594 Hog Neck vs. Maple

PeterK

Any thoughts or recommendations? Obviously mahogany will be more traditional but I'm curious as to how a maple neck sounds on this guitar...I've played a few with maple necks but I would love to hear other opinions :)

I've had both 594 mahogany, and the 594 with a flame maple, extremely subtle to almost no difference, the maple neck might possibly have slightly more clear string attack, but it could also depend upon what fretboard or what Rosewood piece you end up with, I went and played a custom 24 versus a CE 24, in guitar Center before I purchased the maple neck 594, I had a hard time telling the guitars apart. I really did like the CE 24 as well.
extremely pleased with my maple neck 594, I like a slightly brighter guitar and slightly more string attack, but I would guess you can get the same identical sound with either guitar with the slightest turn of a treble EQ knob. I think others have suggested the same thing whichever piece of wood is more pleasing to your eye is more important than the tonal differences.

here's my gorgeous neck
xM82gFZ.jpg

I have both variants. STILL loving my satin maple neck with ebony board!

Kevin

Necks: I prefer maple to mahogany. Not for its sound, but for strength. Yes I have damaged a neck before. Though my luthier warned me that maple breakages are much more difficult to repair. Mahogany is still easier. I do think there is a difference in sound between the woods, but its a very small difference IMO.

Fingerboard: My oldest ebony fretboard is 46 years old and still displays no wear at all. I have had several maple boards, but am not keen on the heavy lacquer sealant that comes with it. I have one guitar with heat treated maple (torrefied) so no need to seal it. This feels as good as ebony.

Rosewood: unfortunately my unschooled technique tends to wear rosewood down. It takes me about 20 years to wear out such a board completely.

I have both; there are subtle differences, mainly with the neck pickup. Both are great.

Tell us more about the impact on the neck pick up!

It’s subtly more scooped sounding, just a tiny bit more The Wind Cries Mary when played clean, especially with the pickup split, but also noticeable to a degree in full humbucker mode.

I’ll emphasize the word subtly. I’m not saying it sounds like a Strat. But the maple neck does matter.

I've had both 594 mahogany, and the 594 with a flame maple, extremely subtle to almost no difference, the maple neck might possibly have slightly more clear string attack, but it could also depend upon what fretboard or what Rosewood piece you end up with, I went and played a custom 24 versus a CE 24, in guitar Center before I purchased the maple neck 594, I had a hard time telling the guitars apart. I really did like the CE 24 as well.
extremely pleased with my maple neck 594, I like a slightly brighter guitar and slightly more string attack, but I would guess you can get the same identical sound with either guitar with the slightest turn of a treble EQ knob. I think others have suggested the same thing whichever piece of wood is more pleasing to your eye is more important than the tonal differences.

here's my gorgeous neck
xM82gFZ.jpg

That looks amazing.

Back