85/15 pickups - Replace them ?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by amit, Nov 12, 2017 at 5:53 PM.

1. amit

amit New Member

Hi, a long time that i dont feel connection to the 85/15 stock pickups in my 2016 custom 24. they sound good but they are lack of mids and they are very dry.. wanted some more open pickups that can be also versatile and do good cleans but also plexi and even metal. they need to be medium to high output. thought on paf style of dimarzio and seymour duncan but not emg and bare knuckle. need a good lead (petrucci fun) but also a good clean. im also play plexi style.

I will be happy if there is someone that have done that in the past and can recommend me a good pups. thank you.

2. matt3310

matt3310 New Member

I'll buy yours if you want to sell them!

Check out the Tremonti set if you want to stay with PRS pickups. If you want to go outside PRS the SD distortion is pretty cool!

3. Screamingdaisy

Been thinking of pulling the 85-15s out of mine too. They're great for classic rock, but I didn't buy a Custom 24 to play classic rock.

I've been leaning towards either a PRS HFS or \m/. If you want a little less output the Duncan Custom is your classic hotrodded PAF sound.

4. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

I recommend against high output. They tend to sound terrible clean. The Tremonti set is awfully ice pick in standard tuning, better down tuned. My experience has been that medium output pickups plus a high gain or boosted amp is better both clean and dirty. You might try boosting your amp with an od808 or ts9 before you decide you don’t have enough mids.

Duncan custom custom, distortion, dirty fingers, etc may be reasonable alternatives. I like 58/15 for clean through hard rock. Cold sweats for rock through metal.

5. amit

amit New Member

glad to hear that, i heard the HFS and loved them. will consider replace the 85/15 in them.

6. amit

amit New Member

i dont think i will sell them because if i will ever want to sell my guitar i prefer to sell it with them.

7. amit

amit New Member

i have tried everything man! had a maxon od9 and right now i have the awesome mjolnir klon from mythos pedals for it. they sound very trebleie, dry and very thin. the sound is very good and in high level but its not my taste at all. the mids that come from ts9, od808, od9 bring more mids but dint affect the pickup itself. thank you.

8. Ovibos

Ovibos No, YOU'RE a New Member!

Thin, trebly and high level might mean the pickups are too high up? Did you try lowering them?

9. elvis

What amp and settings are you using?

Boogie likes this.
  10. amit

amit New Member

i sent the guitar to setup 2 weeks ago but it didnt change anything in the pickups. the 85/15 are just little bit thin and very dry. they sound awesome but dont seem to fit my playing style. they just lack something.. considered the dimarzio 36h ann.. any opinions?

11. amit

amit New Member

me
    sa boogie mark v 25 with eq set to 12 oclock plus minus. i have a good sound but im sure other pickups will give me better structure to start with..

12. Ovibos

Ovibos No, YOU'RE a New Member!

Setup may not solve that for you; it's a sound taste thing. Setup is gonna give you the playability you ask for.

13. Screamingdaisy

In fairness, PAF type pickups are generally kind of weak and bright sounding relative to a high output pickup. You can make all the adjustments you want to it, at the end of the day it still sounds like a PAF type pickup.

I know some people believe you can boost a PAF with an overdrive to give it more output and mids, but it's not the same as a hot pickup. Totally different animal.

14. elvis

I disagree with daisy on this one. Lower output pickups tend to be more full range with additional character and clarity. High output pickups are constrained in frequency to avoid flub, so they tend to sound thin when you're not in heavy overdrive. In my experience, a medium output pickup with great character like a 58/15 sounds great clean and with moderate drive, adding a boost that can tighten the lows and push the amp gives excellent results for high gain.

Petrucci and lukather both have boost built into their Sig guitars.

15. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

I think you’re both saying something similar, with minor exception. Ultimately, if the target music style is heavy, and you have an amp rig dialed exactly as you like it with other guitars, you’d better continue to buy guitars - or pickups - with similar character. Anything else will possibly not work with your amp gain staging and EQ, meaning you’ll have to completely change the setup. Optimize the rest of the rig for the guitar or optimize the guitar for the rest of the rig. I’ve not found a way to have both.

16. elvis

That's another point as well, though I use a pretty good variety of pickups. Compression helps a lot with level equalization. If you're really particular about matching guitars, worth considering boogie's point.

I will agree with daisy that a "vintage" or underwound pickup is not a very good place to start. Boost can only do so much. But I'm not a fan of very.high output pickups in general. I like stuff like 58/15, cold sweat, evo, 57/08.