7 lbs and under?

My 594 is 7.3 lbs. I have a bad back also so I was looking for a light one. Most good PRS dealer web sites will have the weight of the individual guitars listed you just have to keep shopping around till you find one.

I think I might have finally figured this photo insert thing out. Only took me a few months...

:-/

afz5Zf9.jpg
Could you share how to insert photos, still haven't figured it out.

In general, perhaps - but Emil makes the hollow body work for metal.

Yep, that's why I said "may" not work, it can be done, just not optimum and a little harder to control in live situations.

When I play my HB with my Recto with a bit of distortion, the thing can feedback like a 9 headed Medusa if you aren't used to it. You can even use it (feedback) to great effect if you get the hang of positioning yourself in proximity to the amp, but then you're dipping into Hendrixland. Over time I got a decent grip on it, but for a more modern Metal thing solid is the way to go.

..and yea, Emil does a ton with it.

Whelp, I'm very sensitive to a guitar's weight over the course of a night as well, and have several <7 lb. PRSs as a result... My most recent was my CE24 Reclaimed Limited at about 6 lb. 7 oz.... my Miras, Vela and Starla are all < 7 lbs each as well (and there's a lot of hardware on the Starla!)... of course, my Hollowbody II is less than 6 lbs, and a Hollowbody is probably your best bet for the lightest weight possible... Other than that, my Sunburst 22, SC245, McCarty and 25th Anni Custom 24 are all less than 7.5 lbs, but it's almost impossible to find these models under 7 ime... I actually own a postal scale and take it with me to weigh the guitar if the dealer or individual I'm buying from doesn't have an accurate scale handy; I find it can be hard to judge weights accurately by hand, especially if I'm excited by a particular instrument, so the scale keeps me honest; my aging lower back cannot handle me bouncing around for two or three sets with anything over about 7.5 lbs on my shoulder...

Whelp, I'm very sensitive to a guitar's weight over the course of a night as well, and have several <7 lb. PRSs as a result... My most recent was my CE24 Reclaimed Limited at about 6 lb. 7 oz.... my Miras, Vela and Starla are all < 7 lbs each as well (and there's a lot of hardware on the Starla!)... of course, my Hollowbody II is less than 6 lbs, and a Hollowbody is probably your best bet for the lightest weight possible... Other than that, my Sunburst 22, SC245, McCarty and 25th Anni Custom 24 are all less than 7.5 lbs, but it's almost impossible to find these models under 7 ime... I actually own a postal scale and take it with me to weigh the guitar if the dealer or individual I'm buying from doesn't have an accurate scale handy; I find it can be hard to judge weights accurately by hand, especially if I'm excited by a particular instrument, so the scale keeps me honest; my aging lower back cannot handle me bouncing around for two or three sets with anything over about 7.5 lbs on my shoulder...

Taking a scale is a good idea. I hadnt thought of that...

The lightest PRS I’ve ever owned was a KL1812 at 5.5lbs.

My Vela was well under 7.

My Core Starla, which, unlike those two, I still have - weighs bang on 7lbs - not an ounce more - and it has a Bigsby *and* a solid IRW neck. If you can work out how that’s remotely possible I’m up for suggestions because on paper it makes no sense.

My Custom 24 is just under 7lbs. It's amazing, I bought it last year. My old '00 CU22 is also right at 7lbs. They're out there. I just saw a CU24 recently on eBay that is listed at 7lbs 4oz.

Actually a hollowbody is VERY capable of pulling off Metal...

...look up some of Emil Wersler's older video on YouTube; he used to thrash on a Spruce top'd HB PRS.

I didn't know who Emil Werstler was until I bought my Hollowbody Spruce and started researching players, etc. I can't believe what he does with gain and distortion with that guitar. He also plays a lot of jazz licks when he's demoing amps and stuff with it, and his JamPlay lessons really show the versatility of the Hollowbody.

Just ordered his "Avalanche of Worms" album...

I just got my first PRS, an SE Zach Myers used and am very happy that it weighs in at 6lb 7oz. If your buying new, you can try Sweetwater, when you pick a guitar of which they have multiple in stock you can select to choose among them. When you do that you see them side by side and it also gives you the weight of each model.

I got lucky, I was looking for a lighter guitar too, my Strat is just over 7lbs where my Les Paul is about 9. My gamble with the ZM paid off, it's noticeably lighter than any of my other guitars. Very happy with it.

I just got my first PRS, an SE Zach Myers used and am very happy that it weighs in at 6lb 7oz. If your buying new, you can try Sweetwater, when you pick a guitar of which they have multiple in stock you can select to choose among them. When you do that you see them side by side and it also gives you the weight of each model.

I got lucky, I was looking for a lighter guitar too, my Strat is just over 7lbs where my Les Paul is about 9. My gamble with the ZM paid off, it's noticeably lighter than any of my other guitars. Very happy with it.

Cool. I knew that Sweetwater listed the weights for individual guitars but I didnt know you could choose like that if they had multiples in stock. Thats really cool. Thanks!

You are lucky to have a strat so lightweight. All of mine were heavy. I've been checking with dealers but it seems like all the PRS guitars I like are around 8 lbs. I might wait to see what the 2018 line up has to offer...

Cool. I knew that Sweetwater listed the weights for individual guitars but I didnt know you could choose like that if they had multiples in stock. Thats really cool. Thanks!

You are lucky to have a strat so lightweight. All of mine were heavy. I've been checking with dealers but it seems like all the PRS guitars I like are around 8 lbs. I might wait to see what the 2018 line up has to offer...

The entire 2018 lineup has been announced now - not much new in Core. No doubt they are holding some stuff back for NAMM though...

My 2016 McCarty weighs 6.4 lbs. It's wonderfully light, acoustically loud/bright, and perfect for couch picking too.

Sweetwater has some semi hollow custom 24s that are sub 7 pounds.

Back