513+3 mod

Looks like I’m going to send mine back next week to fix the finish on the side of the fretboard that is popping off in a couple of places. Think I’ll have them do the hard wire mod, and add a push pull switch. Don’t think the push pull will be quite the same as the mod posted above. But once I get it back without a pcb, it will be much easier to wire it that way myself. They also said they could satinize the neck. Which I would also do myself, but I’ve read how thin the v12 finish is. So best let them do that also. Anyway once I send it off and get it back I’ll report back. :)

Last edited:
Okay so I decided not to send it off for now. Really don’t want to be without haha. But I did order a new 5-way switch and a push pull pot. May have time Monday to install them, if they’re here by then.

This is the schematic for the Murali mod from the old Birds and Moons forum.
PRS515mod.jpg

The pull up ties the bridge and neck pick up together, so you get both the neck and bridge in either of the end positions and all pick ups on in the mixed positions. So, it's actually 6 more sounds for a 519. We ribbed Murali for weeks after that one.

Those that have the mod for all pickups, how do you like it? I won’t be able to have them all on if I do the mod I’m planning on. But not sure I would want all pickups anyway. I guess I could add a second push pull pot and then in the middle position have the option of middle only, outside only, and all 3. Hmmm. Maybe I’ll leave the back plate off and experiment a bit.

Those that have the mod for all pickups, how do you like it? I won’t be able to have them all on if I do the mod I’m planning on. But not sure I would want all pickups anyway. I guess I could add a second push pull pot and then in the middle position have the option of middle only, outside only, and all 3. Hmmm. Maybe I’ll leave the back plate off and experiment a bit.

I've done it on a couple Strats. All 3 is cool in a way because you get the fatness of position 4 with the bite of position 2, but I find it sounds too unfocused and I never found a use for it.

First of all: Who of this 513 related topic contributers are currently no member of fb's 513 owners worldwide group (it's no open public group by the way)? If not, please request access.
Secondly: I bet, PRS Europe, which is settled in Cambridgeshire, UK, runs an own Tech Department, could conduct the modification either. Nick Fraser, the head of this certain Tech Centre, is very experienced and skilled, he proceeded my 513 mod and improved a shielding/ground buzz issue incoincidence with changing from PCB to hand wired electronics.
I could offer you his email-address for dicussing your intent and arranging all necessary actions, @Moakalatte.

Back