That PRS Strat would probably do it though... push me right over the edge... Sell an unplayed guitar or three, and head to the PRS dealer man. I've said the same thing about a 25 watt Archon head for 4 years now. Bought a 50 and still want one, but looks like I'm moving on. But unless they take the PRS strat into the "stratosphere" price-wise, it would have to be mine. They can do a white painted model like my NF3 and I"m all over it. If they "Mayer-ize" it though, I'll probably admire it form afar and just play the NF3 which is one of the greatest guitars ever anyway!

That PRS Strat would probably do it though... push me right over the edge... Sell an unplayed guitar or three, and head to the PRS dealer man. I've said the same thing about a 25 watt Archon head for 4 years now. Bought a 50 and still want one, but looks like I'm moving on. But unless they take the PRS strat into the "stratosphere" price-wise, it would have to be mine. They can do a white painted model like my NF3 and I"m all over it. If they "Mayer-ize" it though, I'll probably admire it form afar and just play the NF3 which is one of the greatest guitars ever anyway!

If the Strat thing happens, and it ends up being as good as the other guitars they've been making the last couple years, it will certainly cause me some trouble!

You mean like the last 32 years?

There's an extra dose of magic in the 15 series pickups and the 594.

I just can't love single-coils anymore. Now, if it had one of those hum-cancelling Ilitch systems...

I gave up true singles in the 00's! I was all Bill Lawrence for my noiseless singles. I keep looking at Suhr, partly because of their silent single coil system.

I figure if we are blessed by a single coil...it will be of the split blade variety. My hands are beyond full just trying to aquire my next two...but I can't help myself...I am a Gilmour head, I need a single coil, but if I can't get his tone with a PRS...fagetaboudit! What can I say...I'm loyal to a fault...

I figure if we are blessed by a single coil...it will be of the split blade variety. My hands are beyond full just trying to aquire my next two...but I can't help myself...I am a Gilmour head, I need a single coil, but if I can't get his tone with a PRS...fagetaboudit! What can I say...I'm loyal to a fault...
Actually, I was trying to imply the idea of PRS developing their own hum-cancelling singlecoil, or perhaps collaborating with Fralin (they've collaborated with him before). You know, maybe on an S2 doublecut or singlecut singlecoil (not a strat, but their own singlecoil-based guitar), since that is where they like to put the Vela, Starla, and Mira pickup-based guitars. But now that I think about it, it'd have to be in the bolt-on neck series. Singlecoils just have a different sound, one which many of us guitar lovers crave.

Actually, I was trying to imply the idea of PRS developing their own hum-cancelling singlecoil, or perhaps collaborating with Fralin (they've collaborated with him before). You know, maybe on an S2 doublecut or singlecut singlecoil (not a strat, but their own singlecoil-based guitar), since that is where they like to put the Vela, Starla, and Mira pickup-based guitars. But now that I think about it, it'd have to be in the bolt-on neck series. Singlecoils just have a different sound, one which many of us guitar lovers crave.

Please pardon my miscommunication. As much as I crave that single coil tone....If it's not a PRS I don't want it! I am smitten with these things! I haven't had the pleasure of playing many other PRSi thus far in my journey...but, no matter which model(s) it might or might not be, a PRS version of a single coil based guitar, will be something, I know for me at least, that will be a must have for us single coil loving types.

Would the bolt on neck...make as much or more difference tonally as say, the type of body/ neck/ fretboard material that would be used on such a widely popular PRS version...plwase forgive my ignorance, just curious.

It's not ignorance, it's a perfectly legitimate question. Unfortunately, I don't know.

...I am a Gilmour head, I need a single coil, but if I can't get his tone with a PRS...

David's sound is desired by many and a common topic on the Internet. Many will go to extraordinary lengths hoping to achieve it. They will buy the same type of guitar, typically a Fender Stratocaster with period correct pickups and control knobs. In addition to this they will spend a fortune buying old amplifiers, replicating his rig, etc, and yet still fall short of the target. Oh the folly of it all. It is akin to buying a vintage Shure 55S Unidyne microphone and expecting to sound like Elvis. A single coil guitar pickup will only get you part way there regardless of which guitar you choose to employ it. David Gilmour's particular tone comes from within and we are what we eat. To achieve David's tone we therefore must closely examine his diet. You would do well to tailboard him in the supermarket and mimic his purchases. Yeah, try that.

Would the bolt on neck...make as much or more difference tonally as say, the type of body/ neck/ fretboard material that would be used on such a widely popular PRS version...plwase forgive my ignorance, just curious.

PRSh has said that it's the wood when I saw him give a talk. He pointed out that if the neck connection is tight on a well-made bolt-on (which is the only kind they'd make) you wouldn't hear a diff if he put glue in the pocket before bolting.

David's sound is desired by many and a common topic on the Internet. Many will go to extraordinary lengths hoping to achieve it. They will buy the same type of guitar, typically a Fender Stratocaster with period correct pickups and control knobs. In addition to this they will spend a fortune buying old amplifiers, replicating his rig, etc, and yet still fall short of the target. Oh the folly of it all. It is akin to buying a vintage Shure 55S Unidyne microphone and expecting to sound like Elvis. A single coil guitar pickup will only get you part way there regardless of which guitar you choose to employ it. David Gilmour's particular tone comes from within and we are what we eat. To achieve David's tone we therefore must closely examine his diet. You would do well to tailboard him in the supermarket and mimic his purchases. Yeah, try that.
ha ha! Indeed it comes from within, but I think in Mr. Gilmour's case his diet has likely changed a lot over the years, yet his tone is pretty darned consistent (despite a variety of guitars and amps!).

All kidding aside, he is the epitome of "tone is in the fingers".

PRSh has said that it's the wood when I saw him give a talk. He pointed out that if the neck connection is tight on a well-made bolt-on (which is the only kind they'd make) you wouldn't hear a diff if he put glue in the pocket before bolting.
Well, maybe that's how you get that strat sound: use the right woods, but put them together "loosely" (trying to describe it non-pejoratively) for the bolt-on joint, and you end up with exactly the opposite of a glued-in neck joint, and maybe that is where the magic comes from?

I just wait can't wait to hear about the Mayer strat. That guitar sounds so good.

Dude! Get an NF3. You're done. It's just mandatory. I can't believe more guys here don't have them. Best neck ever. 57/08 spec narrow field pickups.

I'd love to find one with a rosewood board. They don't pop up for sale often. I guess they're discontinued for poor sales, but seems the folks that have them don't let them go... I could go for a NF3, and wish I still had my 513 Swamp Ash...

There are only two things that would make me leg to of my NF3.
1) I found one with birds
2) I die. And even then, it would go to my grandson unless he goes crazy and becomes a drummer or something. :D

I've wanted a Swamp Ash Studio for a while and even if I got that I wouldn't let go of my NF3.

oh, and maple board is the way to go IMO... gets you a little bit closer to the strat tones you may be chasing.

I've said this too many times... Dial your clean channel right and it can sound pretty close to a strat. Turn the bass and mids down, treble up, etc. Then dial your OD channel right and it's a killer sounding, crazy versatile humbucker guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back