24.5" vs 25" McCarty models: do you notice any difference?

parek

Hi,

do you, who have played short and normal scale double cut models, notice any difference in the ergonomics of the guitar? In other words, does the guitar sit on your lap differently, are right and left hand position different etc.?

I used to have McCarty (25") and ZM SE (24,5" but it's a single cut, semi-hollow) and the ergonomics of the ZM was superior (to me): the fretting hand liked it a lot (because I have short fingers) and the body ergonomics was better because my right hand was naturally resting in perfect position. With McCarty, I have to keep my arm in particular way that my palm is where I want it to be. This means that there is a constant tension in right shoulder etc. Nothing major, I can definitely live with normal McCarty and it's features.

I am still thinking if e.g. McCarty with 24.5" scale would be the answer? Is the bridge located differently in normal vs 24.5" McCarty or is the only difference the length of the neck?

Thanks in advance.

My 24.5" guitars are single cuts and that's an ergonomically different guitar than my 25" double cuts. That does feel different. Never bad, just different. Since I stand, mostly, with my guitars, my hand placement is consistent because I use the same 2 identical length straps for everything. That probably does the most to neutralize the geometric differences in the guitars. Otherwise, that 1/2" in scale length difference is not much.

Between my 25" scale, McCarty thickness P22 and my 24.6" 594, the biggest difference is due to the neck carve (pattern regular vs pattern vintage), followed by the control layout, then the string tension due to scale length. I don't really notice any difference as far as hand positioning, etc, although like Boogie, I do the vast majority of my electric playing standing up.

I notice a difference in string tension, but not hand position.

No difference in hand position or sitting with the guitar at all here.

The strings feel a tiny, tiny bit different under the fingers, but the ergonomics are pretty much the same.

OK, thanks for replies. I think I will skip the idea of getting the DC 245. It would maybe not be and feel enough different to my current guitar.

Maybe I'll save for couple of years and get 594.

OK, thanks for replies. I think I will skip the idea of getting the DC 245. It would maybe not be and feel enough different to my current guitar.

Maybe I'll save for couple of years and get 594.

going down 1/2 a string gauge is a good simulation IME and a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a new guitar.

My SC245 vs My Custom 24 feels far different. My forearm weld is my main anchor as opposed to the bridge so i dont feel a huge difference as far as the hand goes but just looking at the two fretboards l, my Custom 24 feels like looking at a football field compared to my SC245. Mentally it just looks like a lot more ground to cover.

My SC245 vs My Custom 24 feels far different. My forearm weld is my main anchor as opposed to the bridge so i dont feel a huge difference as far as the hand goes but just looking at the two fretboards l, my Custom 24 feels like looking at a football field compared to my SC245. Mentally it just looks like a lot more ground to cover.

That's why everyone needs a Santana :)

24.5 vs 25 is noticeable to me
24.5 on a PRS double cut feels really compact on Single cuts I don't notice it much

24.5 vs 25 is noticeable to me
24.5 on a PRS double cut feels really compact on Single cuts I don't notice it much
I was afraid someone might have this opinion ;) I can feel the difference in the length of the neck and since I have shortish fingers, I would like to have the 24.5" scale. I love compactness.

Currently, I have only HB2. If that had 24,5" that would be perfect in every way. Now, the only thing not perfect is the scale. I was thinking of buying a second hand DC 245. That would have the correct scale (and many other things), but it would have to be semi-hollow or hollow that I could say that the specs are "perfect".

It sounds like you should buy a 2nd hand SE245 to test the waters. That's a much smaller investment of the unknown. (And I love my SE245)

I echo your thoughts - but comparing McCarty DC 594 to CU 24 - string tension different, CU 24 football field etc....

I really do not notice the increase in string pressure at all. What I notice is the shorter scale has a sweeter sound on the treble strings, especially up the neck. And this is why everyone needs a Santana!

As much as I love the shorter scales, SOMETIMES a longer scale (25.5) just works better. For example, playing arpeggios above the 12th fret.

What do you all think, are McCarty HB2 and McCarty DC 245 enough different that it makes sense to own both? Of course everything is "different" when comparing against hollowbody, but otherwise the feel and sound? Might be a stupid question, but oh well.. :)

I can't speak directly for the McCarty HB2 and the McCarty DC 245 but I have both a HB I (archtop pickups) and an HB II (57-08's) as well as the DC 594 and there is a world of difference tone wise between the 2 HB's and the DC 594. It will be interesting to hear what the others have to say

Back