277 Tone report, The Beast with a Blue Soul

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
Ok, I've spent a little time with the 277.

Holy crap, this thing has attitude. It came strung with 14-68, tuned B E A D F# B. I started on the neck pup through a Hughes and Kettner Trilogy set at "vanilla" (amp tone controls at 12:00).

I hit the low B string and waited.
And waited.
Went for a sammich.
Walked the dog.
Took a nap.
It's still ringing.

Between the monster strings (for me-I'm usually in the 9-10 range), aircraft carrier length and string-through semi-hollow body, the sustain is off the chart.

I'm already a pretty legato player, Gilmour solos and melodic lines suit me. I can see that this guitar will steer me even more towards melodic, thoughtful stuff. It's articulate enough for shredding, but it just begs to let notes and the tons of harmonics ring out and hug you for a little while.

Some guitars are rush hour in the middle of Time's Square. This guitar is a beach chair on a Carribean island with a tall, cold drink.

The P90s are surprisingly noiseless.

The ONLY quibble I have so far is some noise in the 3 way switch. That may get some contact cleaner soon.

The blended pup tones are good and the neck pup is usable, but this thing wants to be caressed in the neck position.

Between the scale length and the B to B tuning, I have quite a bit of re-learning to do.

Fun!

Great review Ruger! I don't know if I could bond with that scale length but you certainly make me want to try.

Great description! Sounds like we all might need a 7 string...:rolleyes:

It's not a 7 string. I have an SE 7. This is a baritone. And it's such a different animal. It's got a black heart and a blue soul. I'm tickled pink.

Great review Ruger! I don't know if I could bond with that scale length but you certainly make me want to try.

You wanted to get together, again Rob. We're gonna have to make that happen. But you had better squirrel away some cash before you pick up this beast.

...tuned down a fourth. B E A D F# B. Same string to string intervals, same chord shapes -very different chords....

It's like a reverse capo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review and congrats on the new guitar. One of the new baritones (haven't decided yet which flavor) is on my short list for this years' slightly cash poor GAS fulfillment plan.

Tom

Sounds delicious! I am hoping that a local store will get one so I can try one out. That scale is a big change for me, but I always loved the SE Semi-Hollow Soapbars. Glad you two are getting on so well!

Make sure Sergio doesn`t hear about the blue soul. He may become apoplectic. You know his blue "thing".

Thanks for the tone report -- it's already on my list, but now it's even more on my list.
Whatever that means. Trust me. It makes sense if you don't think about it too hard.

Just got my SE 277 last week, its the sunburst with the P90's,
Awesome guitar and sound!

Back