58/15 pickups

I'm pretty sure the only difference between 5815 and 8515 is the cover. Obviously, LT will be a lower output but I would think it would retain most of the characteristics of the non LT version.

I believe the theory is the more turns you have, the more you filter out the highs & mid-highs. Lower turns should result in more definition & clarity on the high end, without sounding shrill. More like a single coil.

Actually I'm wishing the 85/15's were available outside of PS. If my '13 SE doesn't sell, I wouldn't mind putting a set in it, if I could get 'em. Man, that would make an awesome pair of SE's!
Just get Semour Duncan to produce them for you cheap too easy

Interesting list, Pete!

Here's my own ranking of my favorite PRS pickups since 1991 after owning a bunch of PRSes.

1. 57/08 version that's in my McCarty Singlecut. I've been told it's different from most in some way. Perfect for this guitar and an easy pickup to work with to get some favorite tones.

Re your ranking of the 57/08 in the McCarty Singlecut as #1, I said re the 57/08's "In fairness to them, I have a had a couple of sets that were off the charts awesome" - the best sets I had were in the "Shootout McCarty" back in 2010, and the ones in the 3 McCarty Singlecuts I had. I am convinced that the ones in the Shootout McCarty's had a special wind, as Kingsley, BostonGuitar and John Mann and I got together and played 4 of those at once, all were amazing. And the 3 McCarty Singlecuts were great, by then (2014) I think the spec had evolved on those to a really good place.

I didn't care for them as much in the 5708 Limited guitars and the 2009 Ted McCarty DC's and SC's, they seemed a little underpowered at the time, and I didn't seem to be the only one that felt that way...

I didn't care for them as much in the 5708 Limited guitars and the 2009 Ted McCarty DC's and SC's, they seemed a little underpowered at the time, and I didn't seem to be the only one that felt that way...

I had them in a Stripped 58, an SC245, and a CU22 Semi-hollow Ltd. I loved the way those guitars sounded - should've mentioned that - but the McSC is my fave (and that may simply be due to the rest of the guitar, too).

The 57/08 is a little thicker than the 58/15 in the lower mids. I like that. But I also like the 58/15 for what it does. It's good for me to have both.

I had them in a Stripped 58, an SC245, and a CU22 Semi-hollow Ltd. I loved the way those guitars sounded - should've mentioned that - but the McSC is my fave (and that may simply be due to the rest of the guitar, too).

The 57/08 is a little thicker than the 58/15 in the lower mids. I like that. But I also like the 58/15 for what it does. It's good for me to have both.
Hi thank you this is on a model i am looking to buy a hollowbody 11 with piaza new2016 do you know anthing about this model as its just the verstility thats apealing to me and of course a prs

Hi thank you this is on a model i am looking to buy a hollowbody 11 with piaza new2016 do you know anthing about this model as its just the verstility thats apealing to me and of course a prs

Dude, just buy one and don't worry about it. They're great.

They're not as common as PRS solid body guitars, but there aren't problems with them at all.

By the way, it's a Hollowbody II (Roman numeral 2), not an eleven.

They're not as common as PRS solid body guitars, but there aren't problems with them at all.

Hi Thank you as an englishman i should have known the roman numeral i put down once 2 and some though i was refering to the 12 string model lol the thought of a 2 in one guitar is perfect for my style of song writing ballad rock thank you

This guitar which should arrive in a day or so has two 58/15 LT (low turn) pick-ups. There is little written about the 58/15 to-date. From the info out there these are supposed to be as close to a '58 Les Paul PAF as you can get, particularly since there never was a specific wire length given to the vintage PAF pups. Of course PRS has computerized the wire length & number of coils.

Hello,

I recently put a pair of the LTs in a McCarty with Brazilan Rosewood neck and it literally changed everything about the tone of that guitar. After fondling a McCarty 594 at Dave's and being blown away by the clarity (but annoyed by the multiple knobs that I kept running into), I decided that those pups might be the cure for my McCarty's slight muddiness.

Let me tell you, my McCarty now literally sings. Those LTs made all the difference. It might not be able to cut through a mix with a LP or a Strat on neck position, but it sings like no other guitar in my small collection. Its also very very nice overdriven.

If I ever get to the point where I can play well, and I had to play different songs that call for different sounds or play in a band with more than one guitarist, I'd be more inclined to use my 513 or my Korina McCarty (which now has the 57/08 that I pulled from the Brazilian one in its neck and an old DGT in its bridge) than this one with the LTs. The Korina is very boomy and big sounding. Otherwise I'd be worried that the LTs beautiful singing voice might get overpowered in a mix.

Back