22 Frets vs. 24 Frets: What are the advantages?

I agree, looks like more spacing behind the bridge and the bridge pickup is closer to the neck pickup than the CU22.
This topic is perfect for a MythBusters episode.

That's exactly right. The neck of the 24 is also longer than that of the 22. The neck pickup can't be moved any further towards the body edge, so everything else has to shift.

LOL. I'm not letting them blow up my guitars.

(Unless they buy me some new ones. Hmmmm....)

Ha! Yeah watching those blow up would be painful. By the way, where are you mounting the hex pickup controller on that CU24? I have one mounted on a strat and thought the only place you could put it was behind the bridge, attached to the strap button?

Ha! Yeah watching those blow up would be painful. By the way, where are you mounting the hex pickup controller on that CU24? I have one mounted on a strat and thought the only place you could put it was behind the bridge, attached to the strap button?

Same. It's hanging around the back so the guitars sit equally on the floor. The part under the strap button made the CU24 about an 8th inch taller. I keep debating getting the Graphtech saddles and Hexpander, but I don't know if I'm ready to committ to new holes in my guitar.

Maybe THIS will help....

22v24.gif

Love that diagram above, really good explanation. On Prs guitars, the neck technically is longer on the 24 fretters, but the 25" scale length stays the same. Never really liked the neck pickups on 24 frets guitars. It seems to lack the warmth at times I prefer from 22 fretters.

Maybe THIS will help....

22v24.gif

Close, but the 24 fret neck really doesn't intrude into the body, crowding the neck pup. It sits out farther, causing the need to move the bridge and the the bridge pup farther towards the neck pup to maintain the 24" scale...

The gif with the guitar adding two frets nails the explanation, imho...

Jamie

You guys are all hung up on where the bridge sits on the body and at what fret the neck joins the body and none of it has anything to do with the decreased space available for the pups on a 24 vs a 22.

For a 24 you could put the body/neck joint at fret 22 and have 2 frets sitting over the body as is usually done on a double cut. Or, if you wanted the bridge in the same position as it is for a 22, you could have 4 frets sitting on the body with the upper bout neck joint at 20 - you would need to deepen the cut on the lower bout a bit to all easier access to the last frets. Or, you could have the neck join the body way up the fretboard for the upper bout as in the case of a single cut.

My point is - none of that matters - what compresses the space between the end of the fretboard and the bridge is the two extra frets.

It simply does not matter where you lay the whole thing on the body.

Picture it all happening on a singlecut. You can keep both the bridge and the upper bout neck joint in the same position. You add 2 frets to the fretboard, move the neck pup and deepen the carve slightly on the lower bout for access. You would be moving the neck pup to accommodate the 2 extra frets.

Take a ruler to your local guitar center if you dont believe me. The neck pickup is closer to the bridge on a 24 because bridge is in a different spot. The scale is still 25" because the neck is 2 frets longer. Look back in this thread to a post by EricT. There you will see the light.

THIS is what I'm on about.
I acknowledge that the bridge on a 24 is moved - that is because we generally only want 2 frets laying over the body for easier access. Thus the whole scale is moved by 2 frets towards the neck end of the guitar.
I acknowledge that the necks are longer on a 24 - by the above mentioned 2 frets.
I acknowledge that the neck pickup ends up closer to the bridge.
I refute that the neck pup is closer because the bridge is moved on a 24.
I assert it is because there are 2 more frets in the way where the neck pup is positioned in relation to the bridge, while maintaining the scale of the guitar.

Set up your desired scale.
Decide on your bridge and nut.
Decide on the length of your fretboard (22 or 24 or 18 or 5 or 30 - pick anything you want)
Lay out your bridge, nut and fretboard to scale.
The space between the end of the fretboard and the bridge is the space available for pups. If you want more room so you can put a pup farther from the bridge, you are gonna have to get rid of some frets...
You can lay the entire thing anywhere on a guitar body you want.
Moving the entire setup back and forth across the body doesn't change the space available for pups.

Finally, consider a neck-through guitar. Think of one that is JUST that long single piece that goes all the way from the tuners to through the body to the button for the strap at the end. Think of it WITHOUT any wood added to the top or bottom (body wings). It's just a long slab of wood. There are travel guitars like this, actually.

Now, lay out your 22 fret guitar on it. All the parts sit on that one piece of wood from tip of headstock to nut to fretboard to pups to bridge to tail to strap button.

Make a small change. Add 2 frets to the fretboard without changing the scale length. Are you gonna add wood to the end of the headstock and move the tuners, the nut, the fretboard the bridge pup and the bridge just so you don't have to move the neck pup? Are you nuts?

