57/08 covered or uncovered?

Threepiece

Hi,

Kind of an extension of a previous post but figured it's its own subject. I bought some 57/08s I'll be putting in my S2 - hopefully Monday. Looked around and saw that they made a 'special edition' S2 with uncovered 57's. Anyone know why they went uncovered? Is there something deeply weird about the S2 that calls for uncovered 57's? ;-) I'm going to start with them as-is but figured I should ask since Paul & Co. thought uncovered was better. Thanks all!

The West St I bought has uncovered 57/08s according to the Modcat. I haven't pulled them to double check. I really, really like them in that particular guitar.

My P22 has uncovered 57/08s. While they sound good, they just aren't a awesome as all my covered 57/08s. I can't put it into words - there's just something different. In all honesty, it's why I barely play the P22....

The West St is basically an all hog guitar. Sapele top, which is commonly called African Mahogany, with a hog body, neck and Brazzy board. I like those uncovered 57/08s, in that guitar, more than the 57/08s in my Cu24. And I like those plenty!

The West St is basically an all hog guitar. Sapele top, which is commonly called African Mahogany, with a hog body, neck and Brazzy board. I like those uncovered 57/08s, in that guitar, more than the 57/08s in my Cu24. And I like those plenty!
Awesome man, thanks. Can you say more about the difference? My s2 is a basic c24 - hog plus maple top (I think). Don't know enough about wood to know how things compare. Just figured there must be a reason they shipped them uncovered.

My P22 has uncovered 57/08s. While they sound good, they just aren't a awesome as all my covered 57/08s. I can't put it into words - there's just something different. In all honesty, it's why I barely play the P22....
Thanks. I'm willing to bet someone around here might be interested in taking it off your hands - you know, since you don't play it ;-)

The West St is just more "mean" sounding. The Cu24 is great, and covers all kinds of ground, but the West St makes me grin. Just pure tone, imo.

I have 5708 squabbins in a ce24. I really liked them and I've had them in there for quite a while but I've grown tired of the bridge. I like the neck pickup especially with the volume rolled back a bit.

It's getting a 5909 bridge before out next gig.

The West St is just more "mean" sounding. The Cu24 is great, and covers all kinds of ground, but the West St makes me grin. Just pure tone, imo.
Oh crap...now you've got met thinking. Who doesn't want a 'mean' sounding , pure tone, guitar. :)

I feel just the opposite. The uncovered 57/08s in my P22 work great for me. I have a covered 57/08 in the bridge of my 594 and I'm thinking of changing it for a 59/09 or 85/15 squabbin. I just need a bit more "oomph".

Yeah, my wife thought it would be funny to get the collection in the color of the rainbow....

Last edited:
I feel just the opposite. The uncovered 57/08s in my P22 work great for me. I have a covered 57/08 in the bridge of my 594 and I'm thinking of changing it for a 59/09 or 85/15 squabbin. I just need a bit more "oomph".
Interesting. I the little poll that I ran on PRS pups (If PRS could only make one...) , the 85/15 didn't get a single vote (which surprised me because I hear lots of fans). 59/09 got a couple. Interestingly, on the 'oomph' side, the M got a couple of votes. The 508 narrow seems to be the winner - guessing it's the most versatile with great sound. So many different options and opinions. Damn, this stuff is fun. :)

Yeah, my wife thought it would be funny to get the collection in the color of the rainbow....

Aye Caramba! Gorgeous (and enviable) collection. Are they all core? I have 6 guitars as well and I'm guessing their combined value is less than one of yours ;-) Hard to tell (plus I don't know **** about wood) but are they all 10 tops?

I changed the picture to the one in proper ROYGBIV order. They are all Core or Artist Packages. The red one is a 10. So is the burst SC245, it's a quilt top. I think the red one is too. The yellow one is "just" a figured maple top. The green one is an Artist top. The blue one is an Artist Package, also has a Madagascar Ebony fretboard and head overlay. The purple one is a 10-top.

I changed the picture to the one in proper ROYGBIV order. They are all Core or Artist Packages. The red one is a 10. So is the burst SC245, it's a quilt top. I think the red one is too. The yellow one is "just" a figured maple top. The green one is an Artist top. The blue one is an Artist Package, also has a Madagascar Ebony fretboard and head overlay. The purple one is a 10-top.
Crazy cool - a killer collection.

So, I pinged the folks in tech support. Here is their (not particularly surprising) answer. Very cool they answered in like an hour. :)

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars. Removing the covers will add a little high end and volume to the pickups. Some people like the change, while others don’t. Personally I prefer covered pickups, but it is a matter of opinion.

Thank you for your continued support of PRS Guitars. I hope you find this information helpful

Shawn Nuthall

PRS Guitars

308 Log Canoe Circle

Stevensville, MD 21666

Customer and Technical Support Mgr.

Back