3 Mike 7-12

Shawn@PRS

yogi
This was a really cool project, but the PTC regrets it cannot take on similar projects at this time.

So our friend Mike came up with an unusual idea and asked the PTC if we could execute his crazy plan. He wanted to take a PRS 12 string and turn it into a 7 string. After a little discussion, we said “Yes!”.

Th3Mike then bought a PRS 12 string sight unseen and had it shipped directly to the factory for renovations. Here is the progress so far.

Skitchy laid out the tuners to see how they were going to line up using only 7 of the 12 holes.
m2.jpg

He than made a makeshift bridge to determine how the string spacing was going to work. Since this was going to have a unique string spacing, he had to modify many of the parts that will be used.
m1.jpg

Since the existing holes did not line up well, most of the holes were filled…
m4.jpg

…and then re-drilled in the correct position
m5.jpg

Mike wanted the center pickup removed and filled in, so Skitchy made blocks to plug the holes.
m3.jpg

Since a new bridge was necessary, the studs were pulled and plugged and new bridge holes drilled
m8.jpg

Oh yeah, string-thru body
m7.jpg

Siggy Electronics need divots, right?
m9.jpg

Headstock starting to take shape
m10.jpg

This has been a challenging and fun project so far and I can’t wait to see the final product. More to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been so hard to keep it hush hush! Ahah This project is seriously a huge undertaking and the PTC guys have done nothing but hit it completely out of the park in every way! :)

Mike,

Very cool project you have goping on there . I can't wait to see the finished product. This makes me feel very good about my project seeing this because mine is minor compared to what you have going on.

Shawn and the PTC crew ROCK !!!!:rock:

Wow, too cool. Can't wait to see how it's finished.... going to be killer!

WOW! I remember you and Hans alluding to this concept, but never in my wildest dreams did I think you were serious!

Balls/wallet of steel, my man.

OK, since no one else is going to approach the elephant in the room.............. Why?

I mean, this might be the dumbest question ever, but I'm not scared of asking stupid questions if I end up being enlightened, but why take a 12 String neck and make into a 7 string when PRS can already do 7 String necks?

Am I missing something here?

OK, since no one else is going to approach the elephant in the room.............. Why?

I mean, this might be the dumbest question ever, but I'm not scared of asking stupid questions if I end up being enlightened, but why take a 12 String neck and make into a 7 string when PRS can already do 7 String necks?

Am I missing something here?

Because we began planning this project before the SE-7 was announced and I really have a great deal of fun doing unique projects with the PTC dudes - its my flavor.

Thanks everyone for the positive words! I'm so stoked on it I can't believe its happening - its been tossed around for years as an idea and its very much so a reality now! ahah

Because we began planning this project before the SE-7 was announced and I really have a great deal of fun doing unique projects with the PTC dudes - its my flavor.

My insane mind totally understand you. don't forget to keep us up to date, bro.

Back