58/15 pickups

Drag! Please, Do tell. I was bummed back in October to find some of what I wanted simply could not be done. Saving $$ to make another run. A bummer if there is more changes.

I don't think there are broad changes, but a couple of my favorite options are now off the table. One of my favorite inlay materials has been discontinued and my favorite neck material is reserved for other projects :(

Funny, I have the mammoth ivory inlays on my McCarty Singlecut, and honestly, if I hadn't been told they were mammoth ivory I'd have guessed they were Corian or something similar.

I know, I do not deserve this guitar in so many ways! ;)

I don't think there are broad changes, but a couple of my favorite options are now off the table. One of my favorite inlay materials has been discontinued and my favorite neck material is reserved for other projects :(

I find this to be a bit odd. I thought the whole point of the PS line is to offer the customer the chance to customize their guitar in any and every way possible, with whatever materials are legal to utilize, as long as the customer was going to pay. So if I wanted bird inlays of solid diamond, I could get that - I might pay extraordinary fees for getting bird-shaped diamonds, but that would still be possible.

If mammoth ivory (for example) is still available as a legal material, why not still offer it, just hike the price if that is the issue? Sure, if something has been added to CITES, or stocks are depleted due to lack of availability (mammoths aren't technically endangered, but I bet there is a finite amount of ivory available from them!), then I could understand it.

So I'm guessing it is a material-availability wall they are hitting?

So I'm guessing it is a material-availability wall they are hitting?

That'd be my guess, too. Pernambuco in particular is very difficult to get, I'm told, and I'd guess that the supply of mammoth ivory is also up and down, mammoths having been extinct for 10,000 years or so.

As I understand it, the mammoth ivory is literally found on the ground by nomads in the Gobi Desert, and it's possible that a lot of factors play into availability.

That'd be my guess, too. Pernambuco in particular is very difficult to get, I'm told, and I'd guess that the supply of mammoth ivory is also up and down, mammoths having been extinct for 10,000 years or so.

As I understand it, the mammoth ivory is literally found on the ground by nomads in the Gobi Desert, and it's possible that a lot of factors play into availability.

My impression is actually that it has more to do with the fact or perception that mammoth ivory may be difficult to distinguish from other types of illegally harvested ivory.

M.I. Isn't always that easy to find. I saw a documentary were the native hunters were gone for up to six months to dig the stuff out of the rocks and then drag the haul back.

Mammoth Ivory is also from Alaska and is at least 10,000 years old and could just as easily be 50,000 years old. I've used it for some of my scrimshaw projects and it can be bought from Boone Trading Company in Brinnon, Washington. Large tusks and chunks may not be available, but scrap pieces large enough to make inlays out of are readily available. Don't know if whoever does that for PRS has or has not made use of them, but it's there.

I love the stuff.

I own 8 guitars, but fantasized about owning a PRS. First it was a 408, then a "Paul's", then it was all about the wood, and how far I wanted to go with that. I did a lot of dreaming & a ton of research on PRS, and then visited the factory in May. The tour was awesome. The guitars bodies hanging - priceless! The PRS website & Paul throw around a lot of buzz words we all want to hear. I had GAS, like all of us, but I was looking for custom. I wanted "my neck" like the 2 customs I already own for my short fingers. I didn't want jumbo fret wires or all that mahogany showing with the color blue on the body, neck or bouts. But alas I was advised that was "CUSTOM" (Private Stock) don't you know! The price spiraling for just three changes. After visiting the factory, ..... I came to the conclusion, short of Private Stock, they're beautiful, high quality, spec guitars. I walked away. But there is a follow-up. I just bought one. Not a 408 & not a Paul's. It's a Custom 24, with unique appointments all around.

I put a set of 8515s in my Mccarty and they are fantastic. I would say if you like 5909s then you should love the 8515s. I could refer yo them as enhanced 5909s.

I also have 5310s and the bridge pickup is brighter sounding than 8515s. Both are great pickups.

I put a set of 8515s in my Mccarty and they are fantastic. I would say if you like 5909s then you should love the 8515s. I could refer yo them as enhanced 5909s.

