5 days ago I'd never played a PRS before, today I bought one...

13thSpider

I'd never played a PRS before but anytime I'd seen them on YouTube etc I always thought they seemed a bit 'meh'. Not very exciting in terms of tone or appeal.

My father in law brought down his PRS SE 245 to let me try it (comparing it to my Epiphone Les Paul) and I have to say I am all turned round on the subject!

Playing through my little Blackstar HTR-1 it produced a rather fantastic sound, and the guitar just felt great. I've never 'clicked' with another guitar the way I did with this one and I was genuinely surprised.

It just goes to show that all the comparison videos in the world don't mean anything without actually playing said guitar! I love the grunt that my Les Paul gives, but the PRS had much more 'space' tonally, for want of a better expression.

So today I purchased a used(but mint) 2011 SE Custom 24 from a FB guitar group. It'll be a few days before it arrive and to say I'm excited is an understatement.

The Epiphone will have to go ( currently I'm a one guitar guy due to both space and finances) but I honestly don't think I'm really going to miss it!

Last edited:
PRS Guitars are addictive... They look, sound and play so great that you will want another - maybe a CU22 to go with the CU24 and then maybe a Tremonti.... :D
Yes they are. My first was a “Tremonti se” and then “Sunburst 22 nitro”...and then 3 Prs ‘s later. I sold all my other guitars too because I really noticed playability flaws in them after playing a prs.

I was the same. Saw PRS a bit like Steve Jobs and Mac's. All hype but just a different flavour of the same old. Looks were ok, rarely sounded particularly inspiring in reviews on Youtube. I have a strat, Les Paul and a short scale Ibanez plus a modern S type shred guitar 24 frets and floyd that isn't my style.

Anyway, I was looking for something light weight and affordable after a bad back. Zach Myers came to the rescue. It has a shorter scale than Gibson and a nice wide fat neck with same nut as an American Fender/Gibson. Was blown away.

6 months later I thought I'd replace my fugly modern shredder. Got a 2018 Custom 24 floyd SE. It can basically replace three other non PRS guitars. 24 fret with scale between Fender and Gibson plus the wider than most import nut fits me like a glove. So easy to play and the pickups are very versatile. Didn't have to change the nut and the floyd stays in perfect tune. Love it.

If I could only have one guitar it would be a close relative of this Custom 24 but since it would be the only one, an American model.

Last edited:
Yep, my first was a PRS SE Santana. I was going to upgrade to a S2 custom 24, but played a new CE 24 and quickly changed my mind and bought over my budget. :) I parted with my Strat to make room for this one and I don't regret it. I loved my Strat, but this PRS just sounds and plays so much better. ...at least for the kind of music i'm playing. (the split coils can get some "close to strat sounds" too!)

I have a feeling a full core guitar is next for me though...

Back