Neil Schon
George Lynch
Al Di Meola
Jake E Lee
Randy Rhoads
Matthias Jabs
John Norum
Doug Aldrich

Could not name just 5. Heck, it is hard to stop at 10 as there are many more....

In no particular order, the 5 guitarists most important to me:

David Gilmour
Steve Vai
Al DiMeola
Alex Lifeson
Jeff Beck

Brian May
James Hetfield
John Petrucci
Slash
Alex Skolnick or Joe Bonamassa or Marcus Siepen (Blind Guardian) or Timo Somers (Delain), depending on my mood..

Great list! Glad I've gotten to see 3 of them
I'm sure Buddy Whittington is an unknown to many, but he's a Bedford, Texas, boy who toured, recorded and was part of John Mayall's band for ten years. You can find some of his stuff on You Tube under his name -- ZZ Top's "Just Got Back From Baby's" is one of my favorites. BTW -- Buddy is a genuine nice guy, too.

1. Frank Zappa
2. David Gilmour
2. Alex Lifeson
2. Stevie Ray Vaughan
2. James Hetfield

These are my favorite players (considering I'm basically a rock guitar lover):

David Gilmour
...who translate in music and great sounds the genius of Roger Waters
Nuno Bettencourt...a ray of light of inspiration between tons of great but cold guitar's hero at the end of '80
Gary Moore...every single note sustained by his physical strength
Mark Knopfler...a sort of movie director...every song and solo seems to recall images related to notes you're listening
Steve Ray Vaughan...simply because I've tried to find a defect and didn't find it...he play live as in studio, always 110% in the groove...

I know it sounds like an "average" decision....but those are the best for me.

But there are several others which probably are not so "important" for guitar or not so famous like:

- Chris De Garmo/ Micheal Wilton (Queensryche perfect duo)
- Adrian Smith/ Dave Murray (Maiden...Smith is my favourite)
- James Hetfield/K. Hammet (...I vote for Hetfield)
- Steve Lukather (Ok this is masterclass guitar player but I have to remind him somewhere)
- Jimmy Page (ops...)

...ok I have to close :(

Eric Johnson
David Gilmour
David Grissom
Alex Lifeson
Eddie VanHalen

Last edited:
Picking only five players would be next to impossible for me -- but several pages in, I haven't seen Kenny Burrell's name mentioned yet, and that has to be corrected. ;)

David Gilmour ...who translate in music and great sounds the genius of Roger Waters
What? No. Pink Floyd was -- at its best -- an ensemble unit. Roger Waters only took over only with The Wall and The Final Cut. But if you look at the writing credits for The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals, you'll see that they were an ensemble.

Fogging megalomaniac.

Don't get me wrong -- I love everything Roger Waters has done, have all of his solo albums, and even that godawful opera he wrote in SACD, but A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell were more Pink Floyd albums than The Wall nor The Final Cut.

Back