59/09 pup ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helmi, Jun 30, 2017.

1. helmi

helmi single&swampy

I've had 59/09 UN-covered pups before, but never covered. thinking about a set of covered. can anyone who's heard both tell me the tone differance's.

2. vchizzle

vchizzle Birdman.

I've only had uncovered as well. I'd imagine it's about the same as other pickups though. Slightly less open and a tad more subdued? That may sound negative to the covered pickup fans...so maybe a touch warmer with little of the high end attack rolled off?

helmi likes this.
  3. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

Coral Sky Music was great to deal with when I was wanting a covered 59/09 treble p/u (they're also the only place to get them new with covers). I put it in my Satin 22 S2, and had a couple of other pickups covered and uncovered in that guitar, and don't feel that the covers made a huge difference, although I didn't specifically A/B a covered vs uncovered 59:09.

helmi likes this.
  4. Stoptail22

Stoptail22 Infected with PRS

I have both sets, and they really sound different, not huge, but different. To illustrate that, here are the DC values of my sets:

covered 59/09: 8,23 kOhm resp. 9,26 kOhm
    uncovered 59/09: 8,07 kOhm resp. 9,55 kOhm

helmi likes this.
  5. helmi

helmi single&swampy

6. Stoptail22

Stoptail22 Infected with PRS

Inspired by your question, i grabbed the guitars with the different 59/09 sets to listen for audible differences regardless of any technical issues. I must tell you that the covered set sounds brighter than the uncovered one.

Too bright for my ears, so I lowered the pole pieces (one full turn) and now i'm happy with it. @helmi, thank you for pointing me to that issue.

helmi likes this.
  7. helmi

helmi single&swampy

your welcome. glad I could inspire someone, instead of frustrating them.