513 Pickup Noise

VirginiaAve

Hey,
New to the 513. Just got one today, maple top, mahogany neck.

I find it to be very noisy in both a Line 6 POD and an HX/DA 50W. Particularly in single coil mode. Nothing seems to be able to quiet it down.

Is this normal, or is there a remedy? I haven't had this much noise in Strats and other singlecoil guitars before.

Thanks,
Pete

Hey Pete. Congrats on the 513. They are awesomely flexible guitars. There is some noise with mine, in the singlecoil setting and in positions 2 and 4 in the mild humbucking setting, but it's definitely no more than a typical Strat (much less than most). Could be a grounding issue. Is your playing space especially susceptible to hum?

Thanks for the response. My noise is in the same positions, mainly, although it can be a little noisy when I crank the guitar vol towards 10 on the bucker settings.
Will check to see if it could be grounding, although I have never really noticed it before with other single coils.

p.s. lived in Boulder for several years, and love and miss it
:)

Interesting that you are getting noise in the full humbucking positions. Mine is dead silent there.

Boulder is fun...and funny. It's always entertaining. We tried to leave in '98, but never made it.:)

Hi Pete,

can an you give us the production date of your noisy 513?

I had had to return an early 2014 model (with the new PCB-less wiring) due to excessive noise/hum. The guitar got a complete electronics check-up and subsequent refit to cure the issue, which took more than 3 months.
The whole story - still not completely solved as I am still waiting for a fault-less replacement - "cured" me of GASsing to that model (despite being completely satisfied with my other two PRSi, a 408 MT and a HBII).

If your guitar is one of the first models produced after the switch from PCB to "free-floating wiring" in early 2014, it might suffer from the same disease as my ex-513 was :-(

Best regards,

JoJo

I got my 513 new in 2013. All of a sudden about 6 months ago it developed a hum? I plug my Gibsons and Fenders in the same amp same with the settings in the same room .... same everything - no hum. What could be causing my hum all of a sudden?

Mine is a 2011 and as quiet as my humbucker guitars. My 1988 American strat, however, can be noisy in positions 2 and 4. Just saying this as it lends weight to the fact that 513s shouldn’t be noisy. Sure, I can get hum if I hold the guitar right up close to a light or mains switch, but in the middle of any room she’s a sweetie (well, waddya know, I just assigned a gender to my 513 - never thought of it as a ‘she’ before )

Last edited:
Hi, my PRS 513 has the same problem with noise. Can you help me to solve it? Did anyone solve this problem?

Back