57/08 pickups now for sale from PRS Guitars

I'm sure it's my outdated Safari browser. Says it can't establish a secure connection. I gotta get off my a$$ & get some cleaning & upgrades done. Thanks for lookin' out, though.

Hi All,

I currently have a Ted SC with the 57/08's.

Does anyone know if the now-released 57/08 pickup could be used in an HSS 'S' style guitar where position 4 on a 5 way switch would be a combination of the middle single and one of the split hum coils?

Thanks!

I have 85/15's on my Private Stock.
Sounds like primary difference with these is that 57/08's are covered with output of the two very similar. I like em hot so hopefully gettin a little more push out of mine.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

So here's a strange question, possibly. My P24, made in 2014, supposedly has 57/08s, and they are uncovered. I have seen many references around the Interwebz of uncovered 57/08s.

These newly available 57/08s are covered.

Have they always been available in both covered and uncovered versions? Why only covered now?

So here's a strange question, possibly. My P24, made in 2014, supposedly has 57/08s, and they are uncovered. I have seen many references around the Interwebz of uncovered 57/08s.

Have they always been available in both covered and uncovered versions? Why only covered now?
Yes, there have been "uncovered" Squabbin versions. When the S2 series first came out, Guitar Center had a run of them done with squabbin 57/08s that cost around $200 more than the regular S2 guitars.

Regular bobbin 57/08 in the West St I just got. I didn't know they ever came uncovered.

Ultimately, I'm just very happy that they are available because they are among my favorite pickups, along side the 85/15's (LT or otherwise).

However, when they had an unobtainium status, I did go through a lot of trouble to get my hands on guitars that had them and pretty much went into hoarding mode out of concern that I'd never be able to get any more.

I currently own every version of the 57/08 pickup that I have ever heard of (4 versions). Covered Brushed Nickel, Covered Polished Nickel, Uncovered and Narrowfields

PRS-57-08s.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how the 57/08s wound sound in my Experience 2010 Cu24?

S.
j

I have 85/15's on my Private Stock.
Sounds like primary difference with these is that 57/08's are covered with output of the two very similar. I like em hot so hopefully gettin a little more push out of mine.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
The 85/15 are the uncovered versions of the 58/15, and indeed, they are very close the the uncovered and covered 57/08. I forget which is hotter, though. Probably pretty easy to look up if someone has the resistance chart handy...anyone?

I think part of the reason I like these pickups so much is because before they were invented I favored Alnico 2 low output wax potted pickups like the Seymour Duncan 59's or the Pearly Gates which have similarities to the Gibson 57 Classics. I currently have 59's and PG pickups in my non PRS guitars.

The 85/15 are the uncovered versions of the 58/15, and indeed, they are very close the the uncovered and covered 57/08. I forget which is hotter, though. Probably pretty easy to look up if someone has the resistance chart handy...anyone?
Settling in with these 85/15's pretty well, really like the tone especially thru my Wamplers, MXR, etc and also clean. Very cool.

Et voila, looks like 57/08s are slightly hotter:

Resistance charts for 57/08s here:

https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/whats-new/products/57-08-pickups

5708treble_chart_large.jpg

5708bass_chart_large.jpg

And 58/15 charts:

http://www.prsguitars.com/images/content_images/5815_treble_2017.png

http://www.prsguitars.com/images/content_images/5815_bass_2017.png

or:

5815_treble_2017.png

5815_bass_2017.png

I need a set of those 58/15s for my SC245. I love the 57/08s, but the 58/15s look like the exact eq I want/need.

Hopefully Paul will start selling them aftermarket.

Back