57/08 vs 58/15LT in Special

andy009

Would the 57/08 PUs perform as well as the 58/15LT in a PRS Special? Work the same as well splitting as the 58/15LT?

Would the 57/08 PUs perform as well as the 58/15LT in a PRS Special? Work the same as well splitting as the 58/15LT?
I took the 58/15 LT pickups out of my 594 and replaced them with 57/08 pickups and like them much better. I didn't like how much lower the output was on the 58/15 LT pickups was when switching guitars at gigs. It made my drives sound different and the volume was lower. The 57/08s I put in it were bought from the PRS accessories store and are the hotter newer version of the pickups. They have more punch than my other guitars with 57/08s in them so if you decide to make the switch, be prepared for that. It is a noticeable difference.

Thank you. Yes these would be the new 57/08 version. Would they still be as good split in the Special like the 58/15LTs?

I'd prefer the 5708, especially the bridge..in the neck either or is good with me. Split is good with both. I may slightly favor the LT split in the neck.

Thanks, I thought the 57/08s would be a downgrade from the 58/15LTs, but it sounds like that might not be the case then in a Special?

FWIW, I actually like both sets about equally the same, for they both can do some things the other cannot do. While the 57/08s are definitely hotter, the 58/15LTs tend to be cleaner with a bit more clarity, but both can be overdriven pretty well. I really don't believe that one is any more of an upgrade than the other, for it really depends on what you're looking for them to do.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

FWIW, I actually like both sets about equally the same, for they both can do some things the other cannot do. While the 57/08s are definitely hotter, the 58/15LTs tend to be cleaner with a bit more clarity, but both can be overdriven pretty well. I really don't believe that one is any more of an upgrade than the other, for it really depends on what you're looking for them to do.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!
I am looking for more rock vs jazz/clean tones, so perhaps the 57/08s would be a better bet in the Special?

I thought that the 57/08s that got the really great reviews were the originals? Am I mistaken?

Back