594 neck size/shape

Isaac cruz

I'm interested in a 594 SC and was wondering about the neck, since I heard that it was on the chunky side. I usually prefer very slim necks, although I've tried this year's SC SE's neck and liked it. Not sure how the 594 would compare. I've had bad experiences with other fat necks from a popular U.S. guitar brand and this has put me off fat necks for a long time.

Check out the Pattern Vintage specs here:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/neckprofiles.html

Here's a visual comparison:

u8oOM34.jpg

I had an R8 and the 594 is not close to the baseball bat that R8 had. It's been said around here before, the 594 neck just feels so right. Like an old glove that you've had for years. It just seems to fit, perfectly.

The 594 has an odd neck taper that is thicker on the bass side and thinner on the treble side.

PRS has reasonably chunky necks, but I managed to switch from ibanez wizards to PRS with no physical or psychological damage.

You can always try the Tremonti. It has the thin profile.

Neck thickness is partly about comfort, partly about tone. Even with the asymmetrical carve, the neck is fairly chunky compared to the Pattern Thin or Pattern Regular.

You really ought to play one before buying. It might even be worth a drive, if that’s what you have to do to find out. Because neck feel is 100% personal and subjective.

The 594’s Pattern Vintage, and the CU24’s Pattern Regular have been my favorites over about a quarter century of PRS playing, but I don’t care for thin necks. I like them on the chunky side.

Check out the Pattern Vintage specs here:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/neckprofiles.html

Here's a visual comparison:

u8oOM34.jpg

I had an R8 and the 594 is not close to the baseball bat that R8 had. It's been said around here before, the 594 neck just feels so right. Like an old glove that you've had for years. It just seems to fit, perfectly.

In this picture the PV looks just a bit bigger than the pattern (which I love), but when I try a 594 I feel it quite a bit bigger. In fact, it's a strange balance for me, I feel it perfect for a singlecut but too big for a McCarty shaped guitar. The balance McCarty-Pattern feels more... correct.

I think you may have to get your hands on one to be sure...

Personally, I love all Pattern necks, despise all Pattern Thin necks, and like some of the Pattern Regular necks. The old Standard neck was 100% perfect for my hand.

Strangely enough, I've found that I love all maple Pattern Regulars (DC3, etc) and I cant stand mahogany Pattern Regulars (S2 Custom 24, etc). I've handled a few 594s and they all felt good to me. If I recall, they felt similar to the Pattern shape just with more 'C' than 'U' or 'V' in the curve ... or something like that.

None of the PRS neck carves are really SUPER Big the 513 and the Pattern Vintage being the largest feeling to me.
The biggest difference is 1/32 of an inch

I'm not usually a big fan of fat neck shapes, but I will say that I loved the neck of the 594. And I usually prefer a thinner neck.

Back