58/15 pickups

CatStrangler

PRS Enthusiast
What's the scoop? Having been recently informed of the unavailability of 53/10's even for a PS order, these have been suggested to me as an alternative. Anyone have a chance to try 'em out? What do you think?

If memory serves, MA Pete has played them, and has ordered them for a Private Stock McCarty Singlecut. I don't know if he has the guitar yet, but he seemed very impressed with them at the time.

As I understand it, they're covered versions of the 85/15s, and in an interview with the British mag Guitarist, Paul said they're less bright as you'd expect with a covered pickup. On my Custom 24 30th (equipped with 85/15s, not 58/15s), they are very clear sounding, open pickups, very articulate, but also different from the 57/08 and 59/09. They also have more "cut" than the 53/10, which is a very warm and round pickup that some people might think of as dark (though I do not, I had 53/10s on my SC58 and thought they sounded superb - I think the 'dark' moniker came because their attack is rounder than the sharper attack of the 5x/0x pickups).

Actually I'm wishing the 85/15's were available outside of PS. If my '13 SE doesn't sell, I wouldn't mind putting a set in it, if I could get 'em. Man, that would make an awesome pair of SE's!

Actually I'm wishing the 85/15's were available outside of PS. If my '13 SE doesn't sell, I wouldn't mind putting a set in it, if I could get 'em. Man, that would make an awesome pair of SE's!

They may show up on the used market eventually with the 30th anniversay custom 24s having them... Probably cost 3x what the SE is worth though...

They may show up on the used market eventually with the 30th anniversay custom 24s having them... Probably cost 3x what the SE is worth though...

Yeah, that's the way these things go sometimes. Glum.

OTOH, IF... I would probably never let it go. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. Everybody now, happy thoughts!

A recent video had Paul Smith describing them. Something along the lines of "if we knew then what we know now about making pickups, these would have been in the early guitars."

I have no hesitation changing out pickups on any guitar. If I don't like thr pup I won't play the guitar. This is why I've put Bare Knuckles in a bunch of my guitars. On the subject of the 85/15-58/15's being availible on the market, I wouldn't expect to see many. This PRS pup is a home run. If they don't sell then in the PRS store I don't think many people will be unhappy enough to swap out the 85/15's

I have no hesitation changing out pickups on any guitar. If I don't like thr pup I won't play the guitar. This is why I've put Bare Knuckles in a bunch of my guitars. On the subject of the 85/15-58/15's being availible on the market, I wouldn't expect to see many. This PRS pup is a home run. If they don't sell then in the PRS store I don't think many people will be unhappy enough to swap out the 85/15's

I agree, they're a home run for sure.

The 58/15 come in the new SC245 and sound amazing. They are very open and clear and we love them in my store. Never tried 53/10, but do have two sets stashed, from the time that PRS did sell them. An also agre the 85/15 are great pickups, Paul's research has really paid off.

I just installed a set in my CE-24, converted it to a 3-way with push pull, and gave it a complete setup.... I am too damn tired to play it now, but it is perfect and I will run them through their paces tomorrow for sure! I'll report back once I have jammed on them a bit....

God I love this ****.... :)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will likely feel comfortable going with the 58/15's. Otherwise I may do some 408's on this project. There are some other changes at the PS department with regards to wood and inlay options that I am also thinking about workarounds for.

What's the scoop? Having been recently informed of the unavailability of 53/10's even for a PS order, these have been suggested to me as an alternative. Anyone have a chance to try 'em out? What do you think?

Do you mean 85/15's?

I kind of had that impression, but wasn't sure. I'm probably gonna take the leap with them for this particular instrument. I can see some potential advantages over the other offerings.

There are some other changes at the PS department with regards to wood and inlay options that I am also thinking about workarounds for.

Not to take this too far OT but I'm wondering about this...! What's happening?

Back