Anyone know when these 2018s start showing up at dealers?

I've been dumping unused gear for one of those cu24-08s :)
Well, as mentioned Sweetwater already has some of the multi-foils, so they probably have some other 2018s in stock.

I'm sure other dealers will get them soon if they don't already have them.

ha ha! Indeed it comes from within, but I think in Mr. Gilmour's case his diet has likely changed a lot over the years, yet his tone is pretty darned consistent (despite a variety of guitars and amps!).

All kidding aside, he is the epitome of "tone is in the fingers".

He has gained some poundage over the years so maybe it is possible he has the same diet but more of it :eek:

And all kidding aside. The man walks on clouds.

Please pardon my miscommunication. As much as I crave that single coil tone....If it's not a PRS I don't want it! I am smitten with these things! I haven't had the pleasure of playing many other PRSi thus far in my journey...but, no matter which model(s) it might or might not be, a PRS version of a single coil based guitar, will be something, I know for me at least, that will be a must have for us single coil loving types.

Would the bolt on neck...make as much or more difference tonally as say, the type of body/ neck/ fretboard material that would be used on such a widely popular PRS version...plwase forgive my ignorance, just curious.
Pardon my ignorance, does a narrow field pup give a single coil sound?

David's sound is desired by many and a common topic on the Internet. Many will go to extraordinary lengths hoping to achieve it. They will buy the same type of guitar, typically a Fender Stratocaster with period correct pickups and control knobs. In addition to this they will spend a fortune buying old amplifiers, replicating his rig, etc, and yet still fall short of the target. Oh the folly of it all. It is akin to buying a vintage Shure 55S Unidyne microphone and expecting to sound like Elvis. A single coil guitar pickup will only get you part way there regardless of which guitar you choose to employ it. David Gilmour's particular tone comes from within and we are what we eat. To achieve David's tone we therefore must closely examine his diet. You would do well to tailboard him in the supermarket and mimic his purchases. Yeah, try that.
The sound is in his fingers and his phrasing. Idea, find your own tone and innovate that?!

Luckily for me, 50-cycle hum is in the same frequency band as my wife's conniption voice, so I just don't notice it as much anymore... :D

I can't hear mine either....I'm pretty sure it's the same frequency band that only dogs can hear...she calls it my "selective hearing" mode.. I call it my happy place.

I can't hear mine either....I'm pretty sure it's the same frequency band that only dogs can hear...she calls it my "selective hearing" mode.. I call it my happy place.
It’s like white noise after a while, or maybe that’s the tinnitus! That’s a good name for her anyway (mine that is!)
Mrs white noise! I think it’s fair to say we all tune out to certain extent, especially after about year 7!!

It’s like white noise after a while, or maybe that’s the tinnitus! That’s a good name for her anyway (mine that is!)
Mrs white noise! I think it’s fair to say we all tune out to certain extent, especially after about year 7!!

Hmmm, in my case... Ms Ginger Train Horn...yep, I like it.

Oh wait until around year 20-25...you won't hear anything...you'll just stand there and try to figure out what she said.... just before she administered her throat punch therapy...Bob and weave my friend...Bob and weave...

Yes. He has quite a range of tones going on really. All supported by his style, or character.

Anybody guilty of trying to emulate those Four Notes in Shine On You Crazy Diamond?

I will put my hand up first ✋

Nope not me...now if you'd said "emulate a horrible version of the tone"...Then I had my hand up first!

Hmmm, in my case... Ms Ginger Train Horn...yep, I like it.

Oh wait until around year 20-25...you won't hear anything...you'll just stand there and try to figure out what she said.... just before she administered her throat punch therapy...Bob and weave my friend...Bob and weave...
We call it duck and cover but same theory. Your army learnt their “shock and awe” tactics from mine, I swear it!!

Nope not me...now if you'd said "emulate a horrible version of the tone"...Then I had my hand up first!

Sorry but you are wrong on that. I felt yours when my hand was half way back down.

I know you are new to playing. Hope you're still enjoying it by the way.

Yes. He has quite a range of tones going on really. All supported by his style, or character.

Anybody guilty of trying to emulate those Four Notes in Shine On You Crazy Diamond?

I will put my hand up first ✋
Very guilty of playing the opening to “hmm you were hmm” on the acoustic!

Funny thing is I never really appreciated his ability, I was playing in my first guitar based band in late ‘80s and we had Money in the set list, I couldn’t stand the song, I was too into Scorpions, Vai, Maiden at this time!
Now I think, what a fool. Such a young fool!

Pardon my ignorance, does a narrow field pup give a single coil sound?

I think they're more Humbucker with volume knob on 10. When you roll the volume back to 5 or 6 they get a little closer to single coil-ish. They are clear and articulate, IMO. I think they're great for ZZ Top style stuff and a lot of 70s Classic Rock.

Sorry but you are wrong on that. I felt yours when my hand was half way back down.

I know you are new to playing. Hope you're still enjoying it by the way.

My bad...it's a matter of reflex estimation I suppose. I over estimated my sloth like reflexes, at precisely the same time I underestimated your cat like reflexes...I think.o_O

Oh very much so! Especially now that I'm regaining my sense of touch. It's cool to play and not feel like I'm doing it with dead sticks. It is certainly "better" tonally. I sound much less like Freddie Krueger anyway. Thanks Charlie!

Funny thing is I never really appreciated his ability, I was playing in my first guitar based band in late ‘80s and we had Money in the set list, I couldn’t stand the song, I was too into Scorpions, Vai, Maiden at this time!
Now I think, what a fool. Such a young fool!

In order to be old and wise we must first be young and foolish...kinda thing.

I have always been into the guitarist with the "single coil" type tones, but I did love the shredders as well...The older I get, the more I revert back to the more mellow/bluesy tones...unless I'm in a bad mood, then I like to crank the Pantera, Motorhead, Slayer, Metallica, etc...I get the strangest looks? You know when I'm a one man mosh pit in my back yard. Ehh, what do ya do? Haters gonna hate...:cool:

Last edited:
I think they're more Humbucker with volume knob on 10. When you roll the volume back to 5 or 6 they get a little closer to single coil-ish. They are clear and articulate, IMO. I think they're great for ZZ Top style stuff and a lot of 70s Classic Rock.
Thanks, it’s one of only a few mainstream pickups I’ve no experience of

My bad...it's a matter of reflex estimation I suppose. I over estimated my sloth like reflexes, at precisely the same time I underestimated your cat like reflexes...I think.o_O

Oh very much so! Especially now that I'm regaining my sense of touch. It's cool to play and not feel like I'm doing it with dead sticks. It is certainly "better" tonally. I sound much less like Freddie Krueger anyway. Thanks Charlie!

In order to be old and wise we must first be young and foolish...kinda thing.

I have always been into the guitarist with the "single coil" type tones, but I did love the shredders as well...The older I get, the more I revert back to the more mellow/bluesy tones...unless I'm in a bad mood, then I like to crank the Pantera, Motorhead, Slayer, Metallica, etc...I get the strangest looks? You know when I'm a one man mosh pit in my back yard. Ehh, what do ya do? Haters gonna hate...:cool:
Gotta admit I like both s/c and hb sounds, depends whose hands they’re in. For example Robben Ford dabbles between both and what amazing expression. Jo Bonamassa gets a huge sound when he’s playing in Black Country Communion and if you believe the video, he’s using s/c.
Just too many examples and so many amazing musicians!

Back