408 indecision

21Hemispheres12

Old Member
Hello all,

New here and thinking about purchasing my first PRS but am having trouble pulling the trigger.

I recently went to my local music store and was able to test out a custom 24, custom 22, McCarty, Paul's guitar and 408. To my surprise the 408 was my favorite even though I had mentally written it off before I even played it due to the proprietary pickups.

After browsing the used market I've found two 408s I'm interested, both are 2013 models and both have pattern thin necks. However, one is a standard in cherry and the other is a 10 top Maple quilt top.

I already own a Gibson Explorer and an SG in cherry so I'm leaning towards the quilt top for something different but I'm having trouble deciding between the understated standard look and the more flashy quilt and hybrid hardware look.

I know this is a personal decision but I was curious how others felt about the traditional vs flashy looks of these instruments.

Thanks in advance!

Here's my opinion...

My408_zpsc86148c6.jpg

If it's the only guitar in your collection, it's gonna be awesome to have something that looks good.

If you have other guitars, it's gonna be awesome to have a good looking one in the mix.

What I'm trying to say is; you can't go wrong with a good looking guitar!

Looking at it is gonna make you want to pick it up, and picking it up is gonna inspire you to play more!

I'd go for a maple top, I prefer to have birds and pretty top on PRS, while I dig Gibson with classy looking plain top.
I haven't tried 408 standard, but 408 with maple top will probably have a bit more brighter top end than the all mahogany standard.
FYI I own a cu22, cu24, and 2 408's. They are all incredible and hard to pick my #1, but I find myself gravitate towards 408 bit more. I am not a pickup swapper, so proprietary pickups never really bothered me especially when I love the tone of 408 pickups.

Thanks for the replies so far, you're all making this a pretty easy decision for me!

To give a little background, right now my arsenal consists of a plain top Gibson Les Paul G0, 1969 Gibson SG standard, Gibson Explorer, a partscaster telecaster and an EBMM jp6.

Going in to look at the PRS models I was looking for something totally different from what I already and I've been GASing for a PRS ever since I can remember.

The 408 really surprised me because of how usable all of the positions were, especially the neck pickup which wasn't muddy at all but was thicker than a single coil which I've never really been a fan of in the neck. I will say though I've had a few custom 22's and McCarty's tempt me but I think the 408 better fills what I'm looking for.

My 408 is a Standard ( but Crackwood neck :) )

Here is a vid before I owned it , It is still one of my favorite sounding guitars ( I like the look also )

I never get tired of the video ( and I make the pedal )

I also have a Brushstroke 24 with the dual narrow 408 pickups and a killer top :)

You can't go wrong with a 408 IMHO

I vote quilt top too. Either way,,you can't go wrong. Good luck, and welcome to the Forum. BTW, love your name....Alex is the best!

A nice looking guitar is a great bonus to a great playing guitar. Understated has its place, but for the 408, got for the gusto!

Hello all,

New here and thinking about purchasing my first PRS but am having trouble pulling the trigger.

I recently went to my local music store and was able to test out a custom 24, custom 22, McCarty, Paul's guitar and 408. To my surprise the 408 was my favorite even though I had mentally written it off before I even played it due to the proprietary pickups.

After browsing the used market I've found two 408s I'm interested, both are 2013 models and both have pattern thin necks. However, one is a standard in cherry and the other is a 10 top Maple quilt top.

I already own a Gibson Explorer and an SG in cherry so I'm leaning towards the quilt top for something different but I'm having trouble deciding between the understated standard look and the more flashy quilt and hybrid hardware look.

I know this is a personal decision but I was curious how others felt about the traditional vs flashy looks of these instruments.

Thanks in advance!

If I couldn't try them in person, I would buy the standard and some black pickup rings.

Or... Sell the Explorer and SG and buy the white 408 with the Brazilian neck that's on Reverb. Then you can have traditional and flashy at the same time. :cool:

I'd be more concerned about what you expect tonally. The maple top adds some upper end to the tone, while the all-mahogany guitars have a more mid-focused sound. Both are great flavors, so it just depends on what you want.

There are surely maple topped 408's out there that don't have blingy quilt tops and hybrid hardware, so I'm sure the right one will come along with a little patience.

I appreciate all the replies guys! I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet but you are all definitely giving me some good points to consider.

As far as the sound I'm going for I'm really not sure which I would prefer. Currently my #1 is my Les Paul which is Maple topped so maybe I'd also prefer the tone of the Maple topped 408? The 408 I played at the store was Maple topped and I dug the tone but unfortunately there is no standard I can compare it to side by side.

I have three, a siggy with a stop-tail, an experience semi-hollow, and a standard. I prefer the semi-hollow which is probably the closest to the maple topped one, but they are all good. Stop-tails tend to have the mid focused frowny EQ where the trems are smiley. The standard makes it more frowny.
IMG_1801.jpg
IMG_1447-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back