408 indecision

image_6.jpeg
Hello all,

New here and thinking about purchasing my first PRS but am having trouble pulling the trigger.

I recently went to my local music store and was able to test out a custom 24, custom 22, McCarty, Paul's guitar and 408. To my surprise the 408 was my favorite even though I had mentally written it off before I even played it due to the proprietary pickups.

After browsing the used market I've found two 408s I'm interested, both are 2013 models and both have pattern thin necks. However, one is a standard in cherry and the other is a 10 top Maple quilt top.

I already own a Gibson Explorer and an SG in cherry so I'm leaning towards the quilt top for something different but I'm having trouble deciding between the understated standard look and the more flashy quilt and hybrid hardware look.

I know this is a personal decision but I was curious how others felt about the traditional vs flashy looks of these instruments.

Thanks in advance!

Funny, I bought my PRSZ (2x513's & a Paul's) based on the fact the they had proprietary pick ups, tuners etc. Mr Smiths recent proprietary pickups are stunning, my favourites being the 513's but the narrow 408 are also incredibly versatile and would hold their own against anything from any other guitar manufacturer or boutique pickup manufacturer (I own something from most name brand guitar manufacturers (The guitars in my sig are just the ones that I could fit in the space provided). Im stoked with my decision to go 100% PRS ! Don't hesitate on the 408 because of the pickups, you'll just be depriving yourself of an excellent guitar because of small mindedness......a common trait amongst guitarists.

Best of luck with you decision.

image.jpg2.jpg
image_5.png
image_5.png

a>

image.jpg8.jpg

image_5.png

Last edited:
All these beautiful Blue guitars! I think my eyes are getting moist. But then again, that could be my allergy eye drops.

No one hears the color of your guitar. If you like the 408 sound, you can't lose.

Not to quibble, but.... you are correct, if it's an audio recording and the player him/herself is satisfied with the color of the instrument. But performance? It is visual... and if a player dislikes anything about an instrument, that could color (pardon the pun) the performance itself.

Wanted to give everyone an update as after much thought I've decided to go a totally different way. I'm sure a 408 will be in my future eventually but I was put in a position to pick one of these up and couldn't resist. Thank you everyone for your input!

2s63r4k.jpg

The 408 pickups are sublime, but why can't you buy the one you fell in love with? I have a 408 and a Paul's, and I find them very close. I'm not sure that if you bought online (or wherever it is you're looking) that you'd get a 408 that is better than a Paul's.

Okay, here's my point. Make sure you confirm beyond the shadow of a doubt that you can't buy that 408, because if that 408 "spoke to you", you better buy that 408. Otherwise I think you may need to start over.

Wanted to give everyone an update as after much thought I've decided to go a totally different way. I'm sure a 408 will be in my future eventually but I was put in a position to pick one of these up and couldn't resist. Thank you everyone for your input!

2s63r4k.jpg

Well congrats on your NGD. I love guitars that show off the natural beauty of wood......though I don't currently own any unpainted / unfinished guitars myself.........

I think you need to start a new thread for your NGD so that everyone on the forum gets to read your thoughts on what I'm guessing is one of the new "reclaimed wood series" PRSZ. What will you be plugging that bad boy into ?

Enjoy

Back