509 acting like an antenna

owickerman

Hi,

Since yesterday I have a little problem with my 509.
With no apparent reason, she's acting like an antenna.
I explain^^
When I have a good amount on gain on my rig, I get a very annoying buzzing sound (will record it tonight) but it disappears when directing the neck to the south east!
Tested with 2 amps, several cables and the problem is still the same. The noise appears with all 9 pups combinations and is colored by the pups.
It began yesterday when I picked her up, the day before yesterday there was no strange sound.
Between these two playing session, she just been hangin as usual.

One last thing, when I turn the tone control completely off, the noise disappears.

Thinking you have a cold solder joint on a shield or a bad ground.
Does it go away if you touch the bridge ?
You can open the back and look for loose connections , just touch everything gently see if the buzz lessens or stops other wise it might need a trip to PTC

So frustrating...
I prepared the soldering iron and everything needed. I plugged the guitar in exactly the same conditions than yesterday and ... ... ...
No unwanted noise...
Well, I believe i'll heat the soldering joints nonetheless and hope it never happens again.

I'm no guitar expert, but I am an electrical engineer, and what you're describing sounds exactly like what would happen if you had a flaky ground connection somewhere. Is there any chance your cables are aging or had a bad connection that day? It might explain why it went away another day when you'd plugged the cables in again or moved things around. Seems likely that it will return unless fixed.

I'm no guitar expert, but I am an electrical engineer, and what you're describing sounds exactly like what would happen if you had a flaky ground connection somewhere. Is there any chance your cables are aging or had a bad connection that day? It might explain why it went away another day when you'd plugged the cables in again or moved things around. Seems likely that it will return unless fixed.

Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Thanks for the answers, my cables are ok. I tested with, at least, 3 different cables, including 2 that are of very high quality and just a few month old.
I really believe the problem is coming from the guitar since it disappeared when using another one and when turning off the volume or the tonality.
I will re-check all the solder joints in the cavity and see if something happens.

Back