Take out the neck pup, put down your new fretboard with it's 2 extra frets and rout a new neck pup cavity at the end of THAT fretboard, ummm, maybe like ..

THIS

22v24.gif

Last edited:
Regarding PRS GUITARS, that drawing is incorrect. I have both guitars before me......the neck pickup doesnt move, everything else does. I hope I have helped.

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;79208 said:
Premature. :vroam:

not premature - I'm done :goodnight:

Squirt is not the same as pie.
Squirt- 1. The polar opposite of "pie". When you wish to state something but have no idea where to start, you say: Squirt.
2. Sparkling citrus beverage that pairs well with rum.

Squirt is not the same as pie.
Squirt- 1. The polar opposite of "pie". When you wish to state something but have no idea where to start, you say: Squirt.
2. Sparkling citrus beverage that pairs well with rum.

Oh, I get squirt. For me right now it's either 'squirt' or I'm gonna have to do my Strother Martin impersonation...

You guys are all hung up on where the bridge sits on the body and at what fret the neck joins the body and none of it has anything to do with the decreased space available for the pups on a 24 vs a 22.

For a 24 you could put the body/neck joint at fret 22 and have 2 frets sitting over the body as is usually done on a double cut. Or, if you wanted the bridge in the same position as it is for a 22, you could have 4 frets sitting on the body with the upper bout neck joint at 20 - you would need to deepen the cut on the lower bout a bit to all easier access to the last frets. Or, you could have the neck join the body way up the fretboard for the upper bout as in the case of a single cut.

My point is - none of that matters - what compresses the space between the end of the fretboard and the bridge is the two extra frets.

It simply does not matter where you lay the whole thing on the body.

Picture it all happening on a singlecut. You can keep both the bridge and the upper bout neck joint in the same position. You add 2 frets to the fretboard, move the neck pup and deepen the carve slightly on the lower bout for access. You would be moving the neck pup to accommodate the 2 extra frets.

THIS is what I'm on about.
I acknowledge that the bridge on a 24 is moved - that is because we generally only want 2 frets laying over the body for easier access. Thus the whole scale is moved by 2 frets towards the neck end of the guitar.
I acknowledge that the necks are longer on a 24 - by the above mentioned 2 frets.
I acknowledge that the neck pickup ends up closer to the bridge.
I refute that the neck pup is closer because the bridge is moved on a 24.
I assert it is because there are 2 more frets in the way where the neck pup is positioned in relation to the bridge, while maintaining the scale of the guitar.

Set up your desired scale.
Decide on your bridge and nut.
Decide on the length of your fretboard (22 or 24 or 18 or 5 or 30 - pick anything you want)
Lay out your bridge, nut and fretboard to scale.
The space between the end of the fretboard and the bridge is the space available for pups. If you want more room so you can put a pup farther from the bridge, you are gonna have to get rid of some frets...
You can lay the entire thing anywhere on a guitar body you want.
Moving the entire setup back and forth across the body doesn't change the space available for pups.

Finally, consider a neck-through guitar. Think of one that is JUST that long single piece that goes all the way from the tuners to through the body to the button for the strap at the end. Think of it WITHOUT any wood added to the top or bottom (body wings). It's just a long slab of wood. There are travel guitars like this, actually.

Now, lay out your 22 fret guitar on it. All the parts sit on that one piece of wood from tip of headstock to nut to fretboard to pups to bridge to tail to strap button.

Make a small change. Add 2 frets to the fretboard without changing the scale length. Are you gonna add wood to the end of the headstock and move the tuners, the nut, the fretboard the bridge pup and the bridge just so you don't have to move the neck pup? Are you nuts?

Take out the neck pup, put down your new fretboard with it's 2 extra frets and rout a new neck pup cavity at the end of THAT fretboard, ummm, maybe like ..

THIS

22v24.gif

Ruger,

The problem is some of us are talking about how PRS has different necks on the 22 vs 24 fret guitars, causing the need to move the bridge towards the headstock, and you're talking in general terms. Both are correct...

Jamie

Regarding PRS GUITARS, that drawing is incorrect. I have both guitars before me......the neck pickup doesnt move, everything else does. I hope I have helped.

Actually, both you and Ruger are correct. His drawing above is correct, but it does not show the guitar body, it only shows the scale length. On a PRS Custom approximately 2 1/2 frets are located ON the body. This is true for both 22 and 24 fret models. Because of the extra frets on a 24 fretter, the bridge moves up and the neck is kicked out further. This causes less space between pickups.

Back