5-way switch eliminates hum in only position 2. What's wrong?

57Strat777

I have a PRS NF3 I bought brand new. It has never been modified by me. The NF3 has the three "near field" humbuckers and a 5-way selector switch. All 5 positions seem to sound fine except position 2 (bridge and middle combined) is the only position of the 5 positions that eliminates hum. It seems to me if position 2 eliminates hum, then position 4 should also eliminate hum. Is something wrong with my guitar? Thanks!

Here is the wiring diagram if that helps:

https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2012/nf3_2012.pdf

Not sure why your guitar would hum at all... maybe you've got a cold solder joint or something with the ground? I mean, humbuckers by nature aren't supposed to hum.

Do you have a dimmer or any of those retrofit LED lights nearby? It could be that the guitar isn't actually humming it's just picking up electrical noise from some stuff with questionable shielding.

You say you bought it brand new, but it's been discontinued for a while now -- I presume you've had it for all this time? Has it been doing it all this time? I'd contact customer service, you're right, it should be bucking hum for more than just one position.

Also, are you sure it's not the amp -- do you have another amp you can try it on?

Back