59/09 pickup install help/opinions

RocknPop

I'm considering buying a pair of 59/09s to install in me CE22 (either the all hog or the maple capped). That way I have a CE22 and something close to a Custom.

Questions:
- Can I do this? Will I still have the split coils?
- what's the biggest difference in to between the Dragon II and the 59/09s?
- how much would it be to have PRS do this?
- is $300 a fair price for the pair?
- what would you do?

-Yes, you can. You should have split coils as long the pickup has the wiring(if they came out of a custom 24 you should be good). Check with the seller to find out how many wires they have. If they can email pics, that's best.
-Dragon II is more modern, hotter, and much easier to get for a reasonable price ;)
-It's not exactly cheap to have PRS do it, shipping your guitar there...email PTC and ask. If you have the means and no-how, do it yourself.
-$300 is a great price.

As vchizzle stated, if the pickups have the correct wiring they will work. I've seen pickups wired 2 different ways that you can utilize the coil split option. The PRS pickup wiring I've seen has a single conductor braided wire (braided shield is your ground) and an additional coated single conductor wire. This additional wire is used as your coil split. It connects to either your pull/push pot or double throw mini toggle switch. Your guitar should have one or the other, but not both.

The other type or eire I've seen is a 4 conductor wire. You have a hot, a ground and the other 2 wires are twisted together and used as you coil split connection. If you go to the PRS website, there are schematics that show how to wire each way. You probably have the 2 wire situation, since they are PRS pickups.

Wire everything yourself. It really isn't too difficult. Imo, the most difficult solder joint is connecting the shield to the pot. That joint requires more solder to make a good connection. Just make sure you heat the pot & wire fairly well, so the solder will melt and bond well.

Back