two Cu24's Same guitar right down to the Artist package. Only difference is the color. The first one was my first PRS. The 2nd one was too good of a deal to pass up. They sound alike, feel alike, just don't look alike.
Mesa.jpg

20140708_121918_zpsdf215aa7.jpg

It's fun to have both.

Nice, thanks for your replies!
That copper one looks brilliant.

I wont lie... when I got my first Cu24 (2013 Orange Fade Experience model with pattern thin satin maple neck, 10 top, 57/08 pups) I had to have the other (same but Wood Library, violet quilt, 59/09 pups) largely because the first was so good, I wanted another, and I liked the colour.........!!

Im going to regret not buying the one in the shop. I could easily buy it and have loads to spare but the money is really meant for car + house deposit. Probably one of the best guitars I've played to date. Argh lol..

Last edited:
a buddy of mine ( who is a very active musician) came over to try out my prsi, since he is in the market. With his playing skills, I was able to really get a good feel on the line of prs pickups I have in my collection. I have to say I have known the 53/10 to be something special and man did he prove it. Hands down the best PRS has made in what I have in my collection. Second was the a tie with the 58/15 and 57/08. Each similar to 53/10 with various difference in bass, midrange qualities. The 53/10 have an amazing clarity to them even when hr drove the crap out of his 3rdPower 40w amp. The 58/15 came in second in the area. Third was a surprise to him, but I was not surprised, modern eagle or AP pickups i have in a cu24. It just screamed and man he was able to really make the guitar do anything he wanted with them. except not a punchy as the 58/15. Then 59/09, VB/HFS. We ran out of time before he could give the studio with the NF a try. Next visit for them.

When I asked him which of the guitars he played, he would want to gig with now, it was the ME quattro with the 53/10 (rosewood neck too), then the PRS 245 with the 58/15 and third the Cu24 with the ME pickups.

So why don't they make the 53/10s any more? Just curious.

I don't think I have 53/10s in anything.

What were your/his thoughts on the 59/09s?
I have them but prefer my 57/08s.

Still, all really good pups, right?

we both felt they were more on the aggressive side. needed to roll back the volume to get them sounding the way he wanted. Still try nice compared to tother brands.

I'd love to hear demo's of these, one by one. I have the 57/08s and 59/09s.
59/09s have, I think, more treble and can be a bit more cutting and less "wooly." I prefer the 57/08s, I must say. Both great, though. Would love to hear a like-for-like comparison but haven't seen anything like that on youtube. Going a step further, why not a full pickup comparison on the website? Throw in HFS etc...

There is a pretty great video on YouTube where a guy tests tons of US and SE models with a variety of pickups. Will try find link but he goes through HFS, Dragon II, Mcarty, 57/08s.

So why don't they make the 53/10s any more? Just curious.

I don't think I have 53/10s in anything.

I had the 53/10s in a wonderful SC58 Artist with an ebony fingerboard, that I wish I still had. It sounded beautiful, but I got all hung up on chasing a more traditional SC tone. It worked out fine, in that I wound up with the McCarty Singlecut I affectionately refer to as The Hammer Of The Gods.

But I do miss that SC58 because it had a really special thing going on with those 53/10s, and would have been a nice compliment to the Hammer.

The thing about the 53/10s is that they have a very round, clear tone, with a thicker attack. At the time, I was thinking I wanted a more searing attack, and something with a bit more edge on the bridge pickup. However, having both would be very cool. The neck pickup of the 53/10 in particular was gorgeous sounding.

Last edited:

5909's are great pickups. I haven't read the whole thread but you could raise the screws for each individual string if you want a little more bite out of them. That should bring out a little more high end. Start by raising them all a 1/2 turn and see what happens. If it helps but the pickups feel a too hot, lower the overall height a little.

Last edited:
Back