I also have 5310s and the bridge pickup is brighter sounding than 8515s. Both are great pickups.

Thanks gush. Here is my issue. My purchase is, for lack of a better word, a unique 2017 Custom 24. It was an MSL spec'd purchase on one of their visits to the factory. The 85/15 is a 2015 update of Paul's original pup. This guitar which should arrive in a day or so has two 58/15 LT (low turn) pick-ups. There is little written about the 58/15 to-date. From the info out there these are supposed to be as close to a '58 Les Paul PAF as you can get, particularly since there never was a specific wire length given to the vintage PAF pups. Of course PRS has computerized the wire length & number of coils. (I have the "Tuxedo" Epi Les Paul, with coil taps but embarrased to say I haven't done the research on them to know their specs. The Epi has been a heavy, pretty paint grade back-up at gigs every once in a while). I'm gonna just have to play it!

Thanks gush. Here is my issue. My purchase is, for lack of a better word, a unique 2017 Custom 24. It was an MSL spec'd purchase on one of their visits to the factory. The 85/15 is a 2015 update of Paul's original pup. This guitar which should arrive in a day or so has two 58/15 LT (low turn) pick-ups. There is little written about the 58/15 to-date. From the info out there these are supposed to be as close to a '58 Les Paul PAF as you can get, particularly since there never was a specific wire length given to the vintage PAF pups. Of course PRS has computerized the wire length & number of coils. (I have the "Tuxedo" Epi Les Paul, with coil taps but embarrased to say I haven't done the research on them to know their specs. The Epi has been a heavy, pretty paint grade back-up at gigs every once in a while). I'm gonna just have to play it!

When you say 8515 is an update to his original pickup, which original pickup are you referring too?

I'm pretty sure the only difference between 5815 and 8515 is the cover. Obviously, LT will be a lower output but I would think it would retain most of the characteristics of the non LT version.

If I were in your shoes, I would be stoked to get such an incredible instrument. My guess is five minutes into it, you will be blown away. If not, I'll take your LTs.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between 5815 and 8515 is the cover. Obviously, LT will be a lower output but I would think it would retain most of the characteristics of the non LT version.

This is true. The regular 58's are covered version of the 85. The LT's have Lower Turns and both the neck and bridge pick ups are the same with respect to resistance.

PRS makes a big point that there is more of a difference than the cover. Could be different charging or windings as well. From what I have read about the 58/15s, I have a hard time buying that the only difference is the cover. I am getting used to my 58/15s for rock, but they are quite complex, not the tight shredders that I imagine the 85/15s to be.

I was going to replace the 85/15s in my P245, but now I am keeping them. I still have a SC with Cold Sweats, so why make them identical?

I'd love to try 85/15s side by side with Cold Sweats.

58/15's are currently my favorite PRS pickup, and I have tried many many examples of them all. ;)

My Avatar PS SC 594 has a 58/15 in the Bridge and a 58/15 LT in the neck, and it sounds PERFECT!!

The 58/15 LT Bridge is great too. In the beefier SC body I have found that one to be great, but still I like the slightly higher output 58/15 in the Bridge position. (I think like 8.5-8.6K versus 7.8K, which other things like the magnets and wire type being the same?) In the DC 594's, on many of those that I owned, I felt they were underpowered and replaced them with something hotter.

53/10's are tough to come by. I finally scored a set from Japan earlier this year, and they are in my beloved SC 594 Prototype right now, they sound great as well.

I dug 59/09's for many years, awesome slightly higher output PAF's, 9.0 to 9.5 in the bridge, but while they are super clear, they don't have the chime and clarity that the 58/15 LT's and 58/15's have.

I am tainted against 57/08's because they have varied soooooooooo much over the years. They are like the Magic 8 Ball of PRS pickups, you get a markedly differently result each time. :) I would bet that is not the case anymore, I should try a "Modern" set. In fairness to them, I have a had a couple of sets that were off the charts awesome.

