4 Conductor HFS Pickup?

Bullcitybmmer

Hi everyone- I recently picked up an older HFS pickup off ebay. I got it in the guitar, and it sounds great, but I was intrigued to find that it had 4 conductor wires + a bare ground, as opposed to the 3 conductor lead I was used to on PRS pickups. The listing said the pup was "vintage", but didn't give any more details. Were PRS pups 4 conductor back in the day, or is it possible this one was modified, or something different?

It works and sounds good, so not a huge deal either way, but it certainly piqued my interest.

If you go through the PRS official schematics on the support pages, they don't really have any 4 conductor pickups in any of those. Changing out pickup wires isn't all that hard if you've got soldering skills, so that's likely as long as you're sure it's actually a HFS.

If you go through the PRS official schematics on the support pages, they don't really have any 4 conductor pickups in any of those. Changing out pickup wires isn't all that hard if you've got soldering skills, so that's likely as long as you're sure it's actually a HFS.

That's kind of the direction I'm leaning in now. It's on a PRS baseplate and has the little gold HFS sticker, and it measures right on the multimeter, so I'm not super concerned with it being fake or anything. Like I said above, it works and sounds good, so all other variables are basically moot. Might have just been someone's experiment at some point.

Back