2018 2Q Concert Anticipation

Yeah, concert going these days suck, for me. My buddy, who was much like yours, has forgone concerts. I'm now facing going solo cuz all of my buddies are lame with respect to my likes. I need to start leaning on local forum members!

I went solo for years because my wife had bad knees and can't stand for a whole show. It doesn't bother me at all to go alone, although I have to watch how much Coke/Mountain Dew/Pepsi I drink at a standing show because I can't always get my spot back if I have to hit the bathroom. My buddy would not be a fan of Ghost, so that's a solo show for me. My kids would not dream of going to a concert alone.

The obvious solution here is mate swapping. We trade your wife for me. The sex won't be as good, but the concert lineup will be outstanding.

I went solo for years because my wife had bad knees and can't stand for a whole show. It doesn't bother me at all to go alone, although I have to watch how much Coke/Mountain Dew/Pepsi I drink at a standing show because I can't always get my spot back if I have to hit the bathroom. My buddy would not be a fan of Ghost, so that's a solo show for me. My kids would not dream of going to a concert alone.

The obvious solution here is mate swapping. We trade your wife for me. The sex won't be as good, but the concert lineup will be outstanding.

That might just be a plan!

My Q2 concert was last night at 'The Townsend' here in Austin. The one and only Jennifer Batten played the intimate great sounding backroom. There were about 25 or so people there...It was 90 minutes of her solo multi-media show. Some Beck material, some original material, "I Am The Walrus" and then her finale medley of Michael Jackson instrumentals. Played a H/S/S Washburn Parallaxe thru her Bluguitar Amp1 into a Mesa 1x12 Widebody cabinet(borrowed) (miked SM57) Digitech RP1000, two expression pedals. This has been her performance rig for many years now. I was sitting there watching and listening...forget trying to figure out or understand what she's doing, it was just too advanced for my small guitar brain, especially the 'tapping'. No doubt about it, she's a World Master of the technique. Intensely beautiful, musical and hard rocking too. After the show we exchanged picks. She was using a 'Gravity Classic Standard' 1.5mm. Check out her YouTube channel.

Probably not the audience for it, but I saw Lorde last weekend which was great.
Black Stone Cherry coming up in 3 weeks.
Honorable mention since it's not a concert, but I'll be at Willcutt's 50th anniversary celebration in 2 weeks. PRSh, Brent Mason, Paul Miles... definite anticipation!

Dixie Dregs were freaking INCREDIBLE Saturday night in Atlanta. It was the last show of the tour and the guys were having the time of their lives up there.

Especially noteworthy:

They did a killer version of "The Bash" where Steve Morse played a literally jaw-dropping solo. Seriously one of the best guitar solos I've witnessed. Allen Sloan was so tight on violin with Steve as well.

Allen told the crowd at the beginning of the set that he doesn't really do the music thing anymore and is an MD and will be back in the office on Tuesday!

Jimmy Herring was in town and sat in on the encore for "Refried Funky Chicken" and "Crossroads" and he absolutely tore it up. He had his full size humbucker modded NF3 plugged into a silverface Fender, maybe a Pro or Twin Reverb. Whatever it was, it was CRANKED. They had a towel draped over one half where it was miked. They brought out what looked like a big tool bag to block the other speaker. The interplay between him and Steve was wonderful. I could've watched them all night.

Money well spent!

Dweezil Zappa last night, the Choice Cuts tour. Great set list - lots of little-played classics and rarities. The main set clocked in at 2:55 with another 20 minutes in the encore. Almost three and a half hours. They played "Back In Black" because the vocalist is a local girl - and her mother requested it. The show ended with "Muffin Man", and the soloing on it was epic. It felt like the song was winding down when Dweezil took off on another solo at the end. The band was on fire all night, and Dweezil's playing was on with a capital ON all night.

I just bought tickets for King's X in Buford, GA on June 7 - right in my backyard! A little venue called 37 Main. Only $20 a person and no service fees!
I last saw King's X about 12 years ago opening for Dream Theater and Queensryche, and King's X absolutely rocks!

Tonight's show(5/10) at a small club here in Austin:

Koch-Marshall Trio, Mark Lettieri Trio, and special guest David Grissom...

I recently went to Shaky Knees music festival, got to see Jack White, Greta Van Fleet, The Nationals, and Queens of The Stone Age. Waiting for Tool to get back on tour hopefully..

I still have Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Beth Hart coming up oh, And JJ Grey and Mofro with Blackberry Smoke.. Here come the Mummies is playing at a small venue here. I think I"m going to have to check them out..

I still have Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Beth Hart coming up oh, And JJ Grey and Mofro with Blackberry Smoke.. Here come the Mummies is playing at a small venue here. I think I"m going to have to check them out..

Here Come The Mummies are definitely worth checking out. I have the KWS/Beth Hart show in July. Looking forward to it - his last show was excellent.

Wishbone Ash in Charlotte, April 4th.
Saw them the last two years in a row up in New Hampshire at a small 500 seat venue. Got to meet and talk with the band afterwards. Just the best. Surprised I haven't seen Andy Powell Mentioned in any of the various greatest (guitarist, bands, etc etc). I know this has come and went but had to reply.

Saw them the last two years in a row up in New Hampshire at a small 500 seat venue. Got to meet and talk with the band afterwards. Just the best. Surprised I haven't seen Andy Powell Mentioned in any of the various greatest (guitarist, bands, etc etc). I know this has come and went but had to reply.
The venue in Charlotte is just a little bigger. It's an old theater. While waiting in line to get in, the rest of the band (all except Andy Powell) came out and were talking to a group in line just behind me. They all seem very approachable but I just get too star-struck to say anything.

It was a great show. Also saw them in 2016 at Ram's Head On Stage in Annapolis. Was able to squeeze in a factory tour on that trip.

Back