If I were to rank them today, I would rank them like this:

1. 58/15
2. 53/10 (possibly outranking #3 by the psychological Unobtanium Factor!)
3. 58/15 LT
4. 57/08
5. 59/09

...mostly by my preference in the bridge, where I spend 80% of the time. I go for classic rock gain and crunch tones mostly, plus some clean to crunchy blues tones. My priority and context 2009-2014 was playing out with a classic rock cover band, 2015 to current I am just playing at home annoying my family and neighbors. ;)

A couple more comments:
-Yes, the 85/15 is supposedly identical to the 58/15, but uncovered.
-The 5310 Neck is to die for.
-I don't think there is much difference between a 58/15 LT (which as we know is the same pickup for Bridge and Neck) and a 58/15 Neck - I would bet the former is an evolution of the latter!
-The 58/15 LT is INCREDIBLE in a Semi-Hollow PRS. Was awesome in my PS DC 594 SH with no F-Hole, and is equally stellar in my current PS SC 594 SH with an F-Hole. The Semi-Hollowness really brings those LT's to life, off the charts tones with that combination!! (Note the only other PRS Guitar model beyond the 594's with the LT's stock in the Core models are the Hollowbodies, and the PS Archtops have them as well, so PRS seems to agree...)

My two cents, from a guy who has owned exactly 100 PRSi over the last 10 years, over half of them Ted's and 594's, so 50+ guitars with 57/08's, 59/09's (the Bridge Pickup for the Willcutt Guitars WL Ted's) and 58/15 LT's, with a few sets of 58/15's and 53/10's thrown in there for good measure... :)

Interesting list, Pete!

Here's my own ranking of my favorite PRS pickups since 1991 after owning a bunch of PRSes.

1. 57/08 version that's in my McCarty Singlecut. I've been told it's different from most in some way. Perfect for this guitar and an easy pickup to work with to get some favorite tones.

2. Narrow 408/Narrowfield Middle combination - does it all.

3. 85/15 - beautiful sounding pickup with plenty of bite.

4. Artist V - clear and open, very articulate.

5. 53/10 - warm and clear, with a round attack, especially great on the neck pickup.

6. 58/15 - sounds great, versatile, especially like the coil splits.

This is kind of a picky ranking, because I actually LOVE all of the above pickups. I just find some a little more to my taste.

When you say 8515 is an update to his original pickup, which original pickup are you referring too?

If I were in your shoes, I would be stoked to get such an incredible instrument. My guess is five minutes into it, you will be blown away. If not, I'll take your LTs.

What I read was that the 8515 was a PRS 2015 update to the 1st PRS pups (originals) Paul took to NAMM the 1st time he showed up as a guitar maker in 1985.

The 58/15 were described in the same article as PRS trying to re-make vintage '58 Gibson Les Paul PAF's, using the same wire. That being said & trying to follow some of the other comments here, the inference would be that Paul copied Gibson back in 1985. Blasphemy? HMMMM!

Interesting list, Pete!

Here's my own ranking of my favorite PRS pickups since 1991 after owning a bunch of PRSes.

1. 57/08 version that's in my McCarty Singlecut. I've been told it's different from most in some way. Perfect for this guitar and an easy pickup to work with to get some favorite tones.

2. Narrow 408/Narrowfield Middle combination - does it all.

3. 85/15 - beautiful sounding pickup with plenty of bite.

4. Artist V - clear and open, very articulate.

5. 53/10 - warm and clear, with a round attack, especially great on the neck pickup.

6. 58/15 - sounds great, versatile, especially like the coil splits.

This is kind of a picky ranking, because I actually LOVE all of the above pickups. I just find some a little more to my taste.

More encouragement! Thx! I'm feeling pretty good about changing my mind & buying this guitar. Felt impulsive & .....really good.

This is true. The regular 58's are covered version of the 85. The LT's have Lower Turns and both the neck and bridge pick ups are the same with respect to resistance.

You could be right, it's something that Paul would do - more voodoo; give it a different & mysterious number! If you name it, they will buy (and post adnosium, trying to figure it out). Thx for the feedback. Just seems strange & yet too simple.

Back