20th Anniversary PRS

cwade1989

I am about to buy a 2005 20th anniversary custom 22 PRS. Is there anybody who can tell me how the dove inlays are placed, what kind of pickups are on it, and if they have the locking tuners? Are they all the same for that year and model? I've been looking at pictures online but I just want to be sure (I am very picky about it). The reason why I don't know is because I have my guitar guy from Guitar Center call me whenever a new used PRS custom 22 comes in, so there aren't any pictures up on it yet. I don't own any "anniversary" ones. Thanks in advance.

-Carlos

Mine had 20th Annv Birds in Flight, Dragon II pickups and locking tuners.

i-jwqrBTF.jpg

Last edited:
2005 was a great year for PRS. However, not all 20th Anniversary guitars had the 20th Anniversary Package that included the "Birds in Flight" inlays, as shown in the above picture. If I were looking for a 20th, I would look for a guitar with the Artist Package and the 20th Anniversary Package. This will give you the BRW fretboard, BRW headstock veneer, Artist top, gold hardware, paua birds and headstock inlay, and the leather case also.

Somehting to keep in mind as you search. These models were so popular that it took until 2008 ... maybe even 2009 for all the orders to be filled for the 20th guitars. So don't be surprised by the date on the guitar.

Here is the CU22 AP 20th Anniversary I used to have ...
FrontFull1.jpg

cu22neck006.jpg

HeadFront1.jpg

Last edited:
Like Bill said, the 20th anniversary Artist packages was well-worth the upcharge. I'm pretty sure they came with the Artist pickups, too, which were better than the Dragon 2s.

Like Bill said, the 20th anniversary Artist packages was well-worth the upcharge. I'm pretty sure they came with the Artist pickups, too, which were better than the Dragon 2s.

+1 I searched 5 years for my 20th Anni Artist SC. It was worth it.

Hey thanks for the replies! Sorry it took so long to get back, but I finally got it! Black Cherry, Flame 10-Top, Dragon II pickups, birds in flight, locking tuners, and tremelo. Which brings me to my next question... Does anyone know about how much it would be to put a floyd rose or something similar on it? The tremelo on mine isn't that great. It gets out of tune often, especially when new strings are on it. I've even swapped out the nut and it still goes sharp on some strings and flat on others. There's no consistancy to it.

Hey thanks for the replies! Sorry it took so long to get back, but I finally got it! Black Cherry, Flame 10-Top, Dragon II pickups, birds in flight, locking tuners, and tremelo. Which brings me to my next question... Does anyone know about how much it would be to put a floyd rose or something similar on it? The tremelo on mine isn't that great. It gets out of tune often, especially when new strings are on it. I've even swapped out the nut and it still goes sharp on some strings and flat on others. There's no consistancy to it.

Sounds like a setup issue. PTC, baby!

Here's a 20th Cu22, 10-top, non-artist. It has Dragon II pickups, and phase 2 locking tuners. I added the chrome pickup rings, other than that it's stock:

prs05.png
Hi man! Where did you get the chrome pickup rings? I've been wanting to add those to my PRS but I have been told they only manufacture chrome rings for the SE's. Can you point me to any website I can buy them?

Hi man! Where did you get the chrome pickup rings? I've been wanting to add those to my PRS but I have been told they only manufacture chrome rings for the SE's. Can you point me to any website I can buy them?

Hmm... Memory is hazy since it was many years ago... but I think they may have come from Warmoth? If so, this is probably them: http://www.warmoth.com/Metal-Humbucker-Mounting-Ring-Chrome-P847C71.aspx. These days the guitar's sporting uncovered 59/09s and black rings.

I don't think it looks as nice, but it sounds drastically better.

Hi guys,
I know this is an old thread but I have a question relating to the 20th anniversary cu 24/22 specifically and cannot for the life of me find the answer.

I’m aware the artist package upgraded to a braz board and headstock veneer, artist pickups etc. Does anyone know if it was the artist package specifically that had rosewood headstock veneers, with all other options being standard headstock? Was there a non braz rosewood headstock veneer in part of the line up? Or if the guitar had that veneer were they defo an AP upgraded instrument?

Any info would be really appreciated thank :)

Hi guys,
I know this is an old thread but I have a question relating to the 20th anniversary cu 24/22 specifically and cannot for the life of me find the answer.

I’m aware the artist package upgraded to a braz board and headstock veneer, artist pickups etc. Does anyone know if it was the artist package specifically that had rosewood headstock veneers, with all other options being standard headstock? Was there a non braz rosewood headstock veneer in part of the line up? Or if the guitar had that veneer were they defo an AP upgraded instrument?

Any info would be really appreciated thank :)

I’m not sure if the Artist package ever included a BRW board. It did have the matching headstock veneer; I think the standard headstock veneer thing came later. Except for the early days (‘85-‘90ish), BRW has only appeared on WL, PS, and a few limited runs.

I’m not sure if the Artist package ever included a BRW board. It did have the matching headstock veneer; I think the standard headstock veneer thing came later. Except for the early days (‘85-‘90ish), BRW has only appeared on WL, PS, and a few limited runs.

Thanks for the clarification
My understanding was that between 2004-2007 artist package instruments were given BRW boards but I think where I’ve come unstuck is not making the connection that the ones I’ve seen/played were actually anniversary models and fall into the limited run category.
The penny has finally dropped!

Thanks for the clarification
My understanding was that between 2004-2007 artist package instruments were given BRW boards but I think where I’ve come unstuck is not making the connection that the ones I’ve seen/played were actually anniversary models and fall into the limited run category.
The penny has finally dropped!
Not all 2004 - 2007 AP's had Braz. My 2006 Cu24AP has an IRW board and headstock veneer. My 20th Anni SCAP is BRW. It just depends on the build.